Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Looking at ordering a new boat package tomorrow for the upcoming season and thought I would get some feedback or input before ordering the package. I have been thinking of running the super puma as a one person with some gear and occasionally a second person. I will be using it for multi day trips mainly. Not many Aire boats in my neck of the woods, mainly Sotar. So I was looking for some pics of super pumas with frame setups to look at. I will be having a frame made local for the boat and was just wondering if anyone has been able to get 2 dry box and a cooler in this little boat and how it works on a 3-4 day with 2 people. I go light on the packing. Any photos of your setups would be sweet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
2 small dry boxes and a small cooler, sure no problem. The inside width of the boat is only 31 inches most standard multi day sized boxes and coolers are in the mid 30 inch range for length.

If the width of each is about 15 inches range you will have 21 inches between your cooler and box for leg room which is a bit tight but not bad.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why are you looking at the Puma series? Are you going to paddle it also, or just want a very maneuverable oar boat? I have seen people use the Super Puma on overnight trips, but the D series would make a better gear hauling rig.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you looking at the Puma series? Are you going to paddle it also, or just want a very maneuverable oar boat? I have seen people use the Super Puma on overnight trips, but the D series would make a better gear hauling rig.
Just looking for a smaller boat, My boating buddies all have larger rafts and we go light enough there is always extra room in their boats for gear. One of my friends just picked up a new Sotar 15SL about a month long ago and got his custom frame for it a few days ago and he has gobs of room with all the boxes. So we have plenty of cargo carrying ability.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Didn't have a puma but ran a 13' Maravia spider. A 4 bay is possible but I ran a 3 bay and was happy with a passenger up front for 3-4 days. Its a great size boat and I regret selling it. There are some pics in my profile of a loaded 13' spider. I consider that size boat kinda like a jeep as far as versatility and go anywhere abilities. Plus you can R2 waterfalls and other crazy stuff if you like.

·
no tengo
1,874 Posts
I took a loaded super puma on a 16 day grand trip and everything went smooth. Here are a couple pics from that trip. First one the superpuma is far left and second pic it is far right but a couple of the other boats were superdupers.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered up the little guy and my frame package, stoked! I will post pics of the build when it is done. Hey does anyone know what's up with not being able to get squaretops?? Cant even buy them local even checked the drift boat dealer and no one wants to cut loose? They said Sawyer is having issues producing oars

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Mania, That's what I was looking for a loaded boat.
Here's a 1998 Super Puma with homemade rowing frame on the San Juan. Not fully loaded, but you can see the cooler in the back. Room for dry box and/or dry bags in the front. I actually prefer to use my SP as a paddleboat on multi-day trips provided that there's another boat around with drybox space. Two up front, me in the back, and fill the middle compartment with dry bags, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey RogueRat,

Here's some shots of my SP on Lodore rigged with a 3-bay cargo frame from WW Machine Works. This boat is quite versatile here in Arkansas for our tight creek runs in both oar/paddle configurations and lazy floats on classic Ozark streams. I'll be using the same basic setup on a low-water MFS trip this July.

Jetlab67

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a buddy put some cute little counterbalanced cataract oars on his. At first I thought he was crazy, until I rowed it. It was wonderful!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jetlab67 sweet picture of the boat loaded down, gives me a good perspective of what to expect.

I got to play around on a new style cat this last weekend on the river. I also see a catboat in my future!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had a buddy put some cute little counterbalanced cataract oars on his. At first I thought he was crazy, until I rowed it. It was wonderful!
I had CB 8.5 oars on my spider, hated them, sent them back. I ordered them without and they screwed up. No need for CB on that short of oar. My 2 pennys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ordered up the little guy and my frame package, stoked! I will post pics of the build when it is done. Hey does anyone know what's up with not being able to get squaretops?? Cant even buy them local even checked the drift boat dealer and no one wants to cut loose? They said Sawyer is having issues producing oars
Sawyer moved their manufacturing plant to Grants Pass but something fell thru on the lease/purchase so their equip to manuf square tops has been down for nearly two months now. Ive had 3 sets on pre season backorder since Dec! Growing pains is all just like theyve had for the past 7 or 8 years and we have had them going on 8 now too. The Super Puma is my personal boat of choice and i run it with 2- 30" RecreTec dry boxes and a 70qt blackrock cooler. Best set up ever! Timmy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts