Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I’m interested how you like those side bags. I’ve seen them online and wondered how much they end up holding.
I really like them. I have had them on my other boat for years. They have a mesh bottom and close with just a standard zipper, so they are not a waterproof bag, but they sure are convenient to stash things that you might need in a hurry (splash jacket, river map, wrench, straps, beers, etc). Just got to make sure you have a bay that is at least 24" wide for them to fit in.

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Why the universal seat mount and crossbar? Is the cooler too close for the oars? I just got my super puma delivered today and I am doing a similar build in the Boise area. Supplies are a bitch to come by.
Exactly. If the passenger was on the cooler I'd be punching them in the back with the oars.

Supplies are very hard to come by right now! I've been waiting for my flip seat mount for over a month and I found out yesterday that NRS is expecting to get 200-300 the first week of June... and I am #281 on the backorder list (out of 403)! Doubting I'll get mine in June..

Having said that, I am now planning on reclaming my garage space for awhile and will be putting this raft away for awhile. If you want to come by and check it out this afternoon/evening shoot me a message and I'll give you my address.

· Registered
2 Posts
@IDriverRunner & @gnarsify — Looking into dry box options for my Super Duper Puma. Now that you've both had your 30" for a while, what are your thoughts on any rubbing or possible damage from such a tight fit?

I would like to get a 30" from Cascade, but I saw that Mad Cow makes a 28" dry box. If you had to do it over, would you go down to the 28" or stick with the 30"?

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It's only been out once, but I have no signs of wear with the 30". If I were to do it over I definitely would go with the same size again. If it eventually started to show wear I'd just glue some sacrificial material on the boat where it was rubbing (had to do that on my 156R because the box wasn't a tight fit so it actually moves and rubs against the tubes more).

· Registered
6,248 Posts
@IDriverRunner & @gnarsify — Looking into dry box options for my Super Duper Puma. Now that you've both had your 30" for a while, what are your thoughts on any rubbing or possible damage from such a tight fit?

I would like to get a 30" from Cascade, but I saw that Mad Cow makes a 28" dry box. If you had to do it over, would you go down to the 28" or stick with the 30"?
given flows this year, the thread title sure doesn't fit!!! haha 😂

(but it was a good old post to bump for a legit drybox fit question, @perryazevedo!)

· Registered
2 Posts
given flows this year, the thread title sure doesn't fit!!! haha 😂

(but it was a good old post to bump for a legit drybox fit question, @perryazevedo!)
LOL! For sure on the thread title. Hopefully, the later snow and extra rain we've been getting will translate to a reduced fire season this year.

As an update to my question above, I actually talked to Todd ad Mad Cow. He strongly advised not letting the boxes rub up on the raft sides for rafts like the AIRE Puma series. So, I decided to go ahead and go with their 28" wide box.

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
LOL! For sure on the thread title. Hopefully, the later snow and extra rain we've been getting will translate to a reduced fire season this year.

As an update to my question above, I actually talked to Todd ad Mad Cow. He strongly advised not letting the boxes rub up on the raft sides for rafts like the AIRE Puma series. So, I decided to go ahead and go with their 28" wide box.
I would agree with Todd. Rubbing was/is the issue with that drybox in my 156, because it was just wide enough to touch the tubes in spots. The 30" in the Super Puma is basically wedged between the tubes (no constant rubbing).

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Last fall I had Stitches N Stuff make me a custom size drop bag for the front bay of the Super Puma. They did a great job on it and it works perfectly! Highly recommend them.

Over this last week I have been wanting something different upfront so I bought some HDPE and SeaDek to make myself a drop bag cover. I drilled and routed holes for the straps to secure it, notches for the cooler sling, and hand holds if I ever had a passenger up front. It also is easily removable and and span between to roll-a-tables for more kitchen space and somewhere to cook on.

Is it perfect? No.

Am I happy with the outcome? Yes

I was hoping to have it on the Middle Fork again next month, but the Ramshorn/wood situation is what is. So, looks like we are shifting over and doing the Main Salmon instead. Can’t wait!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive design

· Registered
Aire Super Puma
4 Posts
Been meaning to post here for awhile and give IDriverRunner a shoutout for the inspiration in building my SP setup last year - couldn't have done it without this thread and it's been nothing but good times so far with this raft! Didn't get her on low water MF but the Main was an experience I'll never forget, looking forward to more this upcoming season!

Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft
Water Boat Sky Plant Water resources
Water Boat Plant community Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Been meaning to post here for awhile and give IDriverRunner a shoutout for the inspiration in building my SP setup last year - couldn't have done it without this thread and it's been nothing but a good time so far with this raft! Didn't get her on low water MF but the Main was an experience I'll never forget, looking forward to more this upcoming season!

View attachment 84272 View attachment 84273 View attachment 84274
Nicely done! If you ever score a low water permit and need another boat in the group please don't hesitate to ask! These boats are a blast and I had a great time with mine on the Main in September.

· Registered
36 Posts
Thank you all for your helpful replies and suggestions! I would love a custom frame but since I don't really know how I want the boxes and gear arranged yet I'll probably end up going with a pieced together NRS frame for now. I picked up some 8.5' oars last week at Cascade River Gear for 10% off. Now onto some pictures (since everyone loves pictures, right?!:

View attachment 64229
Here is the large box that was delivered! Let the happiness begin!

View attachment 64230
Everything was neatly packaged inside.

View attachment 64231
The boat, floor, 2 thwarts, and the patch kit.

View attachment 64232
Rolled out for the first time.

View attachment 64233
Inflated enough to hold it's shape.

View attachment 64234
Flipped over and floor suspended with straps to help with the lacing. The boat came with white rope, but I like to be different. I used grey rope to lace in the floor. No one will ever know it's there... except all of us.

View attachment 64235
Floor laced in. Not hard and only mildly time consuming. It maybe took about 45 minutes?

View attachment 64236
Flipped back over.

Next up: Even though I primarily purchased this to turn into a low water Middle Fork boat I will also use it to have a good time on the Main Payette (or are we calling it "The Spork" now??). I will be laying out and installing thwarts later today. I have a decent system that I use on my 156R using carabiners and Sharpie'd straps to make future removing and installing thwarts a breeze. I'll try to document that as I go along. After thwarts? Figuring out and building my frame!!

· Registered
36 Posts
How do you attach thwarts with the caribeaners? Do you use the straps or d rings as attachment points? I have always wanted a more efficient way to swap out thwarts for frame depending on what I'm doing for the day r6 vs rowing on my 156R & now my puma for fishing frame or R2ing. Cheers on the new boat!

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
How do you attach thwarts with the caribeaners? Do you use the straps or d rings as attachment points? I have always wanted a more efficient way to swap out thwarts for frame depending on what I'm doing for the day r6 vs rowing on my 156R & now my puma for fishing frame or R2ing. Cheers on the new boat!
Yeah, I have straps that go from the thwarts down to the carabiners. The carabiners dont come out so the thwarts go in/come out exactly the same everytime. I also marked on the straps exactly how far through the buckles they need to go. I have this setup the same on my 156R and Super Puma. It makes reinstalling the thwarts stupid easy. haha

· Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, I have straps that go from the thwarts down to the carabiners. The carabiners dont come out so the thwarts go in/come out exactly the same everytime. I also marked on the straps exactly how far through the buckles they need to go. I have this setup the same on my 156R and Super Puma. It makes reinstalling the thwarts stupid easy. haha
Great idea about putting in the carabiners. I love that I can move around the thwarts in my super puma, but I don't love trying to thread the straps through the rope every time, so I like the idea of carabiners to be an automatic placeholder. What size of carabiner do you use? And locking ones?

I

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Great idea about putting in the carabiners. I love that I can move around the thwarts in my super puma, but I don't love trying to thread the straps through the rope every time, so I like the idea of carabiners to be an automatic placeholder. What size of carabiner do you use? And locking ones?
I have the Black Diamond Hotforge Screwgate carabiners (yes, locking). They definitely make reinstalling the thwarts a breeze!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts