Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Beautiful job! After you cut the tubes how did you drill the holes for the LoPro attachment bolts? Thanks.
A drill press and the jig in that link would have been nice!

The process I used was pretty simple. I left one LoPro still installed on the newly cut length of pipe and laid it on the flat garage floor upside down (upside down so the LoPro will prevent the pipe from rolling). Then line up the second LoPro (also upside down) on the outside of the pipe. Stick a pencil through the LoPro fitting to make a mark on the pipe. The I used a hammer and punch on the marked pipe so the drill bit would wander. I drilled out one hole, put the LoPro fitting inside the pipe, then drilled through the pipe again, this time using the LoPro to guide the bit through the other end of the pipe. It was a pretty easy process and I am pleased with the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the feedback! I ended up getting a River Rat dry box from Cascade River Gear this morning. I believe they are made in Oregon. It's a true 30" box so it'll be a tight fit but will maximize what little space there is between the tubes.
That River Rat box looks sweet, but my wallet is glad I didn't find it before the FrontierPlay. Might have to save up a little extra and get one as my second box.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You get what you pay for? They're decent for a chinese made box. I know several folks who have used them for years and I think a couple had to get some cracks welded after several seasons of heavy use. My box seems decently made and haven't had any issues with it and planning on getting a second this year. If you temper expectations I think they are worth it.
We have used a 36" one for years. I was very suspect at first, but it has held up REALLY well.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That River Rat box looks sweet, but my wallet is glad I didn't find it before the FrontierPlay. Might have to save up a little extra and get one as my second box.
The River Rat is solid but very pricey. Buy once cry once, right?? (Full disclosure: I am still crying)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Uhh, sorry, but the Main Salmon is clearly a fork...of the Columbia.
Ummm actually you are both wrong...the Main is a fork of the Snake which is a fork of the Columbia......which is a fork of the.......

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Small update. Today was mildly productive, I installed:
1) 8’ oar mounts w/ Cobra oar locks
2) Two sidebars in the captains bay
3) 1.5” straps from the raft to the D-Rings
4) X-Small Pacific River bag from CRG (I have a much bigger one on my 156R and absolutely love it!)
5) NRS Adjustable Cooler Mount for my cooler

Still need to do:
1) Install perimeter line
2) Waiting on a back-ordered NRS Flip Seat Mount for my seat above the dry box
3) Waiting on a back-ordered NRS Universal seat mount and NRS Crossbar for a front passenger seat in front of the cooler
4) Cut the rails down to size after the back-ordered parts arrive

It should be a fun little boat!

·
Registered
Classic gear, but saving up to update soon.
11 Posts
If you don't mind, when you are all done, would you post an all in cost? I know prices fluctuate over time and location but I would appreciate a real world example cost to help myself budget for my dream boat in the future. I have built dream boat wish lists on the nrs website which come out to around 6k. Just wondering how realistic that is after an actual boat build.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you don't mind, when you are all done, would you post an all in cost? I know prices fluctuate over time and location but I would appreciate a real world example cost to help myself budget for my dream boat in the future. I have built dream boat wish lists on the nrs website which come out to around 6k. Just wondering how realistic that is after an actual boat build.
I can probably help with that. Not sure about the etiquette of posting prices here (I did get some stuff at a discount and/or on sale, so maybe I can just put current retail prices?). So are you looking for a breakdown of the entire build when I'm done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice looking rig! I have one just like it minus the river rat box but with added running boards and an anchor system.

I'd be courious how your oar length geometry with the 8" oar stands and sitting on the drybox is feeling for you. I'm using 8' oars and 10" stands, and my seat is on a crossbar. Mine rows great and was a giant leap forward from where I started with 6" stands. It was kind of tricky, at least for me, to get right on that narrow little boat.

I just got an XS Pacific river bag for a super puma I recently acquired. I'm quite impressed with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were rolling a plain old puma. Super puma, I'm feeling like shorter oar risers will be better. I'm gonna try 6" but betting I'll need 8".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those are some beautiful side running boards, or whatever they are called.
Wood with black paint? How are you planning on attaching it to the frame, just a bunch of cam straps?
I'm in the final phase of fashioning my own set, so would love any thoughts or tips.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, I finally pulled every back off the boat and got the perimeter line on. It took half a dozen tries of deflating the boat/retying/inflating the boat to get the tension just the way I want it. The end result is that the line is TIGHT but still allows the boat to be fully inflated. I used 3/4" solid braid multi-filament polypropylene from Amazon. I have the same stuff on my 156R and had no issues with it. I haven't cut any excess off yet, but will. It makes a nice bow line. Does anyone else do that too? If so, how much material do you leave?

This is knot that I used. I don't know the name of it. When I purchased my 156R back in 2012 the nice people at Aire (actually, it was Idaho River Sports when they had a second location at the AIRE factory) they gave me this short section of rope with the knot that they recommended.

Loose:

Tight:

·
Registered
Classic gear, but saving up to update soon.
11 Posts
I was taught this as a lovers knot when I made jewelry. Easy way to slip on a bracelet or necklace and still be able to tighten it down easily to a preferred fit. Makes good sense for a perimeter line.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Beautiful job! After you cut the tubes how did you drill the holes for the LoPro attachment bolts? Thanks.
I’ve cut crossbars several times. I cut the vat then mount it on the boat having lined up the location of the LoPro hole. I start with a very small bit then progressively increase. The lLoPro hole acts as a guide. It’s not necessarily exact but it’s been successful so far.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts