Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an aire lynx cell floor solo for $350. Is that a flood deal on it? It was a rental in good condition. What are pros or cons of the cell floor vs air?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a puma that had that type of floor. I really liked it. It was very stable to walk on and it made the boat very rigid front to back. The problem came about ten years in (maybe less). The floor started soaking up water like a sponge.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My friend has an old model Force with a cell, I presume you mean foam, floor for the last 15 yrs. No problem at all. The only con is that if you want to fold up the boat real tight the floor has to be removed. If the lynx you want is otherwise OK, get it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Agree on getting it. I by know means tried to discourage you. As long as it's not water logged I thought it was a great floor. JIMM is right though on folding. If your looking to pack the boat you may not like it. Oh and my Puma saw 50+ days a year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies,

How hard/time is it to take out the floor if I wanted to deflate the tubes? I have a xterra to transport it around

How would I tell if the bottom gets water logged? It was a rental.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It not something you want to do every weekend. If the zipper works well it isn't to bad. There isn't any risk of damage to a bladder. I bet that boat would look pretty nice fully inflated and tide upside down ( like a canoe) atop of your Xterra.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As far as the water logged issue I am not sure you could tell for sure unless you put it on the water. If the foam is soggy now then it's water logged. If it sat for the past six months it may have just dried out but still absorb water. My friend that bought my boat talked to Aire about this and they said short of replacing it there isn't much you can do. Maybe they would let you demo the boat then you could check the foam at the take out. I hope it's OK because it's a real nice set up if it is. Replacements may be affordable to if the plastics in good shape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will contact him about testing it out. What would the procedure of checking for waterin the foam? Unzip it and see if it's wet?

He said it held air all winter and is a bit dirty but no patches. I will be in the area this weekend he is selling it this weekend.

Do you think the lynx is a better deal than the bandits on sale in the gear swap here for $395?

·
Registered
506 Posts
No to sure about values of IKs. The foam will be not just wet but heavy with water. A lot like a wet sponge. It may not be an issue at all. My boat saw a lot of use. It also had the floor that allowed water in so as to act as a ballast. Maybe that one doesn't. I think I would rather buy a boat that I can look at in person if things seem about equall.

·
Registered
417 Posts
OH BTW, before I came across my friends Force that I mentioned in my above post, I also had a lynx with a foam floor. Bear in mind the following: Lynxes with foam floors are by definition very old. They repl the foam with air bladders a long while back. So it may be quite an old boat.Definitely get your hands and eyes on it before putting down $.Also, my lynx had 3 pieces of foam, one big piece in the middle and one each at either end.Certainly not a deal breaker if all else is good.
Good luck_ you really cannot beat AIREs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have owned and paddled the closed foam floor lynx. Disregard the people that tell you it will take on water...it doesn't. It is closed cell foam. The only significant downside is that the boat won't roll up. That is all... As mentioned above, it is in 3 pieces so it can be folded but it is really just easier to treat it like a hard shell and strap it to the roof.

Some people love the foam floor. I feel like it is a very small difference overall. The floor is a bit lower on the foam floor boats, making them seem a bit more stable to me. $350 is a good deal if the zippers all work well, the valves are solid, and any patches are well applied.

You can tell the age of the boat by looking at the last two numbers of the serial number.

Also, take a look at the condition of the cargo loops, they can be damaged over time and are not easy to replace.

Last side note...if it has the ~1996 really weird wedge chair, replace this immediately. They are terrible...Sotar IK seats are on sale until April 12 for like $46 or something.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mine took on water and when this was mentioned to Aire they told my friend who I sold it to that it is bound to happen they correctly guessed the boats age and as mentioned told him he would need to replace the floor. It may be why they quit making it. The boat was still useable but heavier both in the water and out. May not be a noticeable issue in an IK. But I didn't just come up with this story.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have a 18 yo lynx cell foam floor. Ours looks like new we keep it in the garage litly inflated and tie it up side down on the vehicle. I have only taken it apart twice in the time we've owned it. My brother had the same thing but used it as a lake toy for his kids also it stayed wet for weeks at a time and the floor rotted. To tell if a floor is rotted out you just have to poke it. You will know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I contacted the guy and he had sold it but that might fall thru due to shipping.
The boat has hardly been used was stored mostly the lately, supposed to be in great shape. If I am able to get it what kind of straps should I used to tie down on the roof?
He also has a couple extra foam floors, should I get one and try cutting it in half for easier hauling?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Regular cam straps work fine. I wouldn't cut the foam at all. It may cause buckling on the water in rapids.
Just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't think cutting them was a good idea, saw someone mention it though.
Would you get 12 or 15 ft can straps or a different length?

·
Registered
140 Posts
foam floor

I have a foam floor lynx. I don't have any problem removing the foam from the floor. I tied some loops to the zipper to make it easier to open and close the zipper. I remove the floor after every trip. With the floor out the boat rolls up into a small package.

I would advise against cutting the floor.

When I am transporting the floor inside my Subaru wagon I stand the floor up like a horseshoe and the middle of the floor is up against the ceiling.

I have never noticed the foam absorbing water.

I have transported the boat on my roof rack inflated. I think 9' straps were long enough over the top of the boat, but that was last summer and I might of added another piece to the 9' strap.

I will admit the boat is not as convenient to transport as my air floor IK.

The kid prefers to paddle the foam floor boat versus the trib.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just as another option if you do happen to get it. If you try it, and the foam floor is not working for you, you can get the air cell floor for $375 from Aire. They have instructions for retrofitting them, and I don't think it would be hard. Just another option if you are interested. I think I have sold my brother-in-law on this idea with his lynx ii.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had the Puma with the solid floor and was numbed they quit doing it. I thought it was awesome. But that was in a boat that I stood in a fair bit. I think I would like that floor in any boat. Even if you had to replace the foams every decade or so. That being said, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as an IK may be different as you are always on the floor.

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts