Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked up the Force a lot on this forum over the years, and I do believe the current model is the best IK ever made. I just noticed it's part of the NRS clearance at $1279. Thought I'd give everyone interested in these a "heads up."

Of course this post would make more sense in an IK forum...

·
Jared
734 Posts
I saw that, made me wonder if NRS is just going to stop selling them, or are they going out of production all together. I bought a Force XL on 9-11-2001 and paddled it all over for about 10 years. It was a great boat, until I got too fat for it :(

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Learch, you should try the new one, it has bigger tubes. That or jogging. ; )

I bet they don't sell too many of them, but I hope they don't discontinue it. I've only seen one of the new ones on the river since they came out in 2012.

·
Registered
312 Posts
looks like only 1 yellow left....

any idea what the max weight limit on these is?! just wondering because the 10ft SOTAR only has 200lb max paddler weight.... and yet the 11' ft sotar has a 375lb weight limit...

·
Registered
462 Posts
FWIW, Aire site says load capacity = 275lb.
(But that doesn't necessarily mean it will perform at its best at 275 - for example, boatpeople says over 200, you'll be sitting in some water unless you keep the floor rock hard).

·
Registered
462 Posts
...the 10ft SOTAR only has 200lb max paddler weight.... and yet the 11' ft sotar has a 375lb weight limit...
Where did you get those numbers? (I don't see that on the Sotar site -- maybe you spoke with them?) That does seem like a huge difference for 1 foot -- maybe tube diameter is larger on the 11'?

Edit: Oh, I see paddler weight vs. total weight limit -- that might have somethingto do with it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
on the left side of their page, you can click on the link to download their brochure or whatever.... that is the ONLY place the max weight is listed.... I know the numbers don't make sense to me either... but its true... I have confirmed on the phone...

and I didn't mean to put two different symantics.... its 200lb total weight limit for the 10 ft and 375 weight limit for the 11'.... I know it doesn't make much sense...

I had bought a 10 footer from the hot sheet.... but then realized im over the limit and am having to pay a pretty penny to make the change to an 11....

I paddled the 10 a good bit ,,, and I love the boat, but did feel a bit squirrelly... thus I am making the change to an 11. ... after I get some time on the 11', I will post a review of the two... because there is not a lot of info on SOTAR IK's.. and there is no other boat id rather own!!! def. my favorite. However I have not paddled a force, but seen a few....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Gracias for that link -- I forgot about that price list (and that it has some additional specs buried in it that are not in the standard boat section -- I guess it's more impopratant that they build good boats than websites). I've been thinking of a Sotar 11' IK for a while but just haven't been able to justify the $ (maybe if I tried one and couldn't resist).

·
Registered
312 Posts
I should edit that SOTAR has been very fair with me to swap out boats. I couldn't really ask for better customer service , when you are dealing with hand made boats....

they are very expensive. but so beautiful. and perform truly wonderfully.. its almost like a canoe/kayak. effortless.

with this 11'. ill be able to carry gear for expeditions.. and I am confident it will still handle very well and be very fun and easy to maneuver.

I also just like the single layer construction ( no zippers), and I like c7 valves .

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder what Solar would charge to basically make a Force. A 10' boat with float bags fore and aft would be the best. I'm not crazy about the Aire Cell design, but the boat not filling with water is the biggest performance difference IMO.

·
Registered
312 Posts
the sotar drains crazy fast!!! I never sit in water... ( and that was the 10 footer and being over the weigth limit) , and I did buy watershed bags for front and back to experiment with adding air to them to shed water.... but haven't really needed them....

·
Jared
734 Posts
My wife had a 10 foot Sotar when I was paddling my Force XL, I thought the 10 foot Sotar did better than the Force XL with me in it. She only flipped that boat once, and I never did, even at a 300 lb load. I could submarine my Force pretty well, and it felt squirrelly before some of the water drained out. I'd buy an 11' Sotar in a heartbeat (if I could afford to). I sat in a new Force, and I don't think my 6'6" frame would do too well in one. I really had to balance where my ass was in the Force XL, a few inches dramatically changed the handling for me. I have short legs and a long torso, and I'm not very flexible in the middle. I put a lot of weight up high on any kayak. Lately I've been paddling my buddie's 14 foot long Momentum Harrier kayak, with 14 inch tubes and huge upkicks, I love that thing. I'd love to have one about 2 feet shorter and made of PVC, with a few more bailing holes. I agree with Grateful one, the Sotars bail so fast, I don't see much of a need for floatation.

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the sotar drains crazy fast!!! I never sit in water... ( and that was the 10 footer and being over the weigth limit) , and I did buy watershed bags for front and back to experiment with adding air to them to shed water.... but haven't really needed them....
Hmmmm... I might try the Sotar next season and experiment. Been guiding Sotar boats a little this season and really like them.

Anyone want to buy a 2012 purple Force?

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,267 Posts
My wife had Custom Inflatables make her a Thrllseeker this year. A friend brought a Sotar IK on the San Juan that was built for an ECO Challenge and I remarked that it was shaped and handled very much like the Thrillseeker. This last weekend I was told that Attilla at Custom Inflatables designed Sotar's IK when he worked for them. Not certain how accurate that info is but he has deals on used ones right now and a new, custom one only cost my wife about $400 more. They make more than one model but some replicate the Sotar nearly exactly. The floor is different though.
Custom Inflatables, Inc. | Ready to give you the ride of your life!

·
Jared
734 Posts
I think AIRE had the Outfitters on sale early this year, but the reason was they changed the design slightly and blew out the older designs.

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think AIRE had the Outfitters on sale early this year, but the reason was they changed the design slightly and blew out the older designs.
I think they did that with the Lynx. The new Lynx is 2 inches deeper, has the bottom grab loops, and more kick (I think). I wouldn't buy an old Lynx, but have thought about one for a big water duck. I would add the float bags to that one...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts