Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
jgrebe shares good info - very stable and forgiving boat, but can be a real pig if it gets overloaded. Here's my cougar partially unloaded so you can see the set up better. I have just enough room between the tubes (about 16") to drop coolers in lengthwise, and then I have a suspended floor below my seat. If you don't need two coolers, you can run a cooler and drybox, or action-packer, or whatever. I prefer the floor in the rower's compartment, especially on the Grand (depending on time of year), to limit splash - even with the floor it is a very splashy boat since you sit so much closer to the water. I run 10.5' oars and my frame is about 84" from oarlock to oarlock.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
My boat came with the stock breakdown frame from Aire. It is 72" across with 28" between the tubes. I run 10' oars with this. This size has worked well for me so far. The closeness of the tubes helps me a lot when bracing and when trying to climb back in.

Of course, I have never even seen another Cougar around here, so I never really gave that setup much thought. It would be interesting to try the 2 different frame sizes side by side to see if the extra foot and half in width would really make that much difference either way.

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks a ton Jgrebe, Jamwin, and Bosco. There is so much helpful info here. Jamwin I really like the set up you have. Jgrebe could you explain or show me a picture of the beavertail concept. Not quite tracking with you there.

Bosco I am interested in that same test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The third photo in BoscoBoaters post reminded me that the front seat passenger gets a face full of water as the boat punches waves. Those twin tubes have a way of focusing the splash dead center.

I added a casting platform that minimizes the effect. I intended to use it only for fishing trips but found it useful, so I leave it on all the time.
On my Hyside of the same design, I have a frame extension and board that go across the tubes ahead of the floor that I rig a small cooler to to minimize splash. Seems tiny but makes a huge difference on Class III.
Class IV+t here's nothing you
Sky Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Motor vehicle Gas
can do for your passenger except tell them to hang on lol.
Water Boat Plant community Mountain Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can only find one picture of my camping set up right now. I have a cargo section that adds about 4 feet to the main frame. The side are decked over, and my wide table goes across the back. So, basically I have the entire flat area of the tubes decked over. My girlfriend doesn't like to get splashed, but she does like to see, so all the hard gear goes up front, an she sits up high on the folded futon mattress with dog and the other soft gear.

When I'm just running day trips, she has to sit up front to balance the boat. You can see why she prefers sitting in the back. ;)

She does like the views from up front though.:)

:cool:
The "oh shit" rope on the front is definitely necessary with these boats. If the Aires are anything like the Hysides, the whole front 3 feet of the boat go under water and straight through hydraulics.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts