Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase an Aire 143 but am having some difficulty deciding between which model to buy. I have been a hard boater for many years but this will be my first foray into the rafting world. I understand that there is a lot more room on the 143R but how much more manuverable is the 143D? I seem to think that more manuverability is definatly worth the loss of space. Help!

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
If you want good advice, offer up more of what your expectations are.

I have the 156CDE (no longer made) and it is narrow. It punches stuff great and maneuvers well, but it barely has 3' of space between the tubes in the middle and is less than 3' near the ends. This thing is not a big gear hauler and you want to cut 2 feet off the length.

If paddle rafting and light loads are your goal get the skinny one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm looking at running mostly day trips for the next few years while the kids are at home and then hoping to go on extended trips with the wife later. i'll mostly be using the boat in northern cal. so the american, tuolumne and klamath are likly runs. thanks

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Sounds like those are class IV runs with maybe one night on the river so the D should be good for you. I took a 143D on the grand canyon for 20 days so while the R might have been more appropriate for that trip the D worked just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking to purchase an Aire 143 but am having some difficulty deciding between which model to buy. I have been a hard boater for many years but this will be my first foray into the rafting world. I understand that there is a lot more room on the 143R but how much more manuverable is the 143D? I seem to think that more manuverability is definatly worth the loss of space. Help!
Marksmac,
I have a 143D (which is listed for sale in the Mountainbuzz classified forum). The bow and stern have more room than the R series due to the diminished tubes on the ends. This is more a factor if you're using it as a paddle raft and not an oar rig. (see pics in my listing, there's a good one from a bird's eye point of view). All the thwarts are moveable or removable.

If you're interested in my boat, I'm willing to ship out west for the full asking price.

Feel free to email me.
yakbob(at)nycap.rr.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 143r and find it very versatle. I like multi day trips with my oar frame and find it fills up quick as a single boat. It's great when there are a bunch of boats to split the load. I like the width as I use a 128 qt cooler and 2 aluminum dry boxes. I had a 143e and didn't like it as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hows the 143R when used as a paddle raft on harder class IV and V? I've spent plenty of days in a 143E, but never the 143R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts