Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got back on the water, first time doing anything other than a tube float in 30 years. Rowed from Palisade to Redlands. A work buddy was brave enough to come with me despite knowing I had never rowed a raft, just canoes years ago or my old Klepper fold up which I use on a local lake.

Ran into a lot of problems (which happens when you've 1: Never set up a raft and 2: set up your raft in your driveway).

I was clearly sitting too high. The raft came with this fishing seat and I brilliantly moved it to be the captain's chair thinking it would be more comfortable. It was. But it put me up so high that when I would bring the oars out of the water to move them forward or back they'd hit my legs or (danger ops!) get stuck under the seat.

Stopped and re-configured the oars so they were further in the water but still would run into that problem.

The bimini is just on those temporary blocks until I could see where it would work, it actually worked great. We didn't need it until about halfway through (noon-ish) and then it was a lifesaver. I'm going to order the Coyote bimini mounts so I can adjust it back and forth depending on whether I'm alone or with the wife and kid.

So based on that knowledge I've now re-configured the raft somewhat.

The drybox at the bow stays. It fits nicely there and will serve for my wife's seat and the bow area has a wooden floor for our baby to stand. I'll move the thigh bar down so she can hold onto it. It fills the space so there's no open spaces to grab little feet and she can't get stuck between the box and the sides. If I moved any of my coolers into that spot there'd be side space.

I've removed my comfortable fishing seat and lowered the cooler to the floor. This drops my butt about 6"-8" I'll get out and do the Palisade to Corn Lake run again this week (2 hours) and see if that helped any. If not I'll order taller oar towers. I think my oars are long enough, they're 9' tip to tip. I'm 6'2" I'm hoping they're the right size for a 14' raft because I'm tapped out for putting more money into this!

My oar towers are on the outer rail, if I move them to the inner rail (can I?) would that affect things and give me more oar while still keeping them in the water?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I move my oar towers to the inner rail instead of on the outer rail that will give me about 7" which would bring the handles in closer to me and my chest while still keeping the oars in the water nicely.

I think. Maybe I'll take it to a lake to set it up where I can paddle around, float, make changes, etc.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do you have any pics of your revised seating position? That'll be help us guide you into a better ergonomic set. Good news! After a quick look you definitely have some glaring issues that when resolved will make rowing much more fun for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s in my hay shed now out of the sun so this is best I can do.

The cooler is the rowing seat. It’s lower than the oar towers now. I have a larger cooler and if I use that I’ll move one of my water jugs. I keep both there to remove foot traps.

I have another dry box I’ll use as a seat for multi day trips and move the cooler to behind the front dry box.

I could add another bar behind the cooler to move forward, too.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts