Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this in the shop yesterday. Pretty cool new boat that apparently might make a production model pretty soon. Custom boat that an outfitter friend of mine asked for. Curious what you buzzards might think. 21" side tubes, double diminishing down to 16". Continuous rocker. 6'8" wide, 13'6" long. 15" kick, 13" from 2" waterline. Aire liked the idea enough that they built this one, and it sounds like they might make it a new model.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prototype has to go back to Aire. This one isn't being sold to the outfitter. I hope they give this to Oregon raft team or someone to proof it. Those boys know how test gear. Too damn cold too run it around here in the next week. Kind of bummed about the weather I'd like to row this thing. I'm just fitting some frames to it.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I love the looks of that thing! Way to go on the new shape Aire. I hope that is what youre doing to the 16.
Aire has had a 160DD for awhile. They are currently on sale.
http://www.aire.com/aire-raft/160DD.asp

Dimensions on the 136DD are similar to the Sotar SL 13 & SL 14. I sure love my SL 14. I bet folks will love this AIRE raft design. Looks sweet in the purple!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Aire has had a 160DD for awhile. They are currently on sale.
160DD River Raft | AIRE

Dimensions on the 136DD are similar to the Sotar SL 13 & SL 14. I sure love my SL 14. I bet folks will love this AIRE raft design. Looks sweet in the purple!
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/great-deals-out-there-58357-17.html

You're right. When I posted the sale of the 160DD in this "great deal" thread Aire responded that they are updating the kick on the 16. I was just saying that I really hope it looks like this prototype. It's hard to tell just by looks but it looks great.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/great-deals-out-there-58357-17.html

You're right. When I posted the sale of the 160DD in this "great deal" thread Aire responded that they are updating the kick on the 16. I was just saying that I really hope it looks like this prototype. It's hard to tell just by looks but it looks great.
Got it. I haven't been watching the great deal thread for awhile. Cool that Aire is making a smaller DD raft, and increasing the rocker in the bigger one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Come to think of it the rockered boats are already represented in their "D" series. I thought the DD was a less rockered, "D" design with a higher load capacity, (which I really appreciate) and a higher kick would give it even more of a play mix. I'm really excited to see the new revisions. Keep in mind that I'm saying all of this with my limited understanding of their designs.

Without specs not sure how the above prototype fits in the mix.

·
Banned
258 Posts
It looks like another boat someone just developed, most of you probably haven't seen it yet. But if I had to guess it is real similar design to a new boat that was chosen for a upcoming event. Cool looking boat. You will see couple more pop up this year like that. Thanks for sharing Todd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty stoked Aire worked with me on my idea. I've been a commercial guide for 20 years trying to address some things I see on my trips. First comfort of customers, constantly watching customers struggle with staying comfortable and sitting on the tubes. 21 inch tubes are super comfortable to sit on and yet I think they will feel like they are not fallin out of boat,therefore keeping them where they need to be. Diminished tubes for a fun wet Ride and again more room. Our raft company runs a small river so 13 foot raft is great until a family of 8 wants to.stay in the same boat. The 13'6 DD should boat similar to a 13 ft raft but with space and compa city of a 14 to 15 boat. I love aire rafts but never thought they had enough kick, so we added more. This boat is similar in dimensions to a sotar sl but I really like the aire bladder system and how fast aire boats bail. After seeing the boat I think aire nailed the design for what I wanted to accomplish. I also think this is going to be a great small raft for big water. Next year I'll have to find away to buy enough rafts so they can make a 12ft6 version.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It looks like another boat someone just developed, most of you probably haven't seen it yet. But if I had to guess it is real similar design to a new boat that was chosen for a upcoming event. Cool looking boat. You will see couple more pop up this year like that. Thanks for sharing Todd
Except this one IS developed and there are pictures right here for you to see. Very convenient of you to come out on a public forum and insinuate that they copied a different boat that were going to see sometime soon.

Someone who? What Event? Just Chosen by whom? If your not going to say anything why bother trying to say ANYTHING? Unless you're just trying to compete with ptex1 there fpr credit.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Come to think of it the rockered boats are already represented in their "D" series. I thought the DD was a less rockered, "D" design with a higher load capacity
Mttodd would you be willing to take a picture that shows the rocker of that boat? Is it a lot of continuous rocker or...?

·
Registered
446 Posts
For a 13'6" raft the Double Diminished (DD) front tubes sure make it look a lot bigger than it's specs say. Also the extra kick will provide numerous benefits in holes/hydraulics and as you can see, interior space. Maybe Equivalent to the Wave Destroyer of rafts?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the top chafe pad, grey heavier material is 80". I'll be down at the shop tomorrow. I'll try to get a pic of the continuous curve. And some accurate measurements.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The interior room is unbelievable for a 13'6 boat. I am a.big guy and I could run a stick with a person on each side of me with no one being uncomfortable. The kick is such if someone is seated in the center a paddle guide or someone on a stern frame still has perfect vision. I also thought this may be the wave destroyer of rafts. Interior width is right at 37.5 inches. The 13'6 length will allow a 3 bay frame to fit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For a 13'6" raft the Double Diminished (DD) front tubes sure make it look a lot bigger than it's specs say. Also the extra kick will provide numerous benefits in holes/hydraulics and as you can see, interior space. Maybe Equivalent to the Wave Destroyer of rafts?
Good comparison. Reminds me of the first gen wave destroyer. The boat had way too much kick and got stomped in big waves. This boat looks like it will have the same results.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts