Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a disscussion on these from a seperate thread, but wanted to get more opinions. I feel like I have a fairly good sense of the required pressure in my tubes and floor, but... Should I be more careful with knowing exactly how much pressure I'm running? Seems like overkill to have these, but wondered what others thoughts and experiences have been. Great idea... just not sure if they are really needed.

https://www.triboutdoor.com/aircap

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Cool idea..but a solution in search of a problem that doesn't really exist.

And on the other hand, far be it for me to dissuade anyone else from buying rafting gear, says the gear slut.

If you have a raft, most self-bailing floors have a PRV...so you could just put one on a tube. Consider that while most rafts have baffles, and unless your inflation was way out of whack, you could run a single AirCap and know within ~0.5psi what the pressure is in the other 2-3 perimeter tube sections.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you can remember to check your gauge you can remember to feel your boat. I think these would be much more useful if they had an alarm or auto bleed when a set pressure is exceeded.

·
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
77 Posts
Most folks I know inflate their boats over the recommended 2.5 - 3 psi and run them relatively "hard". The blow-off valve on your self-bailing floor is designed to go off at 2.5 psi to prevent delamination of the floor beams(regular floor not drop-stitch). If your tubes are much harder than your floor than you're over inflating. On multi-day trips I usually see people topping off their main tubes in the cool morning air, the boat is soft so they add more air to make it hard again. Unless the boat has a leak, it didn't loose any air overnight, the air molecules are just smaller. The problem, they're adding more air than they need and they'll be way above 3 psi as the day warms-up. I'll add air to my floor in the morning because it did loose air through the blow-off valve but I leave my main tubes alone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a pressure gauge with the intent of getting really meticulous about having the perfect pressure in my raft. It doesn’t get used. If you have made it this long without one you’ll probably be fine without one. Even after that purchase I’m still a knuckle push pressure test kind of guy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why not use a regular pressure gauge? We didn't have good luck with the NRS gauges, switched to K Pump gauges this year, and like them. Mine lives in my PFD.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I run an Leafield gauge. I like it and I was too conservative before I used it. It's likely overkill but I find people are all over the place when they estimate their pressure. But failures are rare so there must not be a problem. "Drum tight" is great and all but I'm not a drummer.

I also plug my floor PRV because fuck those things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts