Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do they recommend against using an air compressor to top off rafts/cats etc. Seems to me if you had a dessicator on the compressor and gradually brought the pressure up equally in all compartments and checked pressure in intervals with a low psi guage, it should not be a big deal.

·
Registered
796 Posts
They recommend against it to cover liability against people who wouldn't do all those steps and blow up their rafts to 30 psi.

Sounds like a lot of effort just to top off a boat though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a foot pump from the boat people that cost like $35. Total time spent topping off my 12 foot raft is under 3 minutes. Simple = good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Compressed air contains some moisture due to the nature of condensing air. That is why on the bottom of compressor tanks there is a drain valve to clear the tanks of water. I don't use mine because I don't want to get moisture in my tubes (albeit it's a small amount of moisture). May not be a big deal...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compressed air contains some moisture due to the nature of condensing air. That is why on the bottom of compressor tanks there is a drain valve to clear the tanks of water. I don't use mine because I don't want to get moisture in my tubes (albeit it's a small amount of moisture). May not be a big deal...
The water vapor is present regardless of the air being compressed or not - it just precipitates out when compressed. That same water vapor is getting pumped into your boat with a hand or foot pump, you just don't see it. If the raft tubes were clear, we would see all the condensation on the inside of our boats forming when tubes warmed by sun come in contact with cold water - just like on our frosty beverages. So...I tend to think its more of a liability thing for tards incorrectly/over inflating boats than something that is bad for the raft/cat structure.

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
If you're considering an air compressor to blow up a raft, read this thread.

-AH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts