Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I am planing a trip to go run waterfalls in my spring break (march 5 - 14). I want to go tampico, mexico. does anybody have any beta or know where i can get beta for the trip? plus we use more people. we are leaving out of durango, co

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Hello everybody I am planing a trip to go run waterfalls in my spring break (march 5 - 14). I want to go tampico, mexico. does anybody have any beta or know where i can get beta for the trip? plus we use more people. we are leaving out of durango, co
The area outside Tampico isn't Agua Azul - you're referring to the Huasteca / Santa Maria area around Ciudad Valles. But March is not the time to go- it'll be bone-dry around there & you won't be boating much, if at all. Go to Arizona for spring break- probably more water than you can shake a stick at, with about a 1/8 the drive. Save the Mexico trip for Thanksgiving break- that's a good time to go during school. There's a lot of beta on this site- just do a search for 'Micos' or 'Valles' & you'll find a lot of info.

The "real" Agua Azul is in Chiapa, near the border with Guatemala. Probably pretty scary right now, and that would be about a 40 hour drive from Durango. And I doubt it's running right now either.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
what's scary about chiapas and agua azul right now?
It's always been pretty lawless part of the country, but my understanding is that the recent war of the Mexican government versus the drug lords has made travel in many areas a bit more dangerous than it used to be. Seems that Grant Amaral doesn't offer guided trips down there either, but maybe that's because of the isolation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
the drug war violence is mostly around the boarder and northern mex. chiapas is far away. south. agua azul is in a public park with many visitors. a very safe place to play. the drops are numerous with tons of different horizon lines and options for getting vert. you can run top to bottom, scout everything and make sure you dont land on swimmers in the pools below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts