Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--here's my story: i would like to boat on class 3 rivers, narrow and/or wider, more volume, pool drop or creeks for up to a month at a time with my boyfriend/friend. I used to guide on class 3 rivs. in rafts and have i hardshell kayaked on 4's, but i get scared in hard shells. :shock: so now i want a boat that i can challenge myself on, but still choose to do mellow rivers on and MAYBE moose hunt (although--IK's don't hold much weight). i am in alaska which requires lots of fly in access points and i am thinking of tripping to costa rica with the boat.

I am looking at the Maverick II, Bandit II, Lynx II, Super Lynx, Tom Cat tandem, and Strike II. (basically the tandem IK's in the NRS catalogue).

They all seem similiar to me with slight difference in the amount that they weigh (24#, 39#-48#), the size of the rocker (9.25"-18"), the length of the IK (12'5"-14"), the width is VERY similiar, and the Fabric is either Hypalon, Urethane coated nylon or PVC with Urethane bladder. The prices vary quite a bit: $649-$1400.

What can you tell me about usability of the boats: how easy is it to attach gear, adjust seats, push through holes. Do any of the boats track better or maneuver easier. preferences between AIRE, Tributary and NRS boats--why?

ANYTHING you can tell me about why one boat is better than another would be helpful!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL INFO you can impart!

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used both the Aire and the NRS, single and two seater, the only thing I had issues with are the seats/ back rest, the NRS had a cool balloon that was easier on my back then the Aire but both were fun..

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
254 Posts
If gear capacity is your priority, the Lynx 2 (the only tandem I've paddled) can hold a hell of a lot of gear. I'm an old school kayaker so I'm used to big boats but the Lynx 2 is a BIG boat for solo paddling. I've used it on low water, rocky, class 3 and it did fine. But it sure isn't the boat for tight eddy turns or, heaven forbid, creeks. Especially if you are a small person its just a lot to push around. Otherwise it tracks great and certainly can handle big water.

If paddling performance, and not capacity, is your priority I recommend going with a single IK. The single Lynx is a great versatile boat, tracks well, and can still hold plenty of gear for a self-supported trip. There are lots of good boats to pick from in this category and others are often cheaper.

I personally will almost always grab one of my single IK's vrs the Lynx 2 for self-supported use unless I'm in real lounge mode with the big cooler.

"up to a month at a time"... ooh I'm envious!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I dont know if hyside makes a tandem, but i would reccomend hyside because of their durability and reputation. Of course they are a little more pricey. Youll get what you pay for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
forget the doubles

forget the doubles, I have done several long ducky trips, including a class v first descent. The aire lynx is great and will carry all you need for a pretty long trip, I have done eight days and took a lot of luxury items as well as all my camp gear. Also took it to Costa Rica and did several trips there as well. The doubles give you extra capacity but you don't really need it. The aires have excellent tie down capabilities and some great accesories like their cargo hold. P.M. if you want more free advice or tips.

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Here's the ultimate inflatable:

http://westpacmarine.com/winslow/oceanrescue.asp
:shock:
Seriously, though- the Bandit is a decent low-cost option, but the seat backs are a little flimsy. I got one for a fun alternative for other folks while I row, and the feedback it that it's not ultra-supportive for sitting upright and paddling forward. I'm going to modify it a little for the next raft trip, but it's basically a way to give the heavy drinkers in their own boat. It also has more of a tracking-hull design - good for the San Juan or Ruby Horsethief, but not exactly a Browns Canyon IK.

At least sit in a bunch in your budget range. If for some reason I was going to get and IK for running anything III or harder, I'd look at the Aire-Force style (more rocker, a little wider).

·
Registered
389 Posts
There's some good info at http://www.theboatpeople.com/faqs.html .

Aire Lynx is top of the line. Incredibly stable, comfortable seats, durable, easy to maneauver, well laid out, etc. I know they've made lots of improvements over the last 10 years. Great boat, but it's probably overkill for casual, occaisional use.

For casual use by my 130lbs. son, I've actually had good luck with the Sevylor SVX-1. It's not as well built, but it works fine in class III with quite a few rocks. It's not big enough for 200lbs. The main advantage is that it is cheap. I wouldn't use it in class IV.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Eddy Groover said:
I too have been searching for an IK! On another forum I ran across some enthusiasts that just rant and rave about the Stilleto by Star. Does anyone know anything about these boats? It looks like a great single person boat but it is extremely long at 12'6". Check it out-

http://www.starinflatables.com/StarMain.asp?Option=DirList&Dir=3&Cat=88
That boat is NOT the Stiletto boat ANYONE raves about. Star makes cheap shitty boats with inferior material. In addition to that, they renamed their IK the Stiletto to take advantage of the reputation the real Stiletto has earned.

The real Stiletto was designed and built by Jim Sheflo of Watershed in Redmond, WA in the late 90's. It is most similar to a thrillseeker, though in my opinion it is a better boat.

This boat is the best balance of performance and stability you'll find in any boat. the things that make it such a good boat: flat hull for effective edge carving and responsive pivoting, foam floor for rigidity and low center of gravity, rocker suitable for big water and ideal for steep technical creeks.

IMO, there isn't a better designed or built IK available anywhere. If you're looking for one, hit with a PM and I can help with that. They are tough to find!

Whatever you do, think carefully about a tandem, and don't buy a Star!

SYOTR,

--Brian
http://www.wwik.org/

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for letting everyone know about the Star Stiletto Brian, I'm sure it confuses a lot of peolple.
I have a Lynx II and it's a big boat, real long waterline, and fairly wide, It can hold a ton of gear if paddled solo.
I also have a Sotar solo boat that I highly reccomend if your looking for a solo boat, It's not mch shorter than a Lynx II, but the waterlne is much shorter, with lots of rocker. It's not as much of a playboat as the Stiletto due to the inflatable floor that sits lower than the tubes, but the Quality is just as high, and the price is about $500 less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts