Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
If it feels soft it's only a step away from cracking especially on the end. If it's still rigid I'd say buy it. I agree it looks like it got dragged by a car in a poor tie down job. They probably didn't say the magic word "That's not going anywhere" or "Were not going that far". Always say the magic words.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a Zen look at the review it is amazing it is a river runner but it creeks too I have it and love it but for steep creeks I would get a karma as goes play boats I can't beat my jitsu

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hope that helps like I said look at the review nick Troutman did he said it is the best boat he has paddled

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would definitely recommend the Hero. Very forgiving boat and super easy to roll. Makes Class 4 feel like Class 3. The one thing I've found that it doesn't do well is surf waves, it can do it but there are other boats that surf waves better. I've been using one now for a couple of seasons after having bought it used and really enjoy it. It's great for rescuing swimmers and abandoned boats as well. Just make sure the cords used to adjust the backband are in good shape, although they can be replaced if too worn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If it feels soft it's only a step away from cracking especially on the end. If it's still rigid I'd say buy it. I agree it looks like it got dragged by a car in a poor tie down job. They probably didn't say the magic word "That's not going anywhere" or "Were not going that far". Always say the magic words.
Hi Glenn and others
Thanks for the comments.

So most of that shaved off area is still pretty hard. But the little brown spot that you can see is about an inch or a little less wide and it feels pretty soft. Not soft like you could stick your finger through but soft enough that you might be able to stick a screwdriver through it if you worked at it for a minute or so.

Its too bad I really loved the out fitting and the feel of the boat.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Get a Zen look at the review it is amazing it is a river runner but it creeks too I have it and love it but for steep creeks I would get a karma as goes play boats I can't beat my jitsu

Thanks for the suggestions . thought about zen and karma but I have not seen any used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could get away with using that Hero. Where the weakness is typically isnt hit on the river so there shouldnt really be issues and you could always weld extra plastic to it or something. But for peace of mind i would avoid it. IMO its better off spending a little more money on a good condition boat that can last a while rather than having to be on the search for a boat again after 3 runs (though it may never crack...up to you). In my time i have found that the boats that perform the best are the ones that fit you the best, so go for a Jackson if you are comfortable in those. The Hero and Karma are both fairly big boats and will be super forgiving for class 4. The Karma is bigger and has a bit more rail and speed to it so would be my choice for nailing lines. The Hero will offer you a bit more support with last minute turns to make moves. You couldnt really go wrong with either.
As for the other boats, the burn is a good paddlers boat. It will make you a better paddler but you need a lot more skill to paddle it on grade 4. It certainly wouldnt make grade 4 seem the easiest. The Mamba is similar to the Karma but has less volume. So the Karma would sit you up higher in burly water.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Me 5'5" 130lbs I have owned the following 3 boats:
Hero - didn't like at all
Burn - loved this boat but it hurt my (post surgery knee) too much. It is a very edgy boat but I liked this.
Mamba 7.5 - just acquired this boat a few months ago and - love it. Easiest to roll boat I've ever been in.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi all:

I have mediocre skills (advanced beginner?). I can usually do a combat role with the perception overflow, with the EZG it is more difficult and sometimes I have to try two or three times or wet exit.

Chris

Hey Chris,
You sound like you are truly interested in getting better and running more exciting runs. That said the best boat for you to run the river (play down) like you want to may not be the "easiest" to roll. You should focus on bombproofing your roll so all boats are "easy" to roll. Then you can get the boat that fits your style of desired paddling. Poudre park (i.e., Steven's down) is a super fun run at high water (4ft-6ft)...and at every level in a playboat...tons of everything to catch. So really work on getting your game up so you can choose whatever boat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Chris,
You sound like you are truly interested in getting better and running more exciting runs. That said the best boat for you to run the river (play down) like you want to may not be the "easiest" to roll. You should focus on bombproofing your roll so all boats are "easy" to roll. Then you can get the boat that fits your style of desired paddling. Poudre park (i.e., Steven's down) is a super fun run at high water (4ft-6ft)...and at every level in a playboat...tons of everything to catch. So really work on getting your game up so you can choose whatever boat.
Hi Gannon:

Since I started this thread last fall, I worked a lot on my roll over the winter. So now I am pretty comfortable with it. I was able to do a couple of combat rolls in my EZG with any problems on the Bridges (Poudre) the other day. Both the Hero and Burn seemed to roll pretty easy for me in a lake, even if I conscoiusly tried to use bad form. The burn might have been slightly easier, but both wre probablya little easier than my EZG42. So rollability is no longer as much of an issue.

But I still think high water and/or call IV rapids with my stern getting push around will still not feel very comfortable to me in the EZG42.

thanks for your comments,

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
As for the other boats, the burn is a good paddlers boat. It will make you a better paddler but you need a lot more skill to paddle it on grade 4. It certainly wouldnt make grade 4 seem the easiest. The Mamba is similar to the Karma but has less volume. So the Karma would sit you up higher in burly water.
Hi NZ

Thanks for the comments.

What is it about the Burn that makes it a harder boat to paddle in class IV than say the hero, karma or Momba? Less volume? More edgy?

Thanks,

Chris

21 - 34 of 34 Posts