Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've bought a (2009?) Wavesport Habitat 80 with a crack in the cockpit rim just above the thigh brace as in the photo. It is the white stress mark in the indent. I've shown it next to a new habitat picture just to give you an idea of exactly where it is.

Any advice regarding the best way to strengthen this crack to stop future issues would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of maybe drilling each end, and giving a bit of plastic welding a go. Or somehow riveting each side to a bit of aluminium to take the strain, but I'm worried the rivets may cause their own problems.

Where it is it won't actually cause any leaking, but I really don't want it to get bigger, and that area takes quite a lot of stress during rolling etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hopefully not! Although just leaving it was one option.

The internet is a small place...

·
don't bogart that
185 Posts
How To Repair Plastic Kayaks- ActionWatersports.net - YouTube

I have made plastic repairs like this with the heat gun, I think it is better to drill out the ends of the crack and use a small die grinder to v out the crack before placing the melted plastic, and try to heat boat and repair plastic so they melt together.... use good ventilation, High density polyethylene will release PBA when heated, and that is a carcinogen.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Fill it with Aquaseal and call it good. Not as strong as plastic welding, but a hell of a lot quicker and easier.... especially for as minor a crack as that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be worth drilling out the ends then aquasealing? Assuming that won't weaken it more, it could be the best suggestion because the split is so small to work with when plastic welding?

Yeah I know it's small otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. My only concern is the split spreading, when it would be much more of an annoyance to deal with.

Thanks for the input so far though :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Drill it out if it makes you feel better, just make the holes small. I don't know that aquaseal will do anything but fill the void. It's under the skirt so it shouldn't be an issue with leaking. I don't think the stresses from rolling are going to be large enough to have an affect on the crack. If it were my boat I wouldn't be worried about that crack. The only way I can see a boat cracking like that would be from torquing the straps down on a roof rack. Don't over tighten the straps if you put it on your car roof.

·
Registered
21 Posts
G-flex epoxy

Check out G-flex epoxy on youtube. I have used it to repair everything from holes in a canoe made from the same type of plastic as Your kayak, to stress fractures in a rifle stock. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts