Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a trip with some other beginner friends on Sunday, 17 August. A friend and very experienced boater has talked about a run in the House Rock section above BV, putting in at the Elephant Rock campground, below Frog Rock Rapid.

His basic description was House Rock has a single pool drop solid 3 and some read and run 2+/3- stuff.

I'm not able to find out alot about the particulars about where to take out and before I drive over I'd like to get some other opinions or maybe other options.

Thanks in advance.

Scott 719-689-2383

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beginner run

There are a couple options that I can suggest. #1. You could run state bridge: put in just below Rancho Del Rio underneath the bridge and take out at state bridge. Easy but fun class 2, very straight forward. Possibly a couple little play spots too. We ran that a lot this year and I am sure there will be plenty of other people on that section. #2. The Dotsero run: Take the Dotsero exit and drive about 4 miles north and on your right there will be a put in that is kind of hidden behind some trees. That is a very tame run, probably easier than state bridge. Take out is right near the bottom of the exit under the bridge. I would run state bridge before the dotsero run. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ark or Colorado or don't care?

I can recommend some runs for you. It sounds like you might want to run something on the Ark and the Pumphouse and Dotsero runs are both on the Colorado (nowhere near each other).
Depending on how "beginner" you are, you might want to check out Big Bend to Salida, the Milk Run, or the Salida Town Run before you tackle House Rock. If you are going to run House Rock, I would run Frog Rock as well. At low water you just need to stay away from the sieve. Do you have anyone going with you that knows the run? That's always a good idea. Also, that stretch of river gets pretty technical and bony at low water.

Kim

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey Scott. For that run you would most likely take out at the Buena Vista takeout. It's at the town ball fields and there is a big foot bridge at that spot so you know it when you get there. Agree on the run. Take house rock on the right side and if you get flipped, there is time and room to roll. There are some tricky waves just above HR that can mess some people up if they aren't paying attention. Have fun - it will challenge you.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I haven't be on that section at low water in a while, but I think the Class II - III- description is probably pretty accurate. As I recall it's quite continuous, but easy. Not a very long run at all.

Elephant rock is upstream of Buena Vista on the Ark. It's literally labeled "elephant rock" on the 1:24k topo map. Lat/long are: N 38.88465 W 106.15179

Use Acme Mapper for location. ACME Mapper 2.0

Frankly, at these lower flows, you may consider something a bit harder like Browns Canyon. For a beginner, it's a nice time of year to do some swimming (water is warm), and the season is almost over, so you may as well end it on a high note.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Scott. For that run you would most likely take out at the Buena Vista takeout. It's at the town ball fields and there is a big foot bridge at that spot so you know it when you get there. Agree on the run. Take house rock on the right side and if you get flipped, there is time and room to roll. There are some tricky waves just above HR that can mess some people up if they aren't paying attention. Have fun - it will challenge you.
Thanks Geezer. That works out great for a take out. I've been to the put in before but just wasn't sure about where to take out. I wanted to give this run a shot before doing Browns.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't be on that section at low water in a while, but I think the Class II - III- description is probably pretty accurate. As I recall it's quite continuous, but easy. Not a very long run at all.

Elephant rock is upstream of Buena Vista on the Ark. It's literally labeled "elephant rock" on the 1:24k topo map. Lat/long are: N 38.88465 W 106.15179

Use Acme Mapper for location. ACME Mapper 2.0

Frankly, at these lower flows, you may consider something a bit harder like Browns Canyon. For a beginner, it's a nice time of year to do some swimming (water is warm), and the season is almost over, so you may as well end it on a high note.
Thanks for the grids Dan. I kinda planned to do this one before Browns next week.

·
Jefe Driver
83 Posts
I wish I could join you guys but I've got my mandatory "Don't kill your wife after coming home from Iraq" retreat. Alex is free though and wants to paddle this weekend.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I could join you guys but I've got my mandatory "Don't kill your wife after coming home from Iraq" retreat. Alex is free though and wants to paddle this weekend.
I forgot about that. Don't tell em you threw your inner child down a well. LINK ;)

We'll go again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would advise hooking up with Yetigonecrazy since he always does the most casual runs in the state each weekend. I think the Taylor could be a great option just watch out for all that Gnarly wood out there

·
Registered
420 Posts
I might be able to hook up with you guys, just let me know the details.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
House Rock

If you are going to run that section I would suggest using the highway pulloff between the miracle mile and frog rock for your put-in. It gives you about a mile of warm up before frog. Make sure you stay far left at frog rock, there is a sieve on the right side of the rock where a good bit of the flow goes. It is a class II rapid with class V consequences. After that you have little siedel's, a class III where a river right gravel bar forces the current into a sharp hole, you can miss it on either side. There is some read and run II+,III- play spots through the narrows and just above house rock. As others have said, run house on the right. The current will try and push you into a rock wall, cut it tight on the right side of the "house rock" like you are going to catch the eddy behind it, and you should be fine. I would also suggest running through the BV playpark and on down to Johnson Village to make the run a little longer. There is a class III called BV falls at the end of the playpark, run it right. Then the boat chute around the dam drop called Silver Bullet, the chute is on the right (III). The takeout is at the Wilderness Aware boat ramp under the highway 24/285 bridge - river left. I would come with you guys but I am going backpacking to Willow Lake in the Sangre De Cristo's in a attempt to climb Kit Carson Mountain. Have Fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts