Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do folks recommend for hand protection in sub freezing conditions? I have NRS porgies but don't really like being attached to the paddle. What type of gloves are not too thick but provide warmth?

Thanks

E

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I've had good luck with Glacier Gloves.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Here's a trick I've used anywhere from creeking to February Westwater trips:

Go get a pair of heavy-duty latex gloves (like the thick tiling gloves they sell at Home Depot) and tuck them in under your wrist gaskets. For the most part the latex-on-latex seals up nicely. Or you can go with some cheap Nitrile gloves. There are PVC options too. Just make sure they are snug. If they don't tuck into the wrist gasket very well, you can also just duct tape them behind your wrists (over the gasket) to keep water from seeping in.

The thinness of the glove allows you to 'feel' the paddle better, while providing less evaporative cooling on your skin. You can also add a thin liner glove if you're going to be in the water all day for some additional insulation without adding too much bulk. Make sure you have 2-3 extra pair with you just in case you get a tear. If you're using pogies on top for river running, they should last all day. Creeking obviously can result in more tears if you're pushing off rocks, etc. But it's a cheap & effective solution; far less expensive than buying 3 pairs of neoprene kayaking gloves.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
3mm or 3.5mm neoprene gloves seem to be a good thickness to keep your hands warm but still manageable for paddling. Like lmyers I've used the NRS Reactor gloves with good results (bummer to hear they've been replaced by something worse). My hands tend to get colder than most and I can paddle into pretty low temps comfortably with those gloves. They feel bulky on the paddle at the first but you adjust quickly.

NRS seem to be the most functional paddling gloves, but their durability is really questionable in general.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts