Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am flying to Vancouver in the second week in Sept and fly home from Portland two weeks later. I would like to try out white water rafting and some mountain biking while I am over there.

I've only done rafting once before in Middle Fork American River, California the day trip listed in the link.

I have been reading up online and seems Whistler would have everything I would be looking for but I was wondering can anyone recommend any good companies to go with or any other places I should be checking out while I am there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
re Vancouver

Once you get to Whistler, you will get all the info at the infor. center. Sept is a little late for most of the rafting very close to Whistler. You may be able to get out to the Elaho/Squamish with a commercial outfitter or even the Thompson. The Elaho is not very far but the Thompson is. There used to be a guy calling himself Captain Holiday who ran a v good kayaking outfit right in Whistler, I dont know if he still does.
Anyway, theres tons of other stuff to do, mountain biking being the most popular at that time. You can't go wrong there. Its a blast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
417 Posts
No, Whistler would be more fun. By Sept most stuff around Portland is also way down.The Mckenzie and the Metolious may be running but they are both a hike to get to and from Portland in a day. Someone from the PNW could give you a better idea of the conditions there this year.
I would stick with Whistler.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Kumsheen rafting

Drive to Lytton and raft the Thompson with Kumsheen rafting. If you take hwy 1 east it's about 2.5-3 hour drive. I know the people at Kumsheen and they are top notch and their resort is excellent. The Thompson still has a fair amount of water too - currently flowing at about 21,000 Cfs (I was on it in June when it was 80,000 Cfs!!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts