Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18’ Maravia Maestro, custom PRO frame
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2004 I created Whitewatercampsites.com and a few years later RaftingTheWest.com. At 70, I’m now rapidly aging out of the sport. These sites made a fair income back in the day but I’ve not given either site any attention since 2017. They have fallen below Google standards so are no longer getting the same attention in SEO. They need some love. I’d like to hand over, as in GIVE, these domains and code bases and a collection of not yet posted photos to some web-literate individual with a passion for whitewater rivers.

If you’re interested in becoming the owner and caretaker of these websites, free to take them any direction you like, email me at [email protected]… and tell me about your passion, tech, and river experience.

It’s a sad day for me as I post this, but a good day for the river community if I can find the right person to carry on my little projects.

And thanks for all the kind words about my sites on this forum over the years!

SYOTR (at least for one more year)

-Will Hansen

· Registered
4,039 Posts
Will,

Thank you for whitewatercampsites.com. I have used it often over the years to scout camps and to just reminiscence. I hope you can find a person with the proper passion and skills necessary to bring WWC.com back to what you'd like it to be.

For the future caretaker of WWC, I have a vast compilation of digital details for each camp that I offer toward the end goal of making WWC a comprehensive repository of campsite knowledge that it is intended to be.

Good luck Will with your future endeavors.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will,

Thank you for whitewatercampsites.com. I have used it often over the years to scout camps and to just reminiscence. I hope you can find a person with the proper passion and skills necessary to bring WWC.com back to what you'd like it to be.….

Good luck Will with your future endeavors.
Thanks Ron!
I’m not dead yet! I’ve got two river trips this summer, but I’ve lost 2 of my best rafting buddies in the last 2 years. If I don’t hand these sites off then one of these years they are just going to go away.

I don’t do Facebook and my contacts with the river community are getting fossilized. I’m hoping someone sees this thread and, even if they are not personally interested, they forward to someone they know who might be.

If someone reading this is technically inclined and they peek at the source code they’ll see that RTW is a simple Html site, but WWCS is written in Google Polymer. Don’t be afraid… it needs a rewrite to improve monitization. All the campsite info is data in JSON files Indexed by river mile. So Ron’s offer is cool. Matching the sites to their GPS coordinates and other data would open up some directions to take things.

The holy grail would be to allow it all to operate offline so you could look at campsite info while at the put in or on the river. Maybe the future is an app or some sort or a PDF file per river or add-in for a map app like Avenza. I own a company in the ski industry, Cantology, that sucks all my bandwidth and passion. If I didn’t have that, I’d be all over taking these sites forward, but faced with the same problem of handing them off in a couple years due to age. These community resources need a young caretaker.

Thanks to all for your help making this happen!

-Will

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to let you know that I’ve found the person to take over Whitewatercampsites and RaftingTheWest. Once the sites are moved over to his control, we’ll announce the change in ownership and introduce him here. That will bring this thread to conclusion. But for now, know that he writes very well, has the technical skills and passion, and a nice track record of contribution to the whitewater community.

And thanks to the other folks who contacted me! I really appreciate your interest and help.
SYOTR,
-Will

1 - 9 of 9 Posts