Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
V for Victory
329 Posts
I heard that there was a crash, like an alien spaceship crashed into the Ark, and they weren't wearing PFDs... and like... they drowned cuz like they weren't prepared for Earths gravity! Someone should like make a law... or call the Air Force! At least that's what my friend's buddy's dog's previous owner's ex-girlfriend heard at a bar in Salida.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
The debate will continue. Looks like another accident on the Arkansas today. Brown's Canyon.

So, What Debate? Like it Did/Did Not Happen? People Do/Do Not belong on water? The Sheriff Should/Should Not do something? The reporting of a tragedy is just that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A commercial raft flipped in Pinball shortly after 10:00am. A 40 yo m was unconscious and unresponsive. CPR efforts were unsuccessful.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I heard that there was a crash, like an alien spaceship crashed into the Ark, and they weren't wearing PFDs... and like... they drowned cuz like they weren't prepared for Earths gravity! Someone should like make a law... or call the Air Force! At least that's what my friend's buddy's dog's previous owner's ex-girlfriend heard at a bar in Salida.

That is total bullshit.

It was a bar in Poncha Springs. Or near there. Sorta.

·
Registered
610 Posts
While the point is good, I don't think this is the correct place to be having the conversation. The poor guy just died, lets respect that in this thread, if you have to talk about it how about taking it to another thread out of respect?

This is another reminder that even "tame" Browns canyon can bite. Be safe out there you all.

RIP

·
Is there any verification of this story?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't think this is the correct place to be having the conversation. The poor guy just died, lets respect that in this thread, if you have to talk about it how about taking it to another thread out of respect?
I don't agree with this sentiment at all. This is a thread about an accident, it's not a memorial. While it's always appropriate to be respectful of the deceased, anything is fair game for discussion. If you want something to be a memorial, then put 'Memorial' in the title of the thread. This is a boater's forum, we talk about accidents to learn.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Another Rafter Dies On Arkansas River

KKTV.Com Article

Another Rafter Dies On Arkansas River Posted: 5:09 PM Jul 9, 2009
Last Updated: 5:09 PM Jul 9, 2009

A rafter died Thursday morning on the Arkansas River during a commercial white water rafting trip.
The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office says the man was on a commercial boating trip when his raft his a rock in the area of Pinball Rapid in Brown's Canyon, a class 3 rapid. The raft was in the middle of the river when it hit the rock, capsizing and ejecting all passengers into the river.
All of the rafters, including the 49-year-old man from Carrollton, Texas who later died, were rescued and taken ashore. The man went into cardiac arrest within minutes of getting ashore.
Emergency crews tried to resuscitate him but he was pronounced dead at 12:40 p.m. at the remote scene of the accident. His identity has not yet been released.
Two rafters were killed earlier this week on an independent rafting trip on the Arkansas River.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man dies in rafting accident near Nathrop - The Denver Post

Man dies in rafting accident near Nathrop

Claire Trageser
The Denver Post

One man has died after a rafting accident today on Class 3 rapids in the Arkansas River, according to the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office.
The victim, a 49-year-old man from Carrollton, Texas,, was part of a commercial rafting trip.
The Sheriff's Office is withholding the man's name until his family is notified.
At 10:36 a.m., the man's boat hit a rock in the Pinball Rapids in Brown's Canyon near Nathrop, according to the Sheriff's Office. All of the boat's passengers were thrown from the boat.
The victim held on to the capsized raft and was pulled onto a second boat. He was responsive when he was taken out of the water, but his heart stopped on the second boat, said Stew Pappenfort , a senior ranger at the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area.
Resuscitation efforts were started immediately. Colorado State Park Rangers and Emergency Medical Services arrived within an hour, the Sherrif's Office said. The victim was then evacuated by Chaffee County Search and Rescue.
He was pronounced dead by Chaffee County Coroner Randy Amettis at 12:40 p.m.
"He was only in the water a couple of minutes," Pappenfort said. "It could be that the cold water and extertion caused a medical complication, but that's pure speculation at this point."
The river was flowing at 1860 cubic feet per second at the Pinball Rapids, the Sheriff's Office said.
Arkansas Headwaters has no high water advisories for that section of the river, Pappenfort said.
"It's very boatable," he said. "If I could choose any place to go boating, I'd choose Brown's Canyon." At least six people have drowned in the state's rivers in the past 30 days, including two Denver-area residents who drowned on Tuesday after a rafting accident on the Pine Creek rapids in the Arkansas River.

·
Registered
45 Posts
not called for

so your knee-jerk reaction is to post on the internet about it before any details surface? good call bro.
This is the kind of smart ass response that is really not called for. The guy is right. I just read a couple of threads about accidents on the Ark and non-boaters were ranting about "what should be done"...

this IS the place to discuss these events.

and as someone who went there to boat Brown's the same day, I'm interested for obvious reasons.

so if you have nothing nice to say...say nothing

·
Registered
45 Posts
So what's the debate about?
I'd recommend going to places like Denver Post online and read what non-boaters have to say... there were about 5 deaths in a couple of weeks on the Ark, and all the ignoramuses are out there ranting about what should be done... of course, they don't know squat, but they are opining about the issue.

The vultures are circling.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Some of the guides are really senstive about publicizing and discussing river accidents. They may have been involved in accident rescues in the past, they may have friends involved, or possibly these accident reports effect their income. I think it is understandable that some people are sensitive about this.

But, I agree that this is a place to discuss the accidents, figure out what happened, and try to learn from it.

Everyone needs to be a bit thick skinned about internet discussion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts