Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a touring kayak putin at powell other than at one of the marinas?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lone Rock beach is an option. There are also a couple other places that you have access with 4x4 and you might have a steep carry (hole in the rock, etc). Where do you want to go and why don't you want to just use a marina. If you want to avoid the fee, maybe try showing up just before sundown at a marina.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
Where is lone rock.
I’m mainly trying to avoid a lot of boat traffic and get to someplace cool without several miles main channel approach

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm well you can go in Blue Notch Canyon rd, S of Hite (former MArina). We couldn't get toHite Marina after Cataract C. trip last fall with lower lake levels and had to take out at a bulldozed takeout at a point where you first see the "lake" coming down big hill from Moab. Hite may not be used until lake rises a bunch (weeep) (weep), so that end of the "lake"may be pretty quiet. The San Juan Arm is pretty quiet up "lake" from the big bend.
There is access on the Reservation on the San Juan Arm but don't know if that is working at this lake level. When "lake" is higher I have put in at Clay hills and taken out at Halls Crossing in a sea kayak then hitched to the Clay Hills road where a bike was stashed near highway in an arroyo.
That was at 3680' level, A whole new world now at low level!! The Escalante arm has good hiking, and can be reached in a little over a day's paddle from Halls. BTW, groovers are required on Powell now, and they are checked. A dump station was floating at intersection of Escalante arm and Colorado channel.

Cheers,
jay

·
Registered
580 Posts
To avoid boat traffic, this is one of the best times to go sea kayaking on Powell. Back in college I went two spring breaks during this time and had little conflict with other boats. This time of year you mostly have houseboats because it is too cold for the water skiers and jet skiers. My favorite trip is to start at Wahweep Marina and paddle up to Rainbow Bridge, taking time to check out many of the side canyons on the SE side of the lake (West, Secret, etc.)
I think the Escalante would be even better, but there is no great access. Maybe if the Escalante river starts to flow a little, you could paddle with a sea kayak down the river to the lake. I think it is all sandy bottom and no rapids, but I don't know for sure. Have a map on the deck of your boat because you can get lost easily on the open water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts