Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I'd like to get some help finding the best spots to capture some nice kayaker photos on the Upper Gauley. I'll also need help finding the easiest access to these sites, i.e., logging roads, hiking path, old railroad beds, etc. River travel is probably not the best option for me. I'm not at all familiar with the area so the more detailed the better. Thanks!!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Pillow Rock

I know you can hike down to Pillow Rock from the Carnifax Ferry Battleground site. I hiked down there several years ago. Very steep trail. I remember it requiring holding onto trees to not fall all the way down on a rainy day. While we were down there a commercial trip popped a raft and they were beginning the effort to hike it out. Didn't seem possible, but they were determined.

Laurie

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Go to Catherdral Cafe in Fayetteville and buy the official Gauley map. It has all of the access roads and descriptions for hike and drive in points. Pillow Rock and Sweets Falls are very accessible.

You should take a raft trip down though. It's really the best way to see it if you're not a hard boater! If you go with West Virginia Adventures (www.trywva.com) you can have lunch right on Postage Due Rock and take carnage photos at Sweet's!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts