Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for posting another A vs B thread but I'm about to spend a lot of money on a boat and would like to make the most informed decision possible.

After a lot of research on these boats i'm even more unsure of which would best suit me. I will be paddling it in Idaho in places like the North Fork of the Payette as well as places like the Kern River and Brush Creek in Cali. I have an 07 hero right now and a newer Fun and love them yet I have given the Hero to my dad to get him into the sport. I have heard that the hero creeks amazing and the Villan river runs great. I will be using this boat for half creeking and half river running and would love any input in this decision.

PS. I was considering getting a Stomper yet I can get a better deal on Jackson boats so that's why the Stomper isn't in this post.

Thanks, Ehukai

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Clearly the boat u need is a Saturn. It performs well in the gnar and stank runs as you're describing. But, you might void the warranty running it outside of China.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I like Jackson boats, but I'm not so hot on their names. One thing that really should come out of it though, is people should be able to spell the word "Villain" properly. Let's all work on that.

I've paddling both boats (but the older version of the Hero) and if I were buying, I'd get the Villain. I think it's a more versatile boat. The Hero is fun though (but it's not a Fun, which is a different, easy to spell, boat).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use my Villian S for California creeking all the time, including Brush Creek and the Kern. I love it! Although note that I'm not that great a boater so I haven't used it on any of the hard-core California classics. But I think it works just fine on the creeks I've been doing. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ease of spelling is a huge positive of the Hero for sure; yet i'm still not convinced.

BTW thanks for the spelling input it's just what I wanted out of this post lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
I picked up a superhero this year and have been impressed with it so far. I've mainly run bigger water with it and like the roominess and comfort. Super stable and holds lines pretty good for the type of hull it is. Of course I came from a long line of older boats and this is my first newer boat since 2004 so my perception of things may be off.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I took both for a demo and ended up with a villain. Faster and less edge, but still some edge. The drawback is that it doesn't surf that well, so as a result can be a bit harder to keep it on a strong ferry without spinning out or getting blown of the back. Also is a bit more sluggish with eddy turns than a hero is. It is a super confidence inspiring boat though that likes to stay on the top and resurfaces under control. I recently paddled a Shiva and now i want one. It feels faster than the villain and also makes sharper eddy turns, and stronger ferries.
It does have a lot less initial stability though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Different Gear

Go with the Villain it has a differnt gear and truelly a diiferent boat for different jobs. The Hero is a really good boat (I like it alot). It makes kayak easy. The Villain is different in the way it allows you to overnight easier and it how much difference it has in hull speed. The real question would be where do you stop paddling the FUN (my current boat) and start paddling the Hero? And, can you paddle those runs in a Villain?

I'd throw in you should ckeck out the Zen, it's fast. One gear above the Villain and it rocks on my style river running. The choice is up to you. Have fun picking.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I liked the Zen but just don't know if I'd ever buy one... dunno why not because I liked it but there's just something about it...

Could anyone compare a Villain to a Remix...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I paddle both a Villain and Zen. I would say the Remix has more in common with the Zen than the Villain.

The Zen rips up river features like a mini-slalom boat. It handles ferrying / eddies / s-turns / surfing as well as any whitewater boat. It's also in the faster class of boats, and has been successful on many of the whitewater races this season. For me, I love this boat on everything up to class 5-, but above that, I almost wish it had a few more gallons to float me like the Villain.

The Villain has been an awesome boat for me for three seasons. It is awesome on both creeks and big water. Like all Jackson boats, it rolls easy. It boofs well, it's not slow, and it's stable. I feel good in this boat sideways or without paddling. It's big, and it is perfect for overnighters. It's treated me well on the North Fork of the Payette, including at 2010's record flows. As much as I love it, I'm putting it up for sale. I will actually replace it with another Villain as I'm lucky enough to get team price on my boats.

It's in the Boise area, it's yellow, and I'm asking $625 obo. Fair / good condition.

-Micah [email protected]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Go with the Villain. You won't be sorry. It is a great boat. Especially for the caliber of rivers you're planning to be boating. If you fit a Villain S I have a very lightly used Elite for $700 on the buzz swap. Excellent boat.

Cheers!

Ken

Sorry for posting another A vs B thread but I'm about to spend a lot of money on a boat and would like to make the most informed decision possible.

After a lot of research on these boats i'm even more unsure of which would best suit me. I will be paddling it in Idaho in places like the North Fork of the Payette as well as places like the Kern River and Brush Creek in Cali. I have an 07 hero right now and a newer Fun and love them yet I have given the Hero to my dad to get him into the sport. I have heard that the hero creeks amazing and the Villan river runs great. I will be using this boat for half creeking and half river running and would love any input in this decision.

PS. I was considering getting a Stomper yet I can get a better deal on Jackson boats so that's why the Stomper isn't in this post.

Thanks, Ehukai

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow, a pro boater is selling a beat up Villain for $625, sign me up! Personally, I prefer the Chinese Villian, just don't spend too much time in it, the plastic contains radioactive isotopes.

·
Registered
461 Posts
According to Eric Jackson himself at FIBark; the difference between thos boats is speed. Hero is slow and ment for quick turns adjustments. Villan is longer therefore faster stays on track a little better. His words not mine take it for what you want.

·
Registered
250 Posts
While I'd hardly describe myself as such, even "pro" boaters pay for boats. Often the asking price on a used boat might be a few more dollars than you would accept. So for you Pizzle, I'll sell you a Villain in fair / good condition for $600.

Eric Jackson's description of the boats is accurate.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Villian S, is my vote given your choices and the fact that you have a fun. I think that that combination will keep you happier on the majority of water. I think that a hero and fun cover alot of the same stuff. There is alot of overlap if that makes any since. Paddling a hero down river can be a bit of a chore. Being slow and easily pushed around. The villian is more effecent making river/creek run more enjoyable for the average guy. I bet it takes 10 strokes in a hero to get 8 strokes of villian. That adds up over 10 miles.

Lots of villians for sale all over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input guys I've decided to get a "Villain S". The whole Fun and hero overlapping argument sold me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts