Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jed and Katie selby, both long time members of the whitewater kayaking community and team wavesport, are doing a built green traditional neighborhood development (TND) on the banks of the arkansas river in the town of Buena Vista, CO. Built green is a certification from the Colorado Government that a house gets when it's extremely energy efficient. Along with the town Of Buena Vista, they've applied for Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) grant to build one of the longest play parks in the world. All lots will be within a two to five minute walk from the public river park. The focal point of the development will be the central square right next to the main play spot. This spot, complete with a foot bridge above and a restaurant right next to it, will be custom made to host kayaking events.

In typical developments of today, all uses including office parks, schools, shopping, Recreation, and civic buildings, are physically separate and connected by arterial roads. This system makes almost everyone completely dependent on cars. Basically, TND is the practice of Building towns the way they used to be built, around the needs of pedestrians instead of cars. This is done in part by creating mixed use (buildings with apartments above and store fronts below) buildings, and enough density so that there are enough people within walking distance to support these stores. The next challenge is to make an interesting public ream. This includes wide sidewalks, trees, narrow streets to slow down traffic, and houses with porches built right up next to the sidewalk. This may sound easy, but this is all illegal according to current zoning laws. To do a project like this, the town must give you the freedom to completely re-write the local zoning codes.

Jed and Katie's website, www.southmainriverpark.com shows the whole layout and is very informative. If walking from your house to an awesome play spot interests you, check it out.

Feel free to call or email me for more details.

[email protected]

Andre Spino-smith

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Dre - is BV a town for kayakers by kayakers or it BV a town for poker players by poker players? Just kiddin - word around the campfire this AM is that you won last night - and marco got 2nd :D - what's up for tonight are you up to defend that title?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poker

Yo rednek,

poker is fun when you win. I think I'm addicted.

Jed and I are going to see Miah for turkey day. We'll play some more when we get back.

Andre

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Dre,

What you say about a game tonight thurs. - about 8 - under the stairs. We can gang up on jed - he has had a good run but I feel that it is comming to a end. Marco should be back from Vegas today and we should get him in as well. Give me a call or stop by and we will come up with a plan to put jed out early - what up jed you up to defend that belt? :D

V

·
Registered
494 Posts
You guys need to gang up on Jed AND Dre. They both rolled over here to GWS for turkey and left with our money. What graditude, we feed them and then they take our money. You also need to get the video Jed has been watching that way you can snake his little gambling tricks before he takes more of your cashish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey,

Jed's ego is getting out of control! He just told me that he won 90 bucks in Durango and he thinks he's unbeatable. He's going to get sloppy soon. And we'll be there to take his money.

Dre

·
Registered
494 Posts
Chad,
I was wondering who chad was and looked at some of your other posts. now I know. There is only one Chad I know that is 6'2 and weighs 155lbs. What up? Are you still living with that lovely lady Steph?

Let us know if you head this way to ride or play.

As for Ego boy. Don't worry he'll get his, either at the poker table or Vegas style in the back alley late at night. :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know that South Main project was just awarded the GOCO grant for the whitewater park! This means that they'll have plenty of funds to build an awesome venue.

Andre

·
Registered
342 Posts
Frankly, I think the whole development idea sucks. We should keep the land near the river as pristine as possible. It's already a clusterfuck down there anyway, but at least you don't have to look at some goddamn development every hundred yards yet.
There's my two cents.

·
Registered
774 Posts
What difference is it going to make to a person passing through, you would see the development for a hundred yards then be back to the way the river is now. All of the land down there is owned and Jed and Katie were lucky enough to get the property they did. If they don't develope it then there is still just an old dump on the side of the river, litterally. The property they got is the old BV dump. I think it is a great thing what they are doing for both BV and the boating community. When you grow up in a town like BV you know how little there is to do there, and I think this project could stimulate some major growth, and maybe the kids there wont have to go at least to Salida to do anything other than drink.
Just thought i would throw my 2 cents out there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
One nice thing about this development is that it concentrates people in an urban social setting. Instead of a house every few hundred yards, the town-houses are together. This is a very environmentally friendly way to develop in the mountains.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think that the fact of "growth" is far more out of our hands then anything. Its really just a matter of time, people will expand into other areas that were once fields, or dumps, or w/e. I think that the way they are proposing to build it will possibly limit growth. If I remember right, I think that they were trying to make it so everything is in walkable distance.....Does this make it hard for growth? Maybe i read it wrong>

Ben

·
Registered
774 Posts
The development would be concentrated which is different than the development that has been going on in the BV area for the last 10 years. Every thing that had been happening has been expanding north and west towards the mountains. Instead of 5 to 40 acres for each lot the houses would all be together and every thing would be in walking distance. It would be about the same distance to walk to any of the schools in town and it is right at the end of main street so everything on main street would be easily in walking distance. Everything else in town is in walking distance too if you live in town. I think it is a great thing what they are doing. As far as the river would be concerned there isn't going to be more developments like this in the near future because the land by the river is owned and people already have their homes and not every one is going to develop their land. Going through that stretch now the houses are far enough on the hill that they are not taking anything away from the scenery anyways so I don't see the problem with having the development by the river. I have seen the plans for the development and the houses will be more aesthetic than most the homes on the river now.
Ben for people coming in it will be very easy for growth and for the land usage if will limit growth.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea, I agree that growth sucks, but as long as people continue to have lots of babies, it's reality. You think this is bad, visit the Northeast or California. And if you think that's bad, visit Tokyo, Calcutta, or Bejing.

Idaho is looking sweet......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts