Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Pretty cool I guess, but you will never see me trying to beat it. I got the chance to go through when I was 16. My parents only let me go through half the trip (8 days) because I was still in school. I feel cheated and hope I get the chance to do it again. I will make the trip last as long as possible.

·
Registered
426 Posts
3 hours and 30 miles to go to beat the record. It'll be a big final push to get there on time. An impressive effort no doubt, especially this time of year!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Speed run

The word from Ben's dad is they broke one of the boats at Crystal and had to stop for repairs. That lost them some time and put them behind 12 miles from where they wanted to be.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If I am doing the math right it looks like they won't make it for the record? Is that correct? The last point showed them doing about 7 mph on the flat water and they have another 7-ish miles ahead of them at that time. Even if they don't make the record they made quite the impressive push for this time of year, flows and running into kayak damage.

Phillip

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not recored breaking but amazing nonetheless!

There lasts pin was at about river mile 267. About ten miles to the grand wash cliffs at river mile 277.1. Total trip time just under 36 hours. They are on track to hit grand wash cliffs at about hour 38 of their trip! Which is not recored breaking but astonishing giving the respectively low flows from the record breaking dory trip.

·
Registered
570 Posts
They are within 5 miles of the finnish approaching Columbine Falls river mile 275. Grand wash cliffs are are 277.1 The team is track to finnish in 37.5 hours.

Incredible given the dory recored was set with about ten times as much water in the river as compared to this trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They didn't break the record set by the Emerald Mile in 83, but this was one hell of an effort. It also proves that the record of 36 hrs. 38 mins. 29 secs. will fall at some point. Although that record will only be broken by guys in Kayaks, it will take something extraordinary to break the 83 record in a row boat.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Total trip time 37 hours 32 min 45 sec!

With a total trip time 37 hours 32 min 45 sec, the river has been paddled.

This is a new recored for kayak self support! Rock on boys!

More than anything, I think their trip reestablishes what is possible in endurance style whitewater kayaking.

I hope to see a sub 30 hour trip some day. Might need higher flows to make that possible though.

Perhaps we will see some big name athletes take a shot at it. But if history is an indicatory of anything that is doubtful.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
A small note of clarification on speed records in the Grand Canyon

The Emerald Mile's speed record of 36 hrs, 38 mins, and 29 secs was set by Kenton Grua, Rudi Petschek, and Steve Reynolds in June of 1983. Ten years later, in the summer of 1993, a trio of boatmen from Moab, Utah (John Weisheit, John Williams, and Clyde Deal) took a rigid inflatable sport boat equipped with a 50hp motor from Lees Ferry to the Grand Wash Cliffs in a little over 35.5 hrs. So the Moab boys currently hold the motorized speed record for the canyon. But the human-powered record, as of this morning, still rests with the crew of the Emerald Mile.

Hats off to Ben Orkin and Harrison Rea for a remarkable effort. It seems as if it's only a matter of time before another group of intrepid kayakers steps up and shatters not only the Emerald Mile's human-powered record, but also the motorized record.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hell yeah boys! Good show!

But really, who gives a hoot about the motorized record anyway. Motors are cheating down there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Speed Record Categories

Hats off to Ben Orkin and Harrison Rea for a remarkable effort. It seems as if it's only a matter of time before another group of intrepid kayakers steps up and shatters not only the Emerald Mile's human-powered record, but also the motorized record.
It seems to me the 'speed records' should be categorized. I would have a hard time putting kayakers in the top spot, when the record is held by a dory. I understand the 'human-powered' argument, but I would like to see the records hold as like-for-like. You could have something like this:

Fastest Trip Through Grand Canyon (regardless of how it was accomplished)
Fastest Human-Powered Trip
Fastest Motor-Powered Trip
Fastest Human-Powered Trip in a Hard-Hulled Boat (Or Raft)
Fastest Kayak Trip

I still advocate for taking ones' time, but there will always be someone who wants to go for speed. Congrats to these 2 guys on a very impressive trip. Seems like they hold the record for fastest self-support kayak trip.

-Josh

·
Registered
570 Posts
The dory human powered recored of 36 hours was set at about a mean flow of 70,000cfs (1983 floods).

The boys missed the time by 2 hours at a mean flow of 10,300 cfs.

That is Amazing.

The only other person to come close to that is Fletcher Anderson who according to Leif Anderson did a solo kayak self support trip to diamond creek river mile 225 in 49 hours in the early 1990s. His trip was also in the 7,000-10,000cfs flow range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts