Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's not only insane, but incredibly annoying... (although the big air had me glued to the monitor.) Do they close the river for events or even practice? Can you imagine some rafter getting decapitated by a jet boat? I sense some legislation to limit these menaces...

Still, I watched both in their entirety. :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
just pulled my jetboat out of the garage last week, just starting to modify it for the 2010 jetboat freestyle championships...... working on my double airscrew combo.

almost got it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You know, before I started kayaking I never would have seen an issue with this. In the 1st or 2nd video it showed an upside down boat...who is responsible and how do they clean up possible fuel spills??
I guess if they run bridges or FP on the Poudre and dump I can't see too much of a problem since it alot less than the road truck dump. :(

The 3rd video was the best although the guy yelling the gorge was as wide as the boat then looking back to see it was 3 times as wide as the 2nd boat. It kind of seems like these are boat racers crossing over into whitewater....not that there was a claer shot but the PFDs did not look like they were WW rated?

Also kind of looks like the rock crawlers...which does look cool but it seems like alot of money for something as such....my .02.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How would you like to be rowing through one of those rapids when these douchebags come screaming around the corner? These kindsa things are precisely why I keep the P-14 in the pelican case.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Why is it that because these guys don't recreate the same way "you" do, they automatically become douchbags? Live and let live. I see the pollution problem, but come on. That third video defiantly had balls and skill. Credit where credit is due.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I'm no motorhead, but can appreciate skill when I see it. check this out, it was on the SF Payette. It generated LOTs of discussion on the Idaho whitewater group, as I'm sure you can imagine after you see it.
DAMN! The was the canyon run correct,Big and Little Falls at higher water? That was nutty as hell!

Here's a pic from the Main over the summer. This is Hanz or Heinz?? The guy who took over Buckskin Bills place down in the canyon with his wife.

He's got a very cool story. He and the wife were riding horses from Mexico to Canada through the Rockies but they wouldn't allow the horses into Canada. They turned back and ended up having to spend the winter down in the Canyon on the Salmon River in a teepee. They ended up stayin for a few years then more permanently when they took over buckskin's. He said he'd been living down there for 20some years.

He pulled in to chat with us after seeing a creature craft someone in our party had. Stayed for a while and enjoyed some cold ones and told us all about the boats and life down there. Very cool.

Seems like folks up there can appreciate all type's of crafts. I can appreciate the history they have on the Main, didn't really mind sharing the river with them. It was cool to watch at higher water. Dont know if i'd want the same experience on the Grand. Hearing those motors roar around a bend almost made me shit myself everytime.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why is it that because these guys don't recreate the same way "you" do, they automatically become douchbags? Live and let live. I see the pollution problem, but come on. That third video defiantly had balls and skill. Credit where credit is due.
I tend to assume most folks are douchebags until proven otherwise. Besides that, I can easily see how a couple of Jet boats could easily ruin a nice, peaceful day on the river. Just imagine if they allowed these things on the 'Rado.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I tend to assume most folks are douchebags until proven otherwise. Besides that, I can easily see how a couple of Jet boats could easily ruin a nice, peaceful day on the river. Just imagine if they allowed these things on the 'Rado.
You are pretty intolerant of others. And willing to shoot them also! Its too bad hearing them for a few minutes would ruin your whole day. When I saw jet boats on the main Salmon I thought they were pretty cool. It was not like a steady stream of boaters, like rafts on Brown's canyon. There are only a handful of rivers where they are allowed and thats still too many for some self righteous paddlers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Intolerant, yes. Willing to shoot, not so much. Ready to if needed, absolutely. I've got a bit more experience with these nimrods on the rivers in AK, and my dislike for them has nothing to do with the temporary noise. It's got everything to do with their total lack of courtesy on the river. The nimrods I've had the pleasure to cross paths with seem to enjoy watching their wake break over rafts and canoes. Some even use the other boats as their own personal slalom course. Besides that, just about every one I've met seems to lack any respect for nature. They're banned from most rivers in the lower 48 for good reason.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Intolerant, yes. Willing to shoot, not so much. Ready to if needed, absolutely. I've got a bit more experience with these nimrods on the rivers in AK, and my dislike for them has nothing to do with the temporary noise. It's got everything to do with their total lack of courtesy on the river. The nimrods I've had the pleasure to cross paths with seem to enjoy watching their wake break over rafts and canoes. Some even use the other boats as their own personal slalom course. Besides that, just about every one I've met seems to lack any respect for nature. They're banned from most rivers in the lower 48 for good reason.
I see a lot of stereotyping here. Why not judge each guy in a boat for his own merit. If he's an ass so be it. you were right, but why not look for the best in people. You may not like them but if they are not breaking any laws, and if they are not rude, then deal with it. And not with your Para ordnance. I have a p14 also and I would not ever think of pulling it because of a rude boater. And no motor threat justifies firearm usage. Avoid it.

What I saw in the last video was a roadside run with no kayakers or boaters inconvenienced or threatened. I've run that stretch at 11,000 cfs one time onlyand we had it to ourselves, just like the jet boaters. Live and let live I say

Awesome Willie though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sooo, you see jetboats and the first thing that comes to your mind is good thing I got my trusty p14 firearm at my side?

That's some pansy shit. I cant stand people who look for any excuse they can to flash their piece. Man up.

And if a jetboat is using other boats as a "slalom course"...ya think maybe they're actually just avoiding them and maybe the wave is just an unintended result of their motors? Now like ZG says, a train of rafts on Browns or something like that-that might ruin my day.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
DAMN! The was the canyon run correct,Big and Little Falls at higher water? That was nutty as hell!
The canyon section? I thought I had heard it was staircase. It didn't look like the photos I've seen of Big Falls , but I've not been down either, they were "off" when we went down for the catboating rendezvous this past labor day. So I really don't know.

On the Main Salmon this past summer, we had no problems with jetboats, except one douchebag who tried to follow too close behind us through a wave train, he had to turn back. All the rest were very cool, and we actually had fun screaming "jetboat" every time one came. I kind of missed screaming that after we got off the river.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I just got off a Grand trip and am amused that the motor rigs all slowed way down when passing us. We all spent $5k plus on boats specially designed for whitewater and they were worried about
their wakes. Understand that a large motor wake can play hell with tied up boats, but in the middle of the "flats", I am praying for whitewater!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts