Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a need for a motor for the first day or two. Kind of defeats the purpose of a raft trip. But, a suggestion was made. Anyone ever use/take a motor?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts
I've only run Deso at high water but have done it both ways and it's kind of nice to be camping above the rapids the first night. Some folks like having a motor for the first 20 miles of flatwater, especially if the water's at base-flow and they are rowing into strong headwinds, or to make better time if there's a tight schedule. Others ardently object to motors on ethical grounds. Some are ambivalent.

Personally, if it were my trip and someone had a quiet 4-stroke they could bring along with little extra effort I'd be glad to have it along even if it stayed in its box for the entire trip. This is not only for the first part of the trip or to deal with stiff headwinds, but also in the event of an emergency evac. I usually tripcost $20 if someone brings a motor for fuel and maintenance.

Others will chime in, it's up to the group's personal preference.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The next time I do Deso, I will bring a motor. The front section was full of murderous mosquitos. I would rather cruise through the front end, put the motor away and float the rest. I do agree that having a motor is of great benefit during headwinds. On my third day of Deso, I floated about 50 yards! The winds were ripping and floating us upriver! A motor would have been nice during this day. I also agree that having a motor is a great safety net in case some drunkard trips on his own foot and cracks his skull open. I vote for motor, if you have access to one.

tda
slc

·
Registered
323 Posts
All of this is complicated by Utah and BLM regs. I think your boat has to be registered as a motor craft in your home state to run it with a motor on D-G. I could be wrong, but I think I saw that in their regs statement last time I looked. If that is true, and if you are from Colorado, it can take a couple of months for Dept of Nat Res to process your boat registration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used a small electric trolling motor and crushed mileage the first day. Put it away after that. It was great to have, quiet, and does not need to be registered.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Boats using electric motors have to be registered in Colorado too. Although the Deso ranger might not know that.

To the question though, on a low water trip if you have it I would bring it just in case for upstream winds. If you hit a bad cycle of windy days can make for a tough trip fighting downstream.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Boat registration in Colorado can be issued same day with a temporary registration good for 60 days. Temp registration does not require numbers to be displayed. Show up with bill of sale and Hull Identification Number.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It'd be the same, it's based on boat length not type. State parks website will have all the info, same place you registered your sailboat.

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
You don't need a motor for Deso. Bring a second set of oar towers, two spares, and double row if the wind gets bad. There's plenty of current because it's a river, not a reservoir, which is what motors are for.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Boat registration in Colorado can be issued same day with a temporary registration good for 60 days. Temp registration does not require numbers to be displayed. Show up with bill of sale and Hull Identification Number.
I registered one this year and this post is spot on. $30.00 sounds about right.

If your young or haven't floated the canyon yet. Leave the motor behind. If your old or have floated this section......bring it......you'll be much happier after day one. :D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I registered one this year and this post is spot on. $30.00 sounds about right.

If your young or haven't floated the canyon yet. Leave the motor behind. If your old or have floated this section......bring it......you'll be much happier after day one. :D
I'm old and paddled it last month. Can't wait for my next trip, without a motor... :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm old and rowed it all last month, I'm now with caverdan. Next time a small electric for at least some of the first 16 miles.

No bears. No signs of bears. No berries. There was a bunch of kids with Outward Bound at Sand Wash, one might have been named Barry. The rangerette was nice, bright, and I suspect knows motor/boater laws.

Oh, and I screwed up on the shuttle, and Melanie and River Runners Transport ignored my mistake, and did it all right anyway. Awesome, fantastic service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts