Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Plastic bonder/welder specific epoxy. I’m amazed at what that stuff can permanently repair.

That is a real bummer. I’m sure you’ll get it fixed, and everything will run, operate, and sound just fine, and just as well as ever, and so on and so on. But the fresh clean look is gone forever. Sorry.

The classy look of a scratched all-to-heck motor cowl with the tell tell yellow-ish / cream-ish colored epoxy lines. Better start making up a good story now. Good Luck.

BTW, I have had pretty good luck keeping squeeze out epoxy off the rest of the project by wiping a thin coat of Vaseline right next to the repair crack before I put the epoxy on. Then when I wipe off the squeeze out, it doesn’t stick.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had good success using a super cheap soldering iron style plastic welder: 80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit

I used one to fix a busted cowling on a John Deere tractor. Worked great, looks pretty decent (for a tractor), and seems way stronger than any glue I've tried for plastic. I melted stainless wire mesh (in the kit) and fiberglass tape into the parts that were subject to extra stress. I also had some scraps from a shattered JD hood available that I cut up for 'welding rod'. But, if the plastic on your cowling is anything common, you'll be able to source some more if need be.

There are also air plastic welders that are more expensive and likely work better, but I've only used the one I bought for tarp fabric and to do some repairs on my Sotar. I haven't tried it yet on hard plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts