Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

In the last day I have received many phone calls about setting up a memorial fund and a river float of some kind in honor of Derk.

We want to be respectful of Derk's family and will not move forward with any events or designs until we have heard the family’s wishes.

For now:

- We now have a donation box at Confluence Kayaks and we should have one at Golden River Sports this afternoon sometime.

- We hope to raise enough money to make a permanent memorial of some kind at the Golden Play Park. I also read that someone would like to do a plaque of some kind on the Big South as well.

- We are also thinking of doing a candle light float/head lamp float down the play park sometime next week in honor of Derk. We all know Derk spent as much time as he could on Clear Creek and many of us met him for the first time in the play park.

Please let me know any ideas you have at this time. We will be contacting the City of Golden soon to see what we need to do.

We were thinking maybe a small brass sculpture paddling in a river with a plaque below it talking a little bit about Derk. Or maybe a bench, I am not sure. We just want something that demonstrates Derk’s passion and love for the sport of kayaking and the positive impact he has had on the paddling community.

If you would like to help with this please e-mail me with ideas. Cash donations will be accepted at one of the two paddling shops (Confluence kayaks, Golden River Sports).

[email protected]

Thanks,
Christine Clark

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Nice work. A bench would be sweet, but if we can pull of a statue, I think that would be cooler. How 'bout a bronze COUNT pulling a sweet boof?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the statue/ plaque combo idea, as well. On the waterline (unobstructive, of course ;) ) or shoreline nearby-- seems more fitting to Derk, his lifestyle, his passion: keep his memory eternally near the river he loved...

Perhaps even somewhere along the brick walkway near downtown Golden for higher visibility?

We are definitely in where donations are concerned. Christine, do you have any idea if a find has been set up, or who to make checks out to for those of us considering more than a few $ donations??

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am sure Derk loved each stretch of the Playpark, but was there one inparticular he talked about more, counld be found at more ... maybe that is where the plaque, statue, bench could go, closest to his favorite spot.

Love the idea of the headlamp paddle in the park.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Memorial Service

I just spoke to Derk's family:

There will be a memorial and Reception open to everyone. It will be at the Keystone Conference Center at 5 pm this Friday. I know that we'd loved see everyone who knew and loved Derk there to celebrate and commerate Derk's life and legacy.

thanks,
Christine Clark

·
Registered
27 Posts
These are great ideas. I didn't know Derk very well (although I did know how much he loved kayaking and loved Clear Creek) so I am not going to pretend I know what a good memorial would be. But I just want to throw out some ideas that are floating through my head, in case somebody finds them helpful. I think Golden is about to extend the bike path on the south side of Clear Creek up through the play park. This might be a great place for a memorial. And possibly we could convince them to name the whole new path in his honor. Another possibility would be to dedicate the new pedestrian bridge to Derk and put a large plaque on the upriver side so that every time we boat down from up above we could remember how much he loved the river. Another idea would be to work together on a project in his name, like possibly getting the diversion dam above tunnel one on clear creek removed and the drop cleaned out so that people could boat the lower safely right into Golden. I have no idea how feasible this would be, but the drop could be really fun, potentially with a play feature, and I can think of no better memorial than a rapid named in Derk's honor.

Andy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Memorial

As some of you may know Derk had been working on clearing the section of the Snake (?) by his home in Summit for five years, hoping he would one day catch the flows just right to make the first decent. I went with him this fall to check out the wood situation and while it was mostly clean it needed more work. What if we were to clean it up sometime and someone he really cared about (Would you be willing Christine? I'm not that great of a boater yet) make the decent in his honor and memory if they can ever catch the flows.

Just a thought. It hit me when I thought of his secret desire to boat from the continental divide to the sea. He had the whole thing almost completely planned out and had hoped to maybe talk some production company into helping him make something out of footage from the somewhat illegal trip. I'm not asking anyone to do that, but maybe at least get that first section clean and run.

I like the ideas for plaques and such, on the pedestrian bridge would be nice but we'll have to see what the city thinks.

On a different note, I thought I would share a comment from my family here in San Antonio. "I never realized you were dating such a famous guy...Then again, who could stay away from such a friendly, passionate kid."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alright Everyone, Christine has spoken with Derk's parent's and they have set up an account for first descent, however christine and I have set up an account at Wells Fargo, called the Derk Slottow memorial fund. We are raising money to purchase some kind of plaque, statue, etc and have it placed along Clear Creek's WW park. You can drop off check's at Confluence Kayak's or Golden River sports. You can even go into a Wells Fargo and write a check out, you will have to stand in line to deposite it. Make all checks out to the Derk Slottow Memorial Fund. Christine and I are going to give all the left over money to Derk's family to give to First Descent. I am working with Christine and a few others on the actual memorial service for Golden, keep your ideas coming. One thing is for sure we will have it in Golden. Like Christine said we will have a set date in a few days. Thanks to everyone
Joe
P.S. you can contact me if you would like to help with some plans via my e-mail [email protected]
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Where exactly is the keystone conference center?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
directions and pictures, excellent....thank you very much

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the idea of a statue or plaque. I am not sure how many kayaker's know that Derk was a literary type. Beyond his love for language he was a poet and had written what seems like countless poems. I think it would be very fitting to include some of his words on the memorial. I talked briefly to Derk's poetry professor today who was helping him compile and edit his poems for publication. She would be a great reference for sifting through his poems for the right set of words. Mary, you might have more insight for some of his poems as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, Mary. I helped clear that part of the snake with Derk two years ago and thought I was going to get to see Derk run it last spring....It was a no go, but we got some sweet climbing in instead.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would like to meet you Mary. You are famous now. A plaque will be placed at waters edge this week in memory of Derk. E-

P.S. Let me know if you have any requests.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Joe/Christine, The club is more than willing to donate to the memorial fund. I am trying to get out there on thursday to be there in person. The CSM Kayak club would also like to help organize a float/cookout to celebrate Derk's life. We were thinking of just something nearby that everyone can run, and have a good time remembering all of the great stories Derk has brought us. If I can help you guys get that going, please let me know. Manthei, I love the idea of compiling some of his poetry. James (a member of the club) had also suggested that Derk's tattered and tabbed bible be a part of the memorial, since that bible is as famous as his legacy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for all the great ideas guys!! I like the idea of the poems, I remeber him writting them constantly. I would like to meet up with all of you guys from the CSM club and dmathei. Christine and I live in golden so we are going to meet up this week, what would be a good day and time other than thursday that you guys could meet up? Christine and I are thinking of just doing a candle light run from the put in of the Ice Breaker to the bleacher hole, it's short and easy. I will be reseving a pavillan and lion's park, and having some kind of food as well. We are not setting a date quite yet but hope to have final plans set by thursday. It's looking like Christine and I will be at first decsent on Wednessday to speak about our plans and Derk. Feel free to call me 720 234 2002
Joe

·
Registered
274 Posts
(a member of the club) had also suggested that Derk's tattered and tabbed bible be a part of the memorial, since that bible is as famous as his legacy.
Guys,
I'd like to go on record, not as one of Derk's best or closest friends, but as someone who knew him, respected him, thought he was great & such a giving, welcome breath of fresh air, as saying I don't believe this is an appropriate fate for Derk's Bible.

That Bible, for Derk, is as identifying or personal as any fallen servicemember's dog tags, and as such, should be returned/ bequeathed to those who loved him most-- his family. We can argue all day he was almost as beloved by the whitewater community as he was by his own flesh and blood, but in a serendipitous turn of circumstances, those two entities happen to be one in the same. I'm not sure how many folks realize this, but Derk was the progeny and legacy of old school lifelong whitewater paddlin' parents.... riverfolks through and through, in his blood as much as by habit and passion.

That Bible belongs to them.
It's the flag from atop his coffin.

I think it's an absolutely charmed idea to incorporate a likeness of Derk's signature WotSR into a memorial, though. I even *adore* the notion of, however a physical memorial is embodied, having a bronze replica of that book tucked somewhere along the way: if a stone bench is placed, placing the bronze Bible, affixed slightly askew at the end of the seat, as if Derk might return to it any moment, for reference or to jot down a quick note. Atop the railing for the pedestrian bridge, at the very end... Along the footpath, maybe on a small pedestal with a plaque honoring Derk's memory.

But the book itself, the original visible, legendary, dog-eared, tattered, and irreplaceable copy? That's priceless uninsurable sentimental heirloom stuff there, folks. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts