Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be moving to a house on a river in Virginia soon and I figured that kayaking might be something I'd like to do. I've got a few beginner questions. Basically all I want is to paddle around on the river and just enjoy the peace and calm. No tricks, white water, or any of that stuff. I already get my thrills by driving race cars.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what sort of boat I should look into that will be nice to just cruise around in. I'm also wondering if this is difficult to do. I've been reading alot and see people talking about "rolls" and whatnot. i am not sure if this is specific to more advanced whitewater-type kayaking or if it applies to all sorts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get a recreational kayak. They are fun on lakes and slow rivers, very stable, ranging from 25" to 30" wide. Wider="less tippy", long="faster". Easy to fish, paddle, take the family out in. Find them at Galyan's, Gart's, and Sam's. Price $300-$1000. You can learn to roll them...but if you flip, you'll probably just fall out. The cockpits are huge. Some find Sit-On-Tops (SOT) enjoyable, but in Colorado lakes/rivers, they are just too cold. Maybe OK in Virgina.

Example, my brother will not whitewater, but yakfishes Class II rivers in a Swifty ($300), and lake tours in a Carolina 16' ($950). They can carry alot of gear and suitcases of beer. But, I warn you...they are like Mopeds, fun to ride, but don't park it next to a Harley.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What do fat girls and mopeds have in common?

Their both fun to ride until your friends see you on one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm kind of leaning towards a touring kayak right now. And I understand what you guys are saying. It's much like, "don't park your civic next to my 11-second daily driven Mustang" and, "don't park your 11-second daily driven Mustang next to my 7-second race Mustang." :p

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
El gordo is right. Why hassle with all the extra stuff and expense of kayaking if you can get your yaya's in a sit on top.

·
Renaissance *******
1,288 Posts
it depends not only on what you want to do but also on the nature of the river
a sea kayak wont do you much good on a low volume stream
but would be my boat of choice for large rivers and lakes
see if there are demos available at the local paddle shops
and try as many as you can before you buy
can I borrow the mustang this weekend

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at day-touring type kayaks right now. The ones that have caught my eye so far are the Perception Carolina 14.5 and the Castine by Old Town Canoes & Kayaks. I'm locating dealers right now to see if I can check these or similar ones out in person.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally, a post I know something about......

Wilderness Systems, Epic and Perception are the three touring "style" mfgs I have used/own. I come from touring on rivers and sea kayaking in FL. I wouldn't touch a cheappie mfg if you are going to get serious about it. I own two Old Towns for when we take our boat to a lake and just want to paddle around for a while. They are cheap and heavy, so like I said, I would stay away from the cheap ones unless you just plan on an occasional trip..... Try renting if you can find a shop near your new house.

This is just my .02, keep reading as much as you can.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Touring Kayak

I think you are on the correct track with the short touring kayak. I just demoed a 12' Perception Carolina about a month ago. I went down the Big South Fork of the Cumberland. It handled all the class II water with ease and was way comfy and stable. I just had a great time in it. It's fast, stable and tracks strait. It could even hold enough gear for a an over night'r. I would like to own one myself someday.

·
Registered
451 Posts
perception

I'm looking at day-touring type kayaks right now. The ones that have caught my eye so far are the Perception Carolina 14.5 and the Castine by Old Town Canoes & Kayaks. I'm locating dealers right now to see if I can check these or similar ones out in person.
If you are going to run rivers and day trips be sure and try the 12' Carolina before you buy. We had both versions on our trip and the 12' was the boat of choice among us. Lighter and more agile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Steve,
Are you still in the Denver area? I'll let you try out my Perception America 11 (older - entry touring) PM me. You can retro a rudder on a lot of the Perception boats..... If you like that kind of thing.....:p

PS Possumturd - I love that user name

1 - 11 of 11 Posts