Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Way to get after it! For those of you using packrafts... How are they holding up? How often are they requiring patching?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Way to get after it! For those of you using packrafts... How are they holding up? How often are they requiring patching?
I have only had mine for a year, but I have used it a lot so far. Ran the Gunnison Gorge twice, Westwater canyon, Browns canyon on the Arkansas, Gateway Canyon on the Delores, and spent a week packrafting in Lake Clark National Park in Alaska too. So far they appear to be pretty darn sturdy as I have ran into or over many Objects that I would have thought for sure would have popped the boat....but nothing has so far.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most folks (raises hand) are amazed at what these boats can and will endure. I have a veritable fleet of friends with them and I've seen one ripped tube and lots of scuffed floors. That includes many multiday trips down the Dirty Devil, Cataract Canyon, Gunny Gorge, Main Salmon, Middle Fork Salmon, Labyrinth/Stillwater (with bikes and climbing gear), as well as a whole pile of III/IV steepish creeks in the Brooks Range last summer. Several day runs down Shoshone/Moab Daily/Animas thru DGO, Gunny whitewater park, BV ww park, GJ ww "park", etc...

Most common repair is patching the floor beneath the seat, due to dragging butt in low flow creeks.

Patching is easy--using aquaseal or vinyl mender with duct tape or tyvek tape (in the field) or stabond with a small piece of tube fabric (at home). Most people I've heard of with ripped tubes have simply slapped a piece of tyvek tape over it til they got home. And often they forget to patch it "proper" for a few weeks, at which point they learn that the Tyvek has made itself permanent to the boat. Ugly but effective.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks Mike. How do you think about the packraft vs a duck? And do you have a strong opinion about the Alpackas vs NRS and other brands?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My put in date is for April 20th. The permit allows 15 and we have five confirmed so far...all packrafters from Colorado. If interested, let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ps - The NRS Packraft does not have a skirt. It turns into a bathtub at the end of a sizeable rapid. Seen it firsthand several times.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mike. How do you think about the packraft vs a duck? And do you have a strong opinion about the Alpackas vs NRS and other brands?
I don't know much about ducks--the few I've paddled have been rentals, thus (I assume) probably low end.

But the ducks have been so much heavier (5-6x the weight of a rigged-for-whitewater Alpacka), so much longer, so much less responsive, and so much less fun that, for me, there's not really a choice to be made.

Which is right for you all depends on what *you* have in mind.

In the packraft world there's Alpacka and then everyone else, where everyone else is light-years behind with their designs and materials.

Invite me over when the ice is gone and #'s are running, and I'll bring a few boats so you can gnaw on one yourself for a day...:D

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My put in date is for April 20th. The permit allows 15 and we have five confirmed so far...all packrafters from Colorado. If interested, let me know.
Interested!

I'm headed to AK in a few weeks, gone til late March. If the offer stands when I get back (i.e. if you haven't filled up), I'll ping you for details.

Thanks,

MC

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't know much about ducks--the few I've paddled have been rentals, thus (I assume) probably low end.

But the ducks have been so much heavier (5-6x the weight of a rigged-for-whitewater Alpacka), so much longer, so much less responsive, and so much less fun that, for me, there's not really a choice to be made.

Which is right for you all depends on what *you* have in mind.

In the packraft world there's Alpacka and then everyone else, where everyone else is light-years behind with their designs and materials.

Invite me over when the ice is gone and #'s are running, and I'll bring a few boats so you can gnaw on one yourself for a day...:D
Thanks for the response. #s sounds good but so does a desert float self support! :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Grass is always greener...!
True enough... In an effort to address that I overnight self supported in Brown's Canyon this past fall. That was a couple mile rather than a couple hundred mile drive to the putin. :) However, my focus this coming year is going to be self support on desert rios, snowpack allowing, with the Escalante and perhaps the Virgin Narrows topping my fantasy list. Hence, my interest in various craft.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True enough... In an effort to address that I overnight self supported in Brown's Canyon this past fall. That was a couple mile rather than a couple hundred mile drive to the putin. :) However, my focus this coming year is going to be self support on desert rios, snowpack allowing, with the Escalante and perhaps the Virgin Narrows topping my fantasy list. Hence, my interest in various craft.
I hear ya.

Escalante and Virgin Gnarrows are both high on my list this spring, as well. Virgin came up, briefly, a few days ago, but it was *brief*.

I'm headed to AK from 2/20 to 3/20, thus I fear I may miss the Gnarrows this year.

Pretty easy to get a week+ worth of camp gear and food into the new zipper boats.

Check out this:

https://vimeo.com/52512344

and this:

https://vimeo.com/52134818

In the Cat video we all have zipper boats, with overnight gear stashed inside the tubes.

In the ID vid I'm the only one with a zipper boat, but we were out 8 days with no re-ups, so all camp gear, food, hiking gear, camera gear, batts, etc... had to fit not only in the boat but on my back. So unbelievably game changing to have all that bulk and mass down low at ~waterline instead of up high as it is in the old-school packrafts or current ducks. Even with 8 days worth of stuff in my boat it was still *easy* to roll up.

If any of your trips involve driving to the put in, you can get substantially more than a week worth of shiznit inside the tubes. I think my limit would be ~3 weeks, but I can go pretty light on food and clothing.

Good time to be a self-supported boater.

MC

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Realy nice video work.

I have self supported out of creek hard shell kayaks for 5 days.

I would like to know how you guys do 8 days in such tiny craft and it is all covered up and clean.

I am guessing all freeze dry. Would you share more information on your food lists?

good stuff appreciate you sharing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts