Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this project that I'm working on for an Ecotourism class I'm taking at CSU that requires me to create a program of some sort with the theme of "Uniquely Fort Collins." I've come up with the idea of a day solely devoted to the celebration of the Poudre, similar to a smaller scale version of the Sustainable Living Fair. Instead of sustainability obviously, I want the event to be focused on all the aspects of the Poudre River: recreation, water use, current issues and plans. At the end of the semester we have to present the idea to a panel of judges and to the City of Fort Collins Tourism Department. If they like my plan then there is a good chance it will be taken on and actually implemented.

My group and I have been diligently talking with local businesses and organizations like New Belgium, JAX, The Mountain Shop, Save the Poudre, Friends of the Poudre, and many others to see if they'd be interested in participating. I mean who wouldn't want to have a day or potentially an entire weekend solely devoted to drinking good beer, playing in the water, learning more about the river, and most importantly celebrating the Poudre?

And now, after a somewhat long intro, I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas or good contacts for this potential event. It would be a great help to my group and me.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Poudre River Kayaks would love to be a part of it. Let me know if you want me to do anything. Or just make my brother do it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
from the sounds of the mishap at mishawaka after the gnarrows race, i think we should all stay away from the mish. i wasnt there, but it didnt sound like a friendly scene.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There already is a Poudre River Fest which Friends of the Poudre puts on, it has been at both Picnic Park and Gateway Park in past years. I don't think there is a Poudre river related event along the river in town though, and doing this could draw a really large crowd. I second Crane on not having it at the Mish, those guys are jerks. Here are a few ideas if you have it in town:

Flyfishing Demonstrations
Live music directly adjacent the river - Legacy Park is right on College and on the river, the property next to New Belgium could be cool as well.
Free TUBING Shuttle!
Ducky Tour, Canoe Tour - PRKC!
Birding Tours
Water Quality stations (and other educational programs) - get kids in waders (or not) out into the river to measure flow, depth, discharge, water chemistry, and most exciting; to look for macroinvertebrates, Crawdads...

The last two are programs that the city of Fort Collins already has organized, check in with their natural areas program. Another thing to do would be a river cleanup, though I know MWD puts one on in June (maybe do another for the festival if it is in July?). You know I am down to help with this Becky, it sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Second the cleanup

I second the clean-up. Not sure about the town sections, but the Tube Plant section (Filter Plant) was a mess by mid summer with tubes, can, trash, bootie and more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yourrealdad, can I quote you on that when I give my presentation?

The idea is to have it in Fort Collins, focusing on the stretch through town. I wanted it up the canyon because it's my primary home during the summer, but like Josh said we wanted bigger numbers, and to attract more people that aren't regularly on the Poudre. My teacher says that Jim Clarke from Fort Collins Tourism is really interested in the play park because of how many people and how much money it could bring in. He thinks I should focus on vistors becoming more aware of the flow through town so that more people can learn about the Fort Collins play park plan, and in general, more about the National Hertiage Site in town. I don't know, it's still a rough idea.

What do you think? Would it be better in town or up the canyon?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My neighbor, Rico Moore started the Cache la Poudre River Foundation which is an organization founded for the protection of wild trout through town. Rico is a professional fly fisher and would probably be interested in this, especially if it was held in Foco. His website is Cache la Poudre River Foundation

1 - 13 of 13 Posts