Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68000000 gallons an hour. I may have done my math wrong, but is this really the number that Lake Powell and lake Mead lose to evaporation every hour of everyday?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Based on the estimates found on page 16, line 256 : http://www.riversimulator.org/Resources/Hydrology/TomMyers2013.pdf

I calculate 18,603,546 Gallons / hour from Powell alone.

Using the 1.22 meter / year Powell number with Meads 640 km² I get 23,506,068 Gallons / hour.

Total being 42,109,614 Gallons / hour. Environmental factors between Powell and Mead could conceivably alter the 1.22 m/y value drastically, so your 68mill could be in the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My data was from 2000 when they were near full. I assume they had considerable more surface area.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
I heard once that if they put one more dam on the Lower Colorado mainstem, the evaporation from all the reservoirs combined would exceed the inflows. This makes higher altitude reservoirs more popular, and is a really good reason to use artificial aquifer recharge for storage.

-AH

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
42000000 gallons an hour is 1500 cfs. That is a nice flow going into the sky.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is about half what is going into Westwater now.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Got to love it when a few people take it upon themselves to massively alter things for future generation's , gee, thanks guy's, I will likely never get to experience glen canyon because you thought you'd just decide what was in the best interest for future humanity.
Oh well, sounds like the mud flows at the bottom of res are slowly but surely creeping toward the center and seeling that reservoures fate, in the next generation, or 10.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Got to love it when a few people take it upon themselves to massively alter things for future generation's , gee, thanks guy's, I will likely never get to experience glen canyon because you thought you'd just decide what was in the best interest for future humanity.
Oh well, sounds like the mud flows at the bottom of res are slowly but surely creeping toward the center and seeling that reservoures fate, in the next generation, or 10.

Oh settle down.
Most of us, when these things were being planned and built, weren't even born. Hoover Damn was Roosevelt's thing and was built in the 1930's. Hell, my Dad wasn't even old enough to vote.
Glen Canyon was finished when I was a junior in high school in the mid 60's; no one asked my opinion.
When McPhee was planned and built in the 70's and 80's I was a hairy wild eyed guide and I stood up there with Martin Litton and the Sierra club and raised hell about it. We lost. It turns out that ranchers and bean farmers had the inside line and the deal was done before anyone even knew there was a deal.

And I'm one of the old farts around here. Anyone younger than me can't be blamed cause, you know, no one asked them cause they were babies. Or a gleam in a teenagers eye.

I still think the answer is in the Abbey book, the Monkey Wrench Gang, but I can't get anyone to rent me a house boat. Something about not letting me fill it with fertilizer or something.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Man, I don't have the energy to run the numbers but just think of how much all of the oceans waste into the air through evaporation.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Man, I don't have the energy to run the numbers but just think of how much all of the oceans waste into the air through evaporation.
Ahhh the global desalination plant... Gotta love the hydrolgic cycle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts