Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we went to Union Chutes last friday and the gauge said 960 and 5-0 didn't have a pile on it. Just a green wave.

When i was there in april at just over 1000 there was a nice pile to keep you in.

What's the deal? Is the gauge mess up or is 5-0 that sensitive that a few cfs changes it that much?

And, has anyone been there this week to know if 5-0 is in now?

·
Registered
389 Posts
5-0 is the second drop? It never had much of a foam pile on it. I think it was mostly just a steep wave.

I bet the extended very high water at Union caused the sediment to shift, which changed the wave.

When the water was at 1500, the 4th or 5th drop down produced a great wave with a fluffy foam pile. Is that still there at current water levels?

·
Registered
260 Posts
5-0 is the second drop? It never had much of a foam pile on it. I think it was mostly just a steep wave.

I bet the extended very high water at Union caused the sediment to shift, which changed the wave.

When the water was at 1500, the 4th or 5th drop down produced a great wave with a fluffy foam pile. Is that still there at current water levels?
5-0 is (was) the wave that is the 4th drop if you include the dam. I would bet that the high water changed the wave a bit, It was absolutely rockin at 3000 in late may!

The order at Union I believe goes, The Dam, Hollywood, #3, Hawaii 5-0, then a couple randoms, and we named the very last drop "the sorority chick" cause when she's not full of water (or alcohol) she's a bitch but when its flowin big its a nice little wave/hole. Big meaning over 1700 for that one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I'm talking about the 4th drop, Hawaii 5-0.

Anyone been there in the past week. The gauge is at 1050 and 5-0 should be good to go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been told that it (4th drop, aka Hawaii 5-0) truly comes in at 1200. I hit it at 1200 to 3000 all May and it is good good good at all of those levels.

If you want a good ole fashion beat down, then you are looking for the second drop, aka Hollywood.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i've been there recently. it sucks at this level. back in april when it was 1070 it was a little wave with foam but surged. at this level it is a glass wave with no foam and it was hard to catch and if you did your ride wouldnt last long.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I looked back at my notes from this spring and found the following:
(all values in cfs)

20th Street Wave:
1840 - in, no eddy service, glassy, munchy
2600 - in, no eddy service, munchy

Tressle Wave:
1840 - in, eddy service, glass, smooth
2600 - in, no eddy service, fast and smooth, cleaner than 1840

Union top hole:
950ish - glassy, fast and fun
1500 - big retentive pile, fast, fun
2510 - spooky

Union Hollywood:
400 - 1000: fun to surf, chundery
1000 - 1300: alot to handle
>1300: have shoulder doc lined up

Union Hawaii 5.0
950ish - glassy, slow, hard to spin
1500 - glassy, eddy service, really good
2510 - in, fast, big munchy pile

Union lower hole
1500 - great, a bit shallow
2510 - great, glassy and smooth, mystry moves occur on the river right side of the fold (where'd he go?)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was there last week when it was at 1180 cfs for a short while, and 5.0 didn't have a pile. I have also notice that Hollywood isn't as chundery as it was earlier on. I agree with the theory that the bottom sediment has probably washed out and altered the character of the waves and holes a bit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Union lower hole
1500 - great, a bit shallow
2510 - great, glassy and smooth, mystry moves occur on the river right side of the fold (where'd he go?)
Agreed.

Things like this will happen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rob,
Bwelll asked me about that the other night ... what it is I think is that when the flows get high like it did last month it washes alot of the sediment away and changes the riverbed thus changing the rivers features.

Wanna boat Sat?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts