Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share my experience building a raft trailer on the cheap.

I found a used boat trailer on Craigslist for free. I had to pay 45 to drop the boat. To work as a boat trailer I wanted the deck higher and wider, and the wheels to fit inside under the deck.

I used a cheap harbor freight grinder and abrasive blades in a skillsaw to cut the steel. I then rented a 110 volt buzz-box wire feed welder and cut and welded it together as shown in the pics.

IF I CAN, ANYONE CAN USE A WIRE FEED WELDER. Just tweak the settings unitl it works, go slow, and be patient.

I used half-inch MDO plywood for the deck. It's what they make signs out of, and it's coated/fused with a waterproof paper cover. It's bomber, especially if you treat it with deck sealer, or thinned varnish. It's slick enough that I can slide a fully loaded 16' cat on and off if the back of the trailer is in the river.

Still need to figure out a roller and winch, but I'm only into it for between 4 and 5 hundred. Sorry the pics are out of order.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re trailor

Nicely done. Opens another door of thinking for myself. Hopefully Ill have some pics to share back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why did you take the winch off?
The winch in the original pic was just stuck on there with a piece of wood. It fell off on the way home. I also built a new, longer tongue so I can get the raft further into the water without drowning the truck.

I'm putting a new winch on, but I've built a couple of these, and have never needed it.

Danno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts