Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
who believes it to be a well oiled machine? (not a person most people would consider to be "smart" I hope)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Horse shit.
I would assume those applicants were joe boaters 2nd cousin's buddy Phil, who was told to apply for the group. Oh well, they'll probably cancel anyhow. I'm not surprised, government anything is truly garbage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another mistake

Not surprised. Last year Middle Fork permits were available on Rec.gov for the period between August 15 and September 15, salmon spawning season, after the March 15 deadline. It was shutdown fast, but I could have booked a permit for early Sept.

·
Super Moderator
4,258 Posts
...apparently the government is not the well oiled machine we all believe it to be...
Any large public or private organization will follow the Law of Proportional Dysfunctionality. This law states that the relative level of dysfunction in an organization is directly proportional to the size of that organization.

-AH

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
Personally, I spend at least three or four days a week on government land recreating. Hiking the r tr or boating the river (city government land), snow biking or skiing on National Forest. And paddling the Ark (state government)? You want to privatize that? Get your head out of a dark place you stupid ignorant conservative republicians. You should thank your lucky stars we have lots of government and lots dedicated people in government. Go ahead and keep giving the GNP to the very rich if it makes you happy.

I don't know the details of the permits but you never made a computer mistake or had something go wrong?

If you go to the N Rockies you can see where the "government" gave every other section of land to the railroads if they would build a road across the country. You can tell the private from the public land. Hint: the private land is clearcut.

You want to take our (my) public land? I may be a liberal but I have liberal amts of backbone and lead that says bring your A game MF. Oh, of course it wouldn't be you that takes it. It would go to the v rich. Or haven't you figgered that out numb nuts.

Have a nice day in your fantasy land. Jez.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
Personally, I spend at least three or four days a week on government land recreating. Hiking the r tr or boating the river (city government land), snow biking or skiing on National Forest. And paddling the Ark (state government)? You want to privatize that? Get your head out of a dark place you stupid ignorant conservative republicians. You should thank your lucky stars we have lots of government and lots dedicated people in government. Go ahead and keep giving the GNP to the very rich if it makes you happy.

I don't know the details of the permits but you never made a computer mistake or had something go wrong?

If you go to the N Rockies you can see where the "government" gave every other section of land to the railroads if they would build a road across the country. You can tell the private from the public land. Hint: the private land is clearcut.

You want to take our (my) public land? I may be a liberal but I have liberal amts of backbone and lead that says bring your A game MF. Oh, of course it wouldn't be you that takes it. It would go to the v rich. Or haven't you figgered that out numb nuts.

Holy wow. talk about missing sarcasm. The government sucks, but it could be worse. Definitely not the dream that you think it is though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Soooo...apparently the government is not the well oiled machine we all believe it to be.
Jeez! Cut some slack here. Workers sometimes make mistakes--whether they work for the government or anybody else. If you've never made a mistake on the job, you're probably the Pope.

As for giving permits to people who won the lottery when they entered after the deadline, it is a practical decision. What would cost to completely re-do the lottery? And how would you feel if you'd won on the first pass and lost on the second?

Note: If one of those conniving bastards drew a permit on the day I applied for, he deserves to be sunk in the river and devoured by crawdads.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I agree it was a private company

selected by government bureaucrats

given specifications and managed by the same people most likely who managed

health care roll out

·
Registered
358 Posts
Those late applicants must have been going for some weirdo dates on the MF with a 6% success rate - I figured I had more like a 0.6% chance. :rolleyes:

I have to say it would never have occurred to me that the lottery for the Idaho rivers would close at midnight Eastern time.

Personally I love the online system; there will always be glitches but this is quick and easy to find cancellations etc.

·
Banned
131 Posts

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahhahhahhahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhaha

That was a good one!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
being a retired computer programmer,
my bet is the reason the program is based on eastern time is because the programmer lives in the east time zone

as for as cost for a system rewrite is concerned, depends on if it is the government cost or the cost to a small profit making business. Maybe look around on the linux free software message boards and pick one up for zero dollars. Best guess is from multiple millions for a government version to free for a linux free software message board version.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The proper thing to do would have been to disallow the dates won by the late entries and refund their money. Then they could have filled those dates by repeating the lottery with non-winning applicants that applied for those dates. This would have been easy and fair. I'm guessing the refunding their money part is why they went the route they did.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
If the implementation of the lottery meant it was truly random AND anonymous, meaning employees couldn't play favorites they may have been without having to redo the application process. The deadline exists because at some point they need to stop accepting applications and actually draw them. It doesn't exist as some kind of special time barrier for the hyper aware to out game the rest of the populace.

Most of the people bitching have already been on the stretches.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts