Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,053 Posts
Latex gaskets, drybags, gear bag zippers, drysuit zippers, & Watershed drybag closures (the giant ziploc part) come to mind first.

-AH

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Once a year I give a tiny squirt in each valve while inflating it. You'd better ask everyone else here if that is really a good idea or not. I Just do it because it should help the gaskets stay flexible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use it on all my watershed bags and paco pads mostly, and my lifejacket. I also use it on my Cataract oars to help protect and prevent the UV coating on them from breaking down. I once sprayed some 303 on my brand new dry suit zipper thinking that would make it slide all nice. Wow, was I wrong. It locked up the zipper and it wouldn't budge! I quickly grabbed a hose and sprayed the 303 on jet mode out of the zipper and thankfully it returned to normal. DO NOT USE ON DRY SUIT ZIPPERS! the gaskets are fine.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Know what your life jacket is made from before spraying 303 on it. Gold Eagle, the manufacturer, recommended against using the standard 303 on any fabrics when I talked to them this spring. I believe the definition of fabrics include the nylon and cordura that are common materials for the exterior of many pfds. They did not elaborate on why but I tend to sway towards manufacturer warnings/recommendations when it comes to my technical gear like pfds. I would hate to risk it and it affects anything needed for its function (like stitching, etc).

They do sell a specific spray for fabrics though.

Phillip

·
Registered
202 Posts
Interesting. I've used that stuff on PFD's religiously for over 15 years, it's never done anything but good. Numerous outfitters also 303 their PFD's and gear to prolong the life. I'd like to hear their explanation.

And I know what my PFD's are made of.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Not sure of their rational. I do know it was designed specifically for rubbers, polypropylene and the like. Maybe the way it bonds or fails to dry to other fabrics (they explicitly state for it to work properly it needs to be buffered by hand, which may not work as well with fabrics).

Their website clearly states in bold

Not for use on unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics (canvas) or floorings.
Might be worth a call. Might be of an issue of not reaching full design/benefit versus actually causing harm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto the closures on Watershed drybags. I liberally (too) applied 303 to an Aire Landing Pad right before a Lodore trip last summer and it was a real comedy show rolling it up each morning not to mention staying on the darn thing during the night.

·
Registered
202 Posts
303 fucking up my PFD wouldn't be my biggest concern if our PFD's were made out of canvas, suede, or flooring.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
303 fucking up my PFD wouldn't be my biggest concern if our PFD's were made out of canvas, suede, or flooring.
Interesting. "Fabric" is the main grouping while canvas is an example within that grouping. Fabric is industry term that matters in this case.

Could be the company is being overly generic but when it comes to chemicals I don't mess around. Do what you want with the information but its clear 303 advises against using their primary 303 aerospace protectant with fabrics and has designed a specific cleaner/protectant for gear in that category.

For comparison, would we recommend using a repair glue on hypalon that specifically advises against using it on said material?

Phillip

·
Registered
503 Posts
Besides your boat, what other gear do you use 303 on?
Years ago, when 303 first came out, Dan Baxter (the Bax half of Andy & Bax in Portland) did a little experiment with 303. He treated one half of a new America's Cup life jacket with 303, and then put the jacket in the sun on the roof of his building. And forgot about it. A year later, he stumbled across it. The untreated half was thoroughly rotted away. The fabric had totally broken down and the flotation pads were exposed. The 303 side was in perfect condition, except for fading.

I'd say that's a pretty good argument for putting 303 on life jackets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Glue is not a fair comparison and you know it. Over 15 years with no issues, and all of our guides do the same. We've used that shit on over 1,000 PFD's, not one issue except prolonging the life. Read Mogurs post. Suns out waters up, going to boat. Have a wonderful night.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Years ago, when 303 first came out, Dan Baxter (the Bax half of Andy & Bax in Portland) did a little experiment with 303. He treated one half of a new America's Cup life jacket with 303, and then put the jacket in the sun on the roof of his building. And forgot about it. A year later, he stumbled across it. The untreated half was thoroughly rotted away. The fabric had totally broken down and the flotation pads were exposed. The 303 side was in perfect condition, except for fading.

I'd say that's a pretty good argument for putting 303 on life jackets.
I sent an email to Gold Eagle to clarify their statements. If its just an issue of potential staining, etc than who cares as the benefit outweighs that concern. But if its an issue of damaging or degrading the integrity of the fabrics we have in pfds, like cordura and nylons, than it seems worth knowing. I would love to extend the life of my pfd as they are expensive beasts and I have a huge container of 303 but I am not willing to go against a manufacturers explicit warning because of a few anecdotes about its use. I wouldn't be shocked if its a cosmetic issue myself or them trying to pimp another one of their products but just not worth the risk with a pfd until I know better.

Phillip

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glue is not a fair comparison and you know it. Over 15 years with no issues, and all of our guides do the same. We've used that shit on over 1,000 PFD's, not one issue except prolonging the life. Read Mogurs post. Suns out waters up, going to boat. Have a wonderful night.
Its actually a very fair comparison. We are talking about the bonding and affects (physical and chemical) of applying a chemical/product to technical materials. Most of us will never test the limits of said materials but still make decisions based on the worst case in this sport.

I read Mogur's post and it led me to contact Gold Eagle directly. But there is a big difference between trusting the anecdotes of strangers on the internet versus the very direct warning of a chemical manufacturer against that exact use. If Gold Eagle clarifies its a warning about cosmetics (could be that considering the products intent) then so be it and it opens up a use for 303 I have been hesitant to apply. Would love to save cash and find multiple more uses for a product I already have plenty of. Play it safe until then.

It reminds of the testing of rapids or quick links we use in canyoneering. Anecdotally tons of people rappel with success on the most flimsy of components. That said, empirical testing (done avocationally but properly) on them shows irregular failure at frightening low levels hence the industry recommendations against using certain equipment. We do a lot of stuff that many people get away with but I know I don't want to be one of the few people who end up on the sharp end of that curve.

That is my default when it comes to equipment specifically designed to protect me. Same reason I retire life jackets every 5 years or so; retire climbing ropes and harnesses, etc.

Phillip

·
Registered
202 Posts
Every 5 years? Do you boat or just over analyze shit on the internet? I can't imagine any PFD lasting more than 2 years, at best.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Every 5 years? Do you boat or just over analyze shit on the internet? I can't imagine any PFD lasting more than 2 years, at best.
I have 4 comercial pfd that I inherited from my parents. They're 30 years old and still going strong. They've been tested with numerous flips. Dude from sotar swears by 303 on the bottom of his boat before low water mfs trips. Probally works well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts