Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So once again I am feeling the urge to acquire a motor for pushing out on the flat water. Typically 3-4 rafts, pushed out on Westwater for example.

Is one of the little 3.5hp motors sufficient? If I stay in that range I save some wait and cost. I don't get reverse, but never going to use reverse on a raft rig anyway.

Thoughts?

DanCan

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
483 Posts
I like my 6hp Tohatsu. There is a new one on the Medford, OR craigs list for $1339.

New Tohatsu 6

I spent the extra money to get the charging coil but you don't need it for a two hour push out. It is however, really nice on Cat trips.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use a 1978 4 hp mercury gnat piece of garbage to push our rafts. I can push 3 16 ft rafts to Jack creek on deso in about 5 to 6 hours (~5k flows) The 4 horse is more than sufficient to do the job. Not sure how it would handle the epic winds. Wish I had a 6 hp 4 stroke.

I use a short shaft and have a panther outboard motor bracket that I can lower the unit with and I use a pvc pipe for a tiller extension. Wish I had a long shaft!

As far a gas can goes. the new units are $$ but seal really well, even in the hot sun. I strap mine to the bracket I made it does not smell or leak. I've done a small can and refilled the motor, but I converted it to the tank and like that a lot more.

You don't need much gas for a small outboard. I only need about 1.5 gallons, maybe 2 gallons for the 20 something mile trip. A 4 stroke should be more efficient.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3.5hp units are nearly 20lbs lighter than the 6hp ones. Part of that is because they only have forward/neutral I suppose. But even at 60lbs for a 6hp that isn't bad at all.

It really is cost... I can get the 3.5hp for $300 less than the 6hp. That said, if the $300 is going to get me a big advantage then I'd go that way.

Even if, in strong winds, I'm barely moving forward that is better than me pulling on the oars and getting pushed back up river. :)

DanCan

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also agree the 3.5 would do the job. Check out the local KSL adds. I saw a 5 hp merc 4 stroke for $750. When the gnat poops out (which it should have done 30 years ago) I'll probably go for a lightly used motor and save some $$.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You guys are pussies. Do you think Powell had the discussion on what sized steamship he wanted to buy?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just rowed all 85 miles of Deso- if I had a pussy it would have been sore too

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do some research and you'll find that the 3.5 is roughly 20 lbs. lighter than the 4/5/6 HP which all weigh the same because the 4/5/6 are all the same powerhead. But, in answer to the question, IMHO yes, 3.5 is plenty and worth the weight and $ savings unless you're pushing mega-barges against headwinds for days. Be sure to get the high-thrust prop. In terms of weight, if you go to 4 you might as well go to 6 because they weigh about the same. Next step up is 8 which gets heavier and is usually a twin. A twin 4, 5 or 6 of olden-days is primo but only come in 2 stroke which ultimately is better but hey, global warming right?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You guys are pussies. Do you think Powell had the discussion on what sized steamship he wanted to buy?
That's what I used to think. Then we were able to do a trip in 4 days when it usually takes 7. If it werent for the motor I wouldn't have been able to go at all. Still prefer motor less if possible but they have their place IMO.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Avoid if possible using ethanol fuel, it creates problems in these small engines. Here is a Salt Lake gas station with ethanol-free fuel:

pure-gas.org : display a station

It's worth the extra time and effort in long run. Not having lacerd (gum) carbs to tear down as often. Also, the ethanol is corrosive to the engine parts.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Avoid if possible using ethanol fuel, it creates problems in these small engines. Here is a Salt Lake gas station with ethanol-free fuel:

pure-gas.org : display a station

It's worth the extra time and effort in long run. Not having lacerd (gum) carbs to tear down as often. Also, the ethanol is corrosive to the engine parts.

Cheers!
Wow Henry, you must be a pretty smart river dog. I was a mechanic for many years and I'm hear to tell you that Ethenal is VERY harsh on all of your engines big and small. I've been trying to convince my friends and the people I work with about this for years but no one seems to care as the Ethenol percentages keep going up and up. Good to hear someone else say it for a change.

Now lets see if this thread takes a turn for the worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts