Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic (I looked but...): Anyone just off who can give a bug report, please serve it up. We have a 6/2 launch. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Off the river two days ago. The no-see- um gnats were a little pesky but not terrible. a bandanna under ballcap kept them off the ears and face. only time I used my splash pants, though, was when they were attacking my legs while trying to nap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Off the river two days ago. The no-see- um gnats were a little pesky but not terrible. a bandanna under ballcap kept them off the ears and face. only time I used my splash pants, though, was when they were attacking my legs while trying to nap.
Off the river yesterday. This is an accurate assessment of the situation right now. I have a few dozen bites on ankles and on the back of my head. Annoying, but very tolearable still. Citronella based bug spray worked perfectly once I noticed the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got off this morning. No mosquitoes but the gnats were epic in the flat water and at a few camps further downstream. I'm guessing the mosquitoes are coming soon. Mostly posting to follow this thread since I have another deso trip in july.

Also, steer ridge was no big deal at the level we ran it. I moved to miss a hole that I'm guessing was the new rock but it was an easy, obvious move. We scouted since we kept hearing different things about the rock fall but I dont think it was necessary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We got off on Sunday. Minimal bugs for our entire trip, even Sand Wash. However, we got to Sand Wash on Monday the 13th right after a windy front moved through. Woke up on Tuesday to launch with much cooler weather. Amazing trip overall. Typical afternoon winds most days. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we had all day winds with stormy weather Saturday night. Enjoy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the updates all keep them coming. I had a question. It looks like no fire ban now but I am anticipating one. Does anyone know if I can still use charcoal in my fire pan when there is a ban?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
No fire ban on deso yet.

Just off the river, some mosquitoes at Sand Wash, mostly at dusk, but nothing anger inducing. The big surprise was in the morning when it was completely calm and cool there wasn't a single bug to be found.

Yesterday at Coal Creek camp gnats were enough to cause some puffy faces and get folks to bring out the hoodies or bandanas in the later evening and again first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
off on July 2. (insect) bugs were less bad than two weeks previous. rain each day so maybe they'll come up a little? bigger concern was.......tolio. ie the foot rot nastiness. the terror of the colorado river. if you aren't wearing muck boots in the sand wash mud, be sure to wash your feet pronto. same for any time you have the clay muck caked on your feet. get it off, dry your feet off, keep them dry, wash your sandals!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts