Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. Thinking about running the N. Platte this coming weekend. Flows are 1,900 CFS today. I've done Routte to Treasure Island once (850cfs with a 16' raft). We basically pinballed through the Narrows but managed to squeak through unscathed. (That combo is slightly too big and too low, BTW).

From reading through past threads, it seems like 1,200-2,000 CFS is the sweet spot between too boney and too scary. If that's where it's hanging next weekend, the plan is to float Northgate. If it's lower, the plan is to put in a Six Mile and floating to Treasure Island.

Looking for any feedback re: my flow assessment and about launching at Six Mile. I know it means hauling a lot of gear, but is that the only potential downside? Have never seen that access. Any reports on conditions/hazards from anyone who's been down this year?

We'll probably have 3 guys and 1 boat, so if anyone else is planning to run that weekend, feel free to reach out. Thanks!

- eric

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hard to imagine less than 1,200 next weekend. It could rise just as easily as drop - so much snow remaining.

Six mile is easy except for the walk. But it's an actual walking path so plenty of room to carry a boat. Just plan on extra time for a few trips carrying gear. I would plan on launching at Routt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to imagine less than 1,200 next weekend. It could rise just as easily as drop - so much snow remaining.

Six mile is easy except for the walk. But it's an actual walking path so plenty of room to carry a boat. Just plan on extra time for a few trips carrying gear. I would plan on launching at Routt.

Thanks, Bruce.

·
Registered
212 Posts
7,000 CFS over the weekend!

Did you venture in? 7,000 is possibly an all-time high. Expected to dip "down" for a few days and ramp back up later this week. Wow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you venture in? 7,000 is possibly an all-time high. Expected to dip "down" for a few days and ramp back up later this week. Wow.

Haha, uh...no. And to think, I was worried about LOW water! Going to wait until things calm down a bit. However, I sure hope someone goes and gets some photos/footage! 7,000CFS through Northgate would be a sight to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts