Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting the season off right with a swim on Westwater, in a no-name rapid. Hit a rock, flipped and didn't even try to roll. Came up hollerin' about being cold (quote: I'm cold! I'm COLD!!!!), even though I was actually relatively warm. I think I was more just shocked than anything... not used to big wide rivers, didn't know which way to swim, and being cold was just the first thing that came to mind. By the time I got out of the water I was already warmed up. Silly swim... wish I would have at least tried to roll... plus nobody threw me a turkey leg. Maybe it was because I didn't have my whistle... oh well, lessons learned.
Boyfriend swam on Funnel Falls... first time in three years I've seen him swim.
I figure this means it's probably going to be a pretty awesome year.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Need some impartial referees. 2 guys on a very windy trip.

Guy 1 gets pushed over by the wind in shallow otherwise flat water and pulls skirt fumbling for a bit.
Guy 2 sees fumbling and goes for hand of god prior to guy 1 exiting the boat.
Guy 1 paddles a very swamped boat to shore but exits on land without ever technically swimming?

Bootie beer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glenn: I'd say guy1 owes either a bootie beer or at very least beer for the owner of the hand used for said hand of God rescue.

So Monday I went for my first lap of the season. I flipped on Shoshone in the first wave and dislocated my shoulder somewhere between the brace failure and roll set up. Pulled the skirt and swam. I even paid tribute with a pre-season bootie beer at the put in, guess that didn't work out for me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glenn: I'd say guy1 owes either a bootie beer or at very least beer for the owner of the hand used for said hand of God rescue.

So Monday I went for my first lap of the season. I flipped on Shoshone in the first wave and dislocated my shoulder somewhere between the brace failure and roll set up. Pulled the skirt and swam. I even paid tribute with a pre-season bootie beer at the put in, guess that didn't work out for me.
Did you finish your run? How was the flow? Bummer on the shoulder man, sounds like having a season-ending crash on opening day on a green run, get better!!

·
Registered
538 Posts

Have you done this before or new injury? If its common, slide it back in, and go about your day. Mine slides out literally 2-3 times a week if I am not careful. I am bout to hit deductible (Baby) so going to get some surgery done in later summer/fall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you done this before or new injury? If its common, slide it back in, and go about your day. Mine slides out literally 2-3 times a week if I am not careful. I am bout to hit deductible (Baby) so going to get some surgery done in later summer/fall.
First time, but I'd say I'll be full speed far before the start of the season which unless I've changed zip codes won't start for six more weeks.

On the plus side the shoulder has full range of motion and deep muscle soreness but not much "pain" and the dry suit test went well although I had planned on initiating it under different terms.

·
Registered
538 Posts
First time, but I'd say I'll be full speed far before the start of the season which unless I've changed zip codes won't start for six more weeks.

On the plus side the shoulder has full range of motion and deep muscle soreness but not much "pain" and the dry suit test went well although I had planned on initiating it under different terms.
I bet that felt great pulling arm through drysuit sleeve.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I took a swim in the lochsa falls. Again??? Oh well had fun reflip was cake. Had to flip the new cat. Hot times.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about this thread. Had a swim in Lair of the Bear on Bear at 250 or so. Pitoned pretty hard after the main ledge, that threw me sideways and upside down into a pin on the rock that splits the right and left channels. Rolled once, then pushed back down, and then hammered down the right channel upside down until I didn't want to hit rocks anymore. Boat recovered in downtown Morrison.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Also, let's hear the story behind this news post.
Sounds like a typical story and a good reminder that if you swim and lose your boat it's a good idea to contact the local authorities so they don't freak out. When people find an unmanned boat there's a tendency to assume the person whom it belongs to is in trouble.

I know there are A LOT of unreported swims already this year. I personally like the swim thread tradition.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Swim team captain checking in... Swam at the gore playpark a few weeks ago... Yes I swam at a playpark, the same day I got my first loop...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got dump trucked in mile 232.1 rapid on the Grand Canyon. That'll teach me to ease up on the indulgence right after a resupply at Diamond.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yeah, so I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. At least I won't be held in suspense as to whether or not I'll make it through a year without swimming.

So there I was. Bear Creek. Empty parking except for Brian, of course. My partner bails after the scout so I jump on with Brian and Lucas. I did the the run with roughly the same cfs on the gauge from my previous run after the floods, but the calibration has obviously changed as there's clearly quite a bit more water in the creek than when I ran it before.

We do a couple sketchy log portages, but we cruise through No Fun Falls without incident (it was fun once I was through it). We eddy out above the lower slide into the double ledge holes. We commit.

I've scouted my line and know where I want to be at the crux, the first of the ledge holes. As I enter, I'm so focused on the overhanging branch at the horizon, my position at the horizon line, and the boater in front me making it through that I fail to notice the branch right above my head grabbing my paddle. It almost causes me to flip as I pull my paddle free but by the time I'm straightened out I'm already at the lip. I throw a boof stroke with no speed, but there's a big boil and you need speed and a boof to clear it.

I'm surfing, kind of hoping that Brian might slam into me from behind. Every time I flip my paddle drags across some boulders and almost gets torn out of my hand, but every time I roll up I'm locked into a side surf.

It felt like I was surfing it a long time. I managed to work my way back to river right a little bit where the surf wasn't quite as violent, but every time I thought I could move a little and I'd try to twist my stern back into the pour over, I just went back into a side surf.

During all this Brian got out of his boat and walked back upstream to try to grab my bow. I tried surfing back towards him, but he couldn't quite reach. I dug a couple more times towards him, but I got put in a funny spot where I was having trouble holding a brace and kept getting dumped underwater.

I probably should have just gone with it at that point and tried to roll again on the other side, and hope I could get another shot a Brian rescuing me. Unfortunately, I was getting tired and stopped making optimal decisions, so I punched out. It actually took me a few tries to get my grab loop, which was an unpleasant feeling.

Swimming sucks, but all my gear was immediately recovered, woohoo! And somehow we survived another sketchy log portage and the rest of the run.

The real Bear Creek is back and angrier than ever.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts