Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Buzzards!

Crazy year for Bailey and Roberts Tunnel. This will go down as one of the all time low tunnel years. On the flip side, Bailey was huge during runoff. Never ran deer creek rapid that high before this year. Love it!

Denver Water has bumped up the tunnel to 100 cfs today. Late summer demand is finally getting tunnel flows moving. Not enough to paddle though.

Denver Water mentioned that they are looking to do a power plant test on the Roberts Tunnel hydro plant facilities. They noted that they may bump flows to 250-275 for a day maybe 2 to test the facilities. They think it could be some time in september, but don't have a date yet. Keep your eyes on the gauge. Could get a late season bailey day in before this season wraps up.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Thanks for the update, Ian. I drove by Dillon yesterday and it's incredibly full for Labor Day. Any indications that they may move any water down toward Green Mountain Res?

Thanks for keeping the beta flowing!

-AH

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question Andy. Spoke with DW again about this. No real answers and lots of variables. They do have to pull down dillon levels before winter sets in. Not sure if its going down the blue or the tunnel. The volumes they have to move over the time they have to move it could pretty easily be done with small cfs flow rates that wouldn't translate into boatable flows. I'll keep this in mind as I communicate with DW over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Now that we've missed raspberry season, if they could time the release to coincide with peak fall colors, I wouldn't mind doing some Bailey leaf peeping.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Good question Andy. Spoke with DW again about this. No real answers and lots of variables. They do have to pull down dillon levels before winter sets in. Not sure if its going down the blue or the tunnel. The volumes they have to move over the time they have to move it could pretty easily be done with small cfs flow rates that wouldn't translate into boatable flows. I'll keep this in mind as I communicate with DW over the next few weeks.
Bailey is the better paddling option and I hope they can release out of the tunnel. However, if they do decide to push to green mountain getting a release that would make the upper blue runnable would be a good alternate win. Your ninja'ing with the DW has been a service to the community, thanks again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
up and up?

Are they going to keep bumping up the flows? At ~160 now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Worried it's starting to get too high Mike? Looks like the tunnel has been steady at 100 for a while now: Detail Graph
Opps must of been blind optimism when I saw it in Bailey yesterday I thought there must be more than 100 in there. Guess not.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to Denver Water today. They think that they will bump up the tunnel later on this week by around 50 cfs +/-. That would put about 200 total in the north fork. Too low for me, but you wouldn't be the first to paddle it that low.

No work on timing of the hydro test yet. When they test they will release water for 1-2 days that could be 250 or so, so 300 in the river, which is enough for me. I'll keep tabs on the plans, but keep checking the gauge in case they jump on it.

Has anyone been down to bear creek now that its super low to scour it for lost gear?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Denver water bumped up the tunnel to 150 cfs yesterday. They told me today that they plan on bumping the tunnel up to 200 cfs tomorrow (sat) morning. That would put flows at the bailey gauge at around 240 cfs. I paddled bailey at 240 cfs during the drought and consider that my personal min. There are prob some mank hounds out there that will go in and get it. According to Denver Water, then plan on holding the 200 cfs flow for a week or two... with the caveat that precip or demand changes could change that.

No word on hydro test schedule. Hydro test will likely bump up the tunnel to 250 (300 in the river total) and will last for a day or so.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to Denver Water today. They are holding the 200 release for a few days and plan to bump up the release to 250 later this week. No exact date yet on the bump, but prob wed thru fri timing. This should put about 300 cfs in the river. DW is ramping down cheeseman outflow and ramping up tunnel outflow to balance where flows come from. I think we will see this range of flows for the next week or so.

I am looking to paddle during the day Friday and potentially one day this week too. Hit me up if you want to paddle.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DW bumped up the tunnel to 250. ~300 in bailey. Anyone want to paddle tomorrow afternoon? Hit me up. 303-907-1373. Welded my mank boat today and ready to go!

·
Registered
329 Posts
So the flow through waterton has stayed relatively the same. The north fork flow got bumped up but the south fork was lowered. Is this due to them having to test something along the north fork, or are they just switching which reservoirs they are getting water from. Is it likely to stay the same for a while or will they lower the north fork flow pretty soon?

·
Registered
685 Posts
They have moved flows out of Dillon/Roberts to balance out the system. They told me it could hold until it rains or cools off, but no guarantee.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts