Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea of when boundary opened in 2005? SWE sits almost the exact same in regards to the day. If not that answer, what is the earliest opening anyone has experienced the road opening. Seems things are obviously pretty far ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't know about the road but I saw a yak and a small raft pulling out of MFS confluence last week. Possible fly in. They were Alaskans.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not sure about 2005, but

according to the hydrographs published by the Forest Service, SWE last year on opening day was 7.8. It is at 12.0 now.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Banner summit snow depth dropped 7" in the last week. Looking good for our June 3 launch.

Sent from my HTC One using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The one resource I found doesn't list the 2005 opening date:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5364381.pdf

Its dropping fast up there and Banner is now at 56%. Snow/rain forecast for region this week but they probabilities look minimal.

Its rare that I wish for low snow but at this point I am just hoping it stays the course and those of us with early season permits get a good level. A lot of us with bated breathe right now.

Phillip

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
June 3rd, you're stylin with that launch date. Thanks for the info guys, it looks like the road opened May 13 in 2007 sitting on more snow than now. Of course things can change quickly around those parts but I'm optimistic about May 17 at the moment.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We flew into Bernard last week and were probably the kayak and small raft you saw taking out at the confluence. The Alaskans flew into Indian Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
196 Posts
May 18

Yes I to am hoping for the road to Boundary to be open putting on May 18. I'm wondering about camp sites is it possible that pre season boaters aren't restricted to assigned camps and its more about good ethics among other boaters on a first come first choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes I to am hoping for the road to Boundary to be open putting on May 18. I'm wondering about camp sites is it possible that pre season boaters aren't restricted to assigned camps and its more about good ethics among other boaters on a first come first choice.

The top between Boundary and Indian Creek will be first come first serve. You will need to check in with the Ranger at Indian Creek for camp assignments for the rest of the trip. That is the way it was on my last preseason.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
June 3rd, you're stylin with that launch date. Thanks for the info guys, it looks like the road opened May 13 in 2007 sitting on more snow than now. Of course things can change quickly around those parts but I'm optimistic about May 17 at the moment.
May 14th here, crossing our fingers.

1-2 weeks from today. So the about the 18th?
:lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The word I get from the rangers thus far is we are tracking more like 2013, with over 100% early, then dropping, dropping due to temps and no late snow. That year road opened May 13th. Check out 10 yr hydrograph on MF USFS site, lots of data to ponder. We put on 6/11, expecting about 4 ft.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts