Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ya'll,
So I recently moved to Boise and looking to git into a Cataraft for the Southfork of the Boise and similar floats mainly for fly fishing single and multi day trips. Have read a ton on materials, glued vs welded, AIRE, RMR, HySide, NRS, AVON, Hypalon vs PVC, Bladder/no Bladder, 1.21 gigawatts of power, ect ect ect. You git my point. There are sooooo many opinions, sales sshpeals on everything so thot I would git some more info on what yall thot.

Soooo ive been looking at Saturn Catarafts and the 15'6" tubes

Cost: Tubes are going for these Saturns at about $899. Lets look at the AIRE Jaguarundi which would be similar 24" tubes but at the high end quality if I was to go that route. These run in a range roughly at $2500 bucks.

Use: Im mainly running flyfishing trips so no real beating the raft up in Class 4 or 5z.

My thing is mainly price. So lets say I go with the Saturn and end up with a irreparable tube. So I replace with another set at $899. Im still under the cost of the AIRE Jaguarundi right?....and now I have extra tube. I could really get a total of 3 sets of Saturn tubes roughly for the price of 1 set of the AIRE tubes.

Mercedes vs Hyundai?? You are rolling down the road with both.

Would like to hear yalls thots and assistance on this decision and from anyone who owns a Saturn Cataraft.
Thanks
RC

·
Registered
61 Posts
riverboatworks.com is having a sale if you want to get on the inexpensive road get RMR. I have rowed one, owned one, and have some friends with them nice for the money. Or do what you want with the Saturn road. Just dont mention on here ever again because everyone is just gonna have a bash session.

·
Registered
175 Posts
IMHO RMR = POS! We saw a trip going through Cramer a couple of weeks ago and noticed one raft carrying a single RMR cat tube.

Later that day, while the wife and I were rigging at Corn Creek for our one-boat/two dog main trip, the group pulled in (some were taking out from their MF trip and the rest were continuing on the main a few days later).

They said the RMR cat was brand new (sales guy told them it was the last boat theyd ever buy). Hit a rock in Powerhouse the first day of the trip and the tube failed! Had to derigg and pack the POS out.

RMR and Saturn prove that you get what you pay for. Both products are unsuitable for serious water. You are putting a group at risk by bringing one of these on a trip! Save your money and find a quality used boat.

·
Banned
162 Posts
IMHO RMR = POS! We saw a trip going through Cramer a couple of weeks ago and noticed one raft carrying a single RMR cat tube.

Later that day, while the wife and I were rigging at Corn Creek for our one-boat/two dog main trip, the group pulled in (some were taking out from their MF trip and the rest were continuing on the main a few days later).

They said the RMR cat was brand new (sales guy told them it was the last boat theyd ever buy). Hit a rock in Powerhouse the first day of the trip and the tube failed! Had to derigg and pack the POS out.

RMR and Saturn prove that you get what you pay for. Both products are unsuitable for serious water. You are putting a group at risk by bringing one of these on a trip! Save your money and find a quality used boat.
The RMR cat tubes are starting to show their true chinese colors, They have been having nose cone issues and starting to leak. I spoke with a repair guy about them and he won't touch them.Even though they are heat welded the way the cones are attached are the same ol situation.Dealers love them because of the 40% margin, you pay 1000.00 for a 225.00 set of imported tubes is it really that good of deal? It is just a 225.00 boat you over paid for.

I always thought the rafts looked like a jacks plastic copy almost.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think if your buying your fly fishing gear form Walmart you'll be happy with a Saturn boat, If you buy better quality stuff and keep it for years you may want to look at a better quality boat. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'd say it's about your budget and your comfort level with risk. If Saturn cat tubes are all you truly can afford, then that's what you can buy to get on the river. Just know that you're taking a boat on the river that's sold at Costco, and might not hold up in the long run. Yes, you can buy 3 of them to equal the cost of a top quality craft, but there are greater odds that the bargain brand might leave you stranded on a river somewhere. It doesn't take class III-IV to damage a boat. A lot of damage actually occurs in transport to the river & overinflation. I realize that you'll also be spending money on a frame, oars, straps, pumps, safety & repair equipment, etc. and this can add up to lots of $$$$. The tubes are the heart of the system though, so don't skimp if you can, and if you can't, take the best care of them that you can. With proper care, maybe you'll get a fair amount of mileage out of the bargain tubes ???? Good luck & happy floating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Yall,
Just a heads up to some. Im looking for your recommendations that will assist me in this decision process. If you wouldnt buy a Saturn, then just simply say something similar to "These rafts are in the same price range and would probably look at _______ or _______ and are a bit more money but better quality." Then just simply tell me why you would go that route so I and others learn from you. So if you have a recommendation or direction you might think would be helpful, for myself or others who might be in the same boat trying to decide on a good quality budget raft, then please share your knowledge in order to help all of us make a better decision. Im learning just as yall did in your early years.
Thanks a bunch for your assistance.
Cheers for now
RC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say it's about your budget and your comfort level with risk. If Saturn cat tubes are all you truly can afford, then that's what you can buy to get on the river. Just know that you're taking a boat on the river that's sold at Costco, and might not hold up in the long run. Yes, you can buy 3 of them to equal the cost of a top quality craft, but there are greater odds that the bargain brand might leave you stranded on a river somewhere. It doesn't take class III-IV to damage a boat. A lot of damage actually occurs in transport to the river & overinflation. I realize that you'll also be spending money on a frame, oars, straps, pumps, safety & repair equipment, etc. and this can add up to lots of $$$$. The tubes are the heart of the system though, so don't skimp if you can, and if you can't, take the best care of them that you can. With proper care, maybe you'll get a fair amount of mileage out of the bargain tubes ???? Good luck & happy floating.
Nicely put cataraftgirl. Mucho Thanks ;-)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Nicely put cataraftgirl. Mucho Thanks ;-)
You are very welcome. Look around for some high quality used tubes, or maybe an entire set-up. Check your local craigslist, MB or NRS gear swap. Check with Aire & Maravia in Boise for used, demo, or factory seconds tubes. If you're just into fishing, take a look at the Outcast line of cats.

If Saturn is all your budget will buy, then go for it. Take good care of the tubes. Don't overinflate them. Try not to kill them, and they might last you a few seasons. Mainly, just get on the river and have fun.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I blundered into an old JPW cat a few years ago. Straps oars, water jugs rockets, drybox, cooler, everything but groovers and a paco pad for under 2k I have had to spend a little money on it, but trolling for a used boat of quality sounds like a better economy to me than buying a Chinese Junk.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The Saturn tube construction looks sketch compared to how other cats are constructed.

Why do you need 16' tubes? For a single fisherman a 14' cat boat might be easier to load or unload. A new/old stock ocelot is close to $1700 on aire hot deals. If they haven't sold them.

Most fishermen I know prefer rafts due to the floors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Saturn tube construction looks sketch compared to how other cats are constructed.

Why do you need 16' tubes? For a single fisherman a 14' cat boat might be easier to load or unload. A new/old stock ocelot is close to $1700 on aire hot deals. If they haven't sold them.

Most fishermen I know prefer rafts due to the floors

Two reasons: 1. A Cat mainly cause I live in apartments so the ability to break down and store....and 2. I like the options of the 15'6" to have people travel with if someone or two want to go and ability to pack stuff. Maneuverability of a Cat also I guess. And if I wanted to go travel somewhere packability maybe. Still looking so getn all the info before my purchase.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Two reasons: 1. A Cat mainly cause I live in apartments so the ability to break down and store....and 2. I like the options of the 15'6" to have people travel with if someone or two want to go and ability to pack stuff. Maneuverability of a Cat also I guess. And if I wanted to go travel somewhere packability maybe. Still looking so getn all the info before my purchase.
Two cat tubes are definitely easier to store & transport. The down side is that the frame is more complicated & heavy. Especially with a fishing frame. You might want to look at an NRS frame that breaks down into small pieces for storage. Mine is stored on a shelf in my garage in the off season.

If you'd consider going with a raft, there's a decent looking 14 ft.SB Riken with a frame & oars for sale on the NRS gear swap. Located in Twin Falls. $1500.

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts

Don't paint RMR with the same brush as Saturn. That a tube failed on a cat on a trip that you saw doesn't mean much to be honest.

Some buddies of mine R2ed a 12 foot RMR raft down Marsh Creek this spring the day before the Middle Fork peaked so it was six feet plus. Knowing that it had tons of wood in it I was concerned. The boys tagged two logs ( one pretty hard they said ) and not a mark on the boat that I could see. Certainly nothing that needed to be patched.

We also had a 14 footer on the Selway early June. The biggest problem was the PRV seemed to leak a little more than we wanted, so the floor needed to be topped every day.

You do all this boat bashing without even saying what the issue was: what happened? The way you say it suggests they hit something in Powerhouse. There is a rock in there that has ended much, much more expensive boats than RMR. Did they not have enough patch material? The tube left on it's own? Just jumped out of the frame and ran home?

Some things in your story don't add up. You could see the tube from the road(?) enough to know it was a RMR tube apparently? Was it not rolled up? Were they using it outrigger style to make a trimaran type set up?

If I had a cat tube to transport off the river I would likely roll it up and put it down in the floor but that is just me. I was skeptical at first but put some honest evaluation into these boats and I like them.

For reference: in the days I used to loan my Maravia - a buddy on a fall trip put an 8 inch by 8 inch L shaped tear in the left rear quarter below Velvet. Have no idea how they did that, but they did. Doing all the low water floats that I do, I carry enough material to patch an 8 to 10 foot floor rip in case I meet that boat killer in Powerhouse or the one in Pistol - so they had plenty of material. And I have to say for suspecting that there was serious drugs and alcohol involved they did a decent patch. And then left my repair kit on the beach - they whined about replacing it as it cost them $270 for what I had in that kit but they did.

We also put the same kind of hole only larger in an Avon Adventurer at the bottom of Shotgun on the day stretch of the Main Salmon.

I didn't blame the boat either time, but if that serves you go for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't paint RMR with the same brush as Saturn. That a tube failed on a cat on a trip that you saw doesn't mean much to be honest.

Some buddies of mine R2ed a 12 foot RMR raft down Marsh Creek this spring the day before the Middle Fork peaked so it was six feet plus. Knowing that it had tons of wood in it I was concerned. The boys tagged two logs ( one pretty hard they said ) and not a mark on the boat that I could see. Certainly nothing that needed to be patched.

We also had a 14 footer on the Selway early June. The biggest problem was the PRV seemed to leak a little more than we wanted, so the floor needed to be topped every day.

You do all this boat bashing without even saying what the issue was: what happened? The way you say it suggests they hit something in Powerhouse. There is a rock in there that has ended much, much more expensive boats than RMR. Did they not have enough patch material? The tube left on it's own? Just jumped out of the frame and ran home?

Some things in your story don't add up. You could see the tube from the road(?) enough to know it was a RMR tube apparently? Was it not rolled up? Were they using it outrigger style to make a trimaran type set up?

If I had a cat tube to transport off the river I would likely roll it up and put it down in the floor but that is just me. I was skeptical at first but put some honest evaluation into these boats and I like them.

For reference: in the days I used to loan my Maravia - a buddy on a fall trip put an 8 inch by 8 inch L shaped tear in the left rear quarter below Velvet. Have no idea how they did that, but they did. Doing all the low water floats that I do, I carry enough material to patch an 8 to 10 foot floor rip in case I meet that boat killer in Powerhouse or the one in Pistol - so they had plenty of material. And I have to say for suspecting that there was serious drugs and alcohol involved they did a decent patch. And then left my repair kit on the beach - they whined about replacing it as it cost them $270 for what I had in that kit but they did.

We also put the same kind of hole only larger in an Avon Adventurer at the bottom of Shotgun on the day stretch of the Main Salmon.

I didn't blame the boat either time, but if that serves you go for it.
Sounds like somebody's having a rough Monday morning!

Just reporting what I saw and heard and expressing MHO. Thought that's what this forum's about.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Dont buy a Saturn. Nothing to add on that.

Buy a quality used boat if you need to save the dough.

Yes 2 tubes may roll/store easier than a raft, but not by an order of magnitude or anything like that, and as mentioned the frames are bulkier and can make up for that. So get the right boat for what you need. I think there may be some consensus that 14' raft approximately = 16' cataraft as far as load/people hauling goes, but we will see...

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts
Sounds like somebody's having a rough Monday morning!

Just reporting what I saw and heard and expressing MHO. Thought that's what this forum's about.
How about reporting the rest of the story? Like what exactly went wrong.

I am having a terrific Monday morning though, thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I was at corn creek a couple weeks ago and saw a raft carying a single cat tube also... they said they lost it on the first day... it was not a rmr cat tube... the reason it wad not deflated was because it was some hard plastic tube that some guy told them was a bomber low water rig... long story short it exploded and the biggest piece was the size of a pie plate that they salvaged...nice folks... sounds like the same people... some where making the turn and some where not...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Now that I read your story again I know its the same boat we are talking about... you where running a single boat with a lab and a healer and have a sun brella or some sun sade of some sort. I saw you again camped at mallard.. you pulled in fully loaded the day of your launch and backed in until she floated.... yeah we saw the same boat and its not a rmr... it was some hard plastic tube.. before you bash a company make sure you know who actually made the tubes..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts