Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow paddlers,

Happy summer!! America's oldest and boldest whitewater festival - FIBArk! - is coming soon to the beautiful Arkansas River valley, which means an extensive line-up of river and land event competitions, including:

Whitewater Slalom Age Group National Championships
Pine Creek Race
Pine Creek to Eddyline Downriver Race
Byran Dreher R2 Sprint
Raft Rodeo
Tenderfoot Hill Climb
REP River Run-Off
Freestyle Competition
Slalom Race
SUP Freestyle, Cross & Downriver
Hooligan Race
Downriver Race

REGISTRATION FOR ALL EVENTS IS AVAILABLE HERE

Find a full schedule and details at | America's Oldest and Boldest Whitewater Festival | Salida, CO | America's Oldest and Boldest Whitewater Festival | Salida, CO!

Some events will change in format or date this year...noticeable changes include:

1) Whitewater Slalom Age Group National Championship will be held as a separate race this year on Wednesday, June 12th from 10 am to 1 pm. Register here.

2) The competition formerly known as the "Boater X" has been renamed the "Pine Creek Race" and will vary in format from year to year. This year, the format will be a sprint race through Pine Creek Rapid. The winners for 2013 will be determined on the fastest time through the rapid, and the Boater X format will wait for another year.

3) ALL registration will take place online. You can do this now at home, or on your smart phone at the festival, or at FIBArk's registration table on FIBArk's computers on-site. All bib pick-up and waivers will be available at the registration table at the FIBArk Boathouse.

4) The Freestyle competition for CADETS has been moved to Thursday, June 13th at 2 pm at the Boat Ramp Hole.

5) A downriver race from Pine Creek to Buena Vista has been added on Thursday, June 13th; it's called the "Pine Creek to Eddyline Downriver Race". This is a team race with safety regulations; find more info here.

6) There's a new land/river competition called the REP River Run-Off with an awesome cash prize! Find info here.

7) Speaking of cash prizes, here they are!

Can you feel the FIBArk love?!? It's in the air here on the Arkansas, and we can't wait to see you soon!

SYOTR,
Alli Gober, FIBArk Secretary and River Events Director

"Snow melting fast, and the river it became in the spring time..."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no swap, but lots of people sell their gear unofficially at the boat ramp. If you're looking for new, CKS in Buena Vista will sell you pretty much whatever you need!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 70 foot Ferris Wheel, free music all weekend and the Hooligan Race Saturday night. Who could ask for more?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
A 70 foot Ferris Wheel, free music all weekend and the Hooligan Race Saturday night. Who could ask for more?
I have enjoyed many years of Fibark fun, but this statement is exactly what I don't like about the festival. IMO you should be promoting the slalom races, downriver races, freestyle competitions, Pine Creek race and (sigh) even the SUP events. The other stuff mentioned is what makes Fibark a carnival instead of a river festival. Haters flame on, but I know I am not alone in this train of thought. I like what originally got Fibark started, the downriver. A lot of the people who attend the "festival" forget that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Admins can we make this one sticky please as the official FIBArk thread? Thanks

Before some of these comments get off topic, I will respond as a Board Member for this years festival.

Alli's post is 99% promoting our river events and a small blurb about the music and carnival. FIBARk is a river festival, with live music and a carnival. That will most likely not change any time soon. Next to the GoPro games in Vail we pay out more money in prizes than most festivals, and offer a wide selection of river and land events. Things like a carnival, live music, and even beer sales are necessary to support our hefty budget. FIBARk has also become the biggest summer event in Salida, and it is looked forward to by many locals who do not paddle. We have a need and a desire to offer something for everyone.

This years board of directors has gone to great lengths to make FIBArk more about boating and less about partying. Music was carefully selected to be more family friendly. We also added more river events and increased overall prize money for the river events. Eddyline brewing is our new title sponsor and they are 100% on board with our new philosophy. The owners are raising a family in this valley, and they want their brand to be associated with family fun and recreation in the valley, not drunken debauchery. We are so happy to have Eddyline on board for the next three years, and excited about the new direction of FIBArk. We hope you all are too. See you all soon!

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Glad to hear you are moving back towards river oriented events. The last half dozen years have been going the other direction. Although the carnival atmosphere brings more money to the community, I would honestly tell you that way more Salida locals actually leave town during Fibark than you might think. I personally make more money by having Fibark too, but sheer numbers should not be the driving force behind it.

I know at least one raft racing party that has won somewhere around a dozen times, but no longer wants to participate, because the event no longer represents the ethics and river stewardship he feels it should.

The addition of Eddyline as the sponsor is imo the best thing Fibark has done in a decade. I tried to stoke this fact as soon as I found out: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f21/eddyline-2013-fibark-title-sponsor-45997.html
Mic, Brian, Ryan and the whole Eddyline crew are just plain awesome. I raced with them today in the Paddlefest Race to the Grill.

I hope to see more boaters and less of the party scene this year.

Thanks for all the work you guys put in. I know it's not easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was very disappointed you only have 12 booths available for vendors
You were misinformed about that! FIBArk has more than 75 vendors in the park and on the boat ramp.

We'd love to look at your vendor application next year, but this year is already full. We hope to hear from all interested vendors in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't recall there ever being a swap at Fibark. There isn't even a paddle shop in Salida.

We are actually working on that. I run a shop called Surf Salida out of Gary Lacy's property next to Absolute Bikes. We are partnered with CKS to sell retail gear and RMOC is using the location as a sort of "Salida base camp" to book trips/lessons and organize their groups there.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to sell any used gear out of the shop this weekend or if your business would like to set up a small booth in the front. We have limited space for sure, but it could potentially be (along with the ramp) a sort of hub for those that (like most of us) are more interested in going paddling than going on the ferris wheel. And conveniently located far enough away from the park to drown out the party.

Tom and Alli thanks for all your hard work and communication. We all look forward to a great event with some legitimate flows this year!

Fraser Crenshaw
Surf Salida
[email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very serious concerns:

Hi, My name is Brooke. I was a junior competitor first boat on the Jr. women's US Team in Austria. I am from Salida, CO.

I am vacuuming old gradeau from the cracks of an old building in a big time rafting community because I am penniless, taken in after a couple of weeks on BLM after guide school & another job photo running fell through.

My concern is that over seven years ago I was in an automobile several hours away from town when given practically an over dose of meth amphetamine & then when I began to come down told I had to provide oral sex in order to have more which I needed to keep my physiological well-being in tact. The man was imprisoned within a month or two.

I am now seven years clean and sober, have many accomplishments, have undergone counseling, contacted crisis centers, spoken with police, and done many things to establish greater support for keepin clear of this severe problem to regain a life relatively on track and move forward with talent, skills, accomplish goals, progress in areas of interest, and thice healed and protected from the damage of this violation.

Thankfully, from BLM I was offered a place to camp from very conscientious people presenting opportunity to continue to spend the summer near to a river to kayak regularly upholding the skill level appropriate for my background an prestige. I came to a river community known for rafting with hopes & plans to take it up an have had things coming together often well-received. In the difficulty of getting by, I have committed to wood carvings I may sell to make enough to get by... Exceedingly time consuming I went to a neighbor for help & he's cleaning his new building. Still, sucking old gradeaux out of cracks (vaccuuming) on a day like today seems like a manifestation of this negativity that has kept me traumatized and often side-lined from life.

I have take. Great measures to nurture & heal my sacred feminine, uphold womanly values & self-presentation to represent, rock the style suitable of the prestige I my roles in the greater good, an this is the position that I am in on the opening mornin of FIBArk.

This cautionary notice is to raise awareness to the peculiarity of what has taken shape on a day when I care greatly to represent and fly the colors of genuine passion and deep caring for my community. I still smoke cigarettes & drink coffee, something I ask be taken lightly as crippled by poverty it needs be left alone while my struggle to get by is great enough without the pressures of opposition to these habits.

Regularly, I dream journal, do yoga (daily), go on occasional jogs, journal of great moments, scour the internet for action sport knowledge & skills upkeep, and plenty of things to be supported & find my way individually way beyond this disgrace.

I have often thought of presenting a motivational speech at FIBArk based on my appreciation for the community, accomplishments in kayaking, and greater good.

This is the nuts and bolts of a problem where things have taken shape in a bad way, I must go on, get past this, and see there may be better opportunities near taking shape. This is a bump in the road, though a concern I repeat, worthy of raisin CAUTIONARY NOTICE.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was 17 at the time & sobered up within a year havin touched nothing since. I still go out to party in occasion & celebrate worthy events!

I have since completed over 110 college credits, am transferring to finish a bachelor's, have an Outdoor Ed emphasis and Professional Ski Guiding Cert. for cat and heli ski ventures, WFR, have managed a hostel and been an innkeeper, worked many jobs around ski resorts, and traveled in Costa Rica and Guatemala. I have made many great memories to build up from rising way above this problem...

Just a RAPE AWARENESS... (statutory based on child prostitution laws... I was 17 & the man 29).... I have other issues, friends whom committed suicide, relationships damaged by my traumatized instability from this problem, etc.

Even so. Vaccuuming cracks in a floor on opening day of FIBArk? WARNING that's what's taken shape now. I hope this helps provide clarity & collaboration to work towards the better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably on with life, hanging out, kayakin this afternoon, dredding my hair, wood carvings, see my river people friends around, go further with plans to go rock climbing in notable places, etc.

Furthermore... I was a 15 yr old US Team member & the required age has turned to 16... Solutions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts