Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3/27 Update...

Denver Water turned on the tunnel recently and is currently holding tunnel flows at 128 cfs. Thats about 145 in the north fork at grant. Abnormally warm March weather is increasing demand for water on the plains, but runoff hasn't started in earnest in the high country, so they are pulling water through the tunnel. Denver Water thinks flows could be in the 120-200 cfs range from the tunnel in the next week, depending on weather. Keep an eye on the tunnel gauge just in case they crank her up to runnable flows.

Denver Water noted that they will probably be pulling more water through the tunnel this year than normal due to the low snowpack. Could be a good season on the North Fork, which is small consolation in a dismal snow year.

Also, note that there is currently a fire close to the north fork that has closed down foxton Rd (the way to get from 285 to foxton or waterton). If you are planning on doing some early season boating down there, check for road closures before you go.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4/4 Update...

Denver Water turned down the tunnel to ~170 cfs today after demand for water lowered after the spring storm. Denver water expects the tunnel flows to go up as the weather warms up, so keep an eye on the gauges.

The grant gauge is more accurate than the bailey gauge in my opinion. I would check it to see what tunnel plus natural flow is doing.

Grant gauge
Detail Graph

Also, the landowners at the old put in at the farmers union / rawhide flyfishing by the culvert bridge have asked paddlers not to park or launch there. A new parking lot was built right next (to the left of) the ATF liquor store in Bailey. Its a big lot and it has bathrooms, although they weren't open yet for the season last weekend. Please launch in Bailey and park at the new parking lot. The new parking lot will keep you a little further away from the grouchy feed store owner too.

As always... please respect 4 falls landowners. Do not piss in front of landowners, if you do have to go, go in the river so no one can smell your business, don't leave any trash and pick some up if you see it, be courteous to the landowners if you run into them, and be discrete when portaging or scouting at 4 falls.

Have a great Bailey season... its probably going to be a low water year savior.

Bailey Fest is Aug 10-12, so there is at least one bright spot on the calendar for a low water year. Hope to see you all there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ian - as always many thanks for the river level updates, and your efforts to keep us informed so we don't cross paths with the landowners or business folks in Bailey. I was wondering about the current situation with parking so this was very timely for me. I'll look forward to Bailey Fest - it might be the only game in town this year.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tunnel is going up right now. 263 at the 9:15 update, may be going higher. Gauge updates online every hour I think.

Nice Easter present from Denver water!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4/9 update...

Denver water is keeping the tunnel steady today at ~270 cfs. About 300 in Bailey. Grant gauge is more accurate than Bailey gauge. DW might turn down the tunnel a bit in the next couple of days depending on weather or demand. Get it while it's on!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4/11 update...

Denver water turned up the tunnel to 300 cfs today. Another 30ish cfs in the river. There is 340 at the grant gauge. Nice!

Denver Water cut back cheesman outflow as they are trying to fill cheesman, but runoff projections are weak, and they are concerned cheeseman won't fill.

My take... this will likely mean that cheeseman outflow is low during the pre-runoff period, and into the main runoff period (if we actually have one) as Denver Water tries to store water in Cheeseman. During this time, they will use the tunnel flows through the north fork to meet metro demand. Its looking like we could see some decent flows on the north fork in the near term.

Also... Bailey Fest is Aug 10-12 this year. With a weak snowpack and an early melt, my guess is that paddlers will be begging for something to paddle by the second weekend in Aug and Bailey Fest has got you covered!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know about the weekend Alex. Denver water tells me it depends on precip and demand. My guess is that flows hold thru Friday. Weather calls for rain & snow this weekend, so it's likely to drop over the weekend.

Keep in mind that DW typically makes changes a day after weather or demand changes so if it rains saturday they may cut the tunnel Sunday. Also, flows typically change in th AM on the weekend, typically 9ish. It takes ~3 hrs for a tunnel change to get to Bailey. If the tunnel is on friday night and you want to paddle Saturday my recommendation would be to get an early start and shoot to put on at 10 am or before to beat a potential water change. Or go later in the afternoon after you have seen if the gauge is dropping in AM. I would guess flows drop sat or sun with cool weather and precip. Keep an eye on the gauges this weekend. I'll update Friday with Denver water thoughts for the weekend.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yah, with this upcoming moisture do you think they might bring it back down and if they do will foxton still be runnable?

Keep the bottom side down!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4/13 update... Denver water is turning down the tunnel today. The thought it was going to 250 or 270, she didn't know exactly. My guess is that tunnel flows stay at that lower level thru sat and drop again Sunday. If you go Saturday I would suggest going early in case the turn off the tunnel.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4/14 update.

Denver water turned down the tunnel again today. 217 out of the tunnel, 230 in the river. If you are going for low flows tomorrow (sun) I'd go early as there us a good chance it could drop tomorrow too. Flows typically change around 9 and get to Bailey by noon, so putting on around 10-11 gets you on the water before it drops.

Looking at the weather I would guess that flows might come back up tue or wed next week as it warms up.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flows dropped on sunday as expected due to precip and cold temps. Weather warms up mid week, keep an eye on the tunnel as it could come back up.

I'll be in Cali April 21-29, so I will be out of pocket for Bailey Updates. Keep an eye on the gauges and I will get the updates going again when I am back in town.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4/19 update...

Denver Water turned up the tunnel to 250 cfs. There is 270 at grant in the river... thats enough to float my boat!

Cheeseman outflow is at 100 cfs, and Denver Water hopes to keep it there to try and fill up cheeseman some. Increases in demand will be satisfied by upping the tunnel. I wouldn't be surprised to see flows go up in the next couple of days, and would expect tunnel releases to be 300 or greater by early next week when the weather looks hot again.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts