Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Years Boater X race will again be at Number 4 rapid in the famous Numbers section of the Arkansas River Thursday June 14th!

This location was chosen again because the great access to the river, cost of the event at Pine Creek and the ability to attract more boaters to participate. The cash prizes will still be there for men's and women's classes and we will keep the small boat rule again. PLAY BOATS ONLY!!

We all know the water is low, but the numbers is a great section with any amount of water. And with some extra water in the works (hopefully) for FIBArk weekend, this is a great way to start the best weekend of the year in the Arkansas Valley.

If you know you will be there and want to help with kayak safety please message me or contact us through the FIBArk website.

Go to www.fibark.net for more information, registration, and all things past present and future as we celebrate the 64th New Belgium FIBArk Festival.

This years music line up is the best in years so do not miss a night of the FREE live music in Riverside park.

And to remember last years event watch this...Fibark 2011: Boater X Race at The Numbers #4, High Water. on Vimeo

and the stunning conclusion here...Lost...GoPro on Vimeo

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Who will be the top local Colorado finisher in this years event? Salidian, BV'er, or perhaps front rangers? I gotta go Salida.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Damn, really? I don't think you can call it the Pine Creek Boater Cross if your going to move it at both high and low water.......what is it now, the Numbers Boater Cross? Shit, I might have to enter...

edit: I see you are now referring to it as just the "boater X race"....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Since 2012 will be remembered as "the year of the fish" I am skippin the race this year and going fishin..

Hard to talk smack with the whopping 261 cfs in the ditch up in the numbers right now....

See you boys in 2013. Good luck to all that race.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think the pine creek boater cross was fun to watch because you got to see the best of the best, racing down a class V rapid with holes and rolls and swims and all that good stuff. Somehow a bunch of folks in playboats going down a class III rapid just isn't the same. 2,000+ cfs would be one thing but 300, 400, even 500 cfs???? Sorry, but at those levels it is class III. Just my opinion......

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hard to talk smack with the whopping 261 cfs in the ditch up in the numbers right now....
That about sums it up, *******.

Even though I greatly understand the position that FIBArk has taken to change the race from Pine Creek to number 4... I am deeply saddened to see my and Hixon's brainchild die on the tracks of cost-effectiveness and ease.

RIP Pine Creek Boater X Race... your glory will never be forgotten.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well, you *could* just get a group together and go up to pine creek and make your own race that day to protest!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well, you *could* just get a group together and go up to pine creek and make your own race that day to protest!
Definitely could... unfortunately, for the Pine creek race, I've got more important things to protest these days. ;) But, hey, if some young enthusiastic boaters chose to do something like this I wouldn't object. But I would probably advise them to head a few more miles north of Pine Creek to go even bigger up there at Lake Creek.

Also, I'm simply proud of the past accomplishment and can let it go and allow it to transform into what it needs to be at this moment. My comment was just expressing the loss, and not meant to downplay or diss all of the hard work that FIBArk does to put on a great event. Because if I really wanted it to stay up there I would have continued to be on the FIBArk board and worked hard, year round (like Phil and other organizers), to make it happen. And, in the end, I still support the awesomen'ness that FIBArk brings to the Ark valley as a whole!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2012 FIBArk Boater X race canceled.

The Boater X race at #4 rapid has been canceled. We had a great event last year and so not want to have a sub-par event. We are already looking forward to the 2013 season and the return of spring runoff. Thanks to all the volunteers and personnel who help with this event.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bummer to hear this on such short notice. #4 was the not a great low water choice for this year, probably resulting in decreased registration fees. Anyone interested in an unnofficial Pine Creek Race? Same time.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hey Hojo,

I just scouted PC and you'd have to make it playboat mandatory! It is so low and class III+ right now.
I'd be there if it wasn't for my TPS reports tomorrow.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd be there if it wasn't for my TPS reports tomorrow.

"TPS"? I understand that your job is important to your financial self. And your job directly reflects on all our comfort...but how many reports on Toilet Paper Softness do you have?

Ha ha ha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts