Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have problems with their 2011 RMR raft floor holding air? Have never been able to get mine to stay nice and inflated. Have changed the pressure release valve twice and done multiply hot soapy water tests on the floor, with no leaks. The boat has about 50 days of use on it. It will hold air pretty good on dry land but as soon as its on the water it goes very soggy within 30 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
Have you tried topping it off once you put it on the water? That is, you're sure it's not just the air in the floor cooling down?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I know my 2012 rmr floor does not hold the correct pressure. The relief valve pops around 2 psi. I think the floor should have 5 to 7 psi. This raft is 4 years old but only has 10 river days on it. I got it from a friend who just did not use it. I believe l am going to remove the valve and modify the spring.

·
Registered
649 Posts
P S If you have checked it for leaks then the pressure relief valve is the only thing it could be

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
I know my 2012 rmr floor does not hold the correct pressure. The relief valve pops around 2 psi. I think the floor should have 5 to 7 psi. This raft is 4 years old but only has 10 river days on it. I got it from a friend who just did not use it. I believe l am going to remove the valve and modify the spring.
5 to 7 psi? not unless it is drop stitched.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,477 Posts
If there was a wide spread problem with the floors of any RMR vintage I would have known about it since I do their warranty. They replaced a few floors that year, a couple with leaks at the corners of the floor (they were obviously bubbling) and there were a few replaced for blown I beams but held air fine. Nothing any other manufacture selling that number of boats didn't have.

If your floor is leaking to the point of needing topping off several times a day you should be able to find a leak on the floor or the PRV. If the PRV is leaking, clean or replace, easy enough. The 2011's came with a white dot (2.75 psi) which is the stiffest any floor I am aware of comes with. Actually, the new SOTAR's may come with a heavier one but Im not positive about it. PRV's are known to leak, they are always a problem and I clean mine incessantly. 90% of floor leaks that come into the shop have a PRV leak (coupled with other leaks sometimes). If there is another leak it can be patched etc. You can bring it in for professional eval if you cant find it.

There is no I beam floor that is made to run at 5-7 psi, typically 1.75-2.75psi. Dropstitch floors usually run around 10psi.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm sure you have but, have you checked the valve. I've seen them leak, and just needed another 1/2 turn to tighten. Soapy water will tell

·
Sponsoring Vendors
283 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as ThinkSnow - that sometimes people check the P.R. or main valve opening for leaks, but not around the outer edge. PVC can compress over time like an engine gasket, and in turn the valve becomes slightly loose - so always squirt the soapy water around the valve perimeter too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts