Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This it, the biggest and best venue yet. Not since 1999, has kayaking's freestyle world championships been held on a wave. Canada's Ottawa River and the Buseater Wave will host the World Championships April 29-May 5. Air will be a serious part of the competition. Who can go the biggest and still stick it? Look for live updates from Paddlinglife.net throughout the comp.

In the meantime, our staff decided to put together a few predictions for you bracket heads out there. Check out who we picked by clicking below. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. We realize some of you aren't fans of playboating but this wave, and the athletes competing there, could change the course of competitive freestyle kayaking. Surf on people.

Paddling Life magazine -- for Paddling, Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Kayak Fishing, Outrigger Canoe, Rec Boats and Touring, plus boating Blogs, Photos and News Clearinghouse.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It probably won't be on Buseater considering that the level is only at 11feet. Mini Bus doesn't come in until 16.5 feet and big bus until 23 feet. Regardless, I'm sure it will be at held at a very sick spot considering that it's on the Ottawa. Stephen Wright is defiantly one of today's best and most underrated playboater. He defiantly has a very good shot of taking it.
-Christian

·
Registered
269 Posts
As was pointed out elsewhere: Stephen Wright is very talented and would have a shot at winning it all, except we ain't on the team...

That right there shows how deep the talent pool is in the US.

Regarding the levels on the Ottawa, it is a big river with a huge drainage, and it has been precipitating up there as of late. Add to that the fact that the organizers have an agreement with the upstream dam operators, and there is a pretty good chance that Buseater will be there for the comp. It just remains to be seen which version of it. Also, FYI Buseater is there (surfable as a wave) from 15' to some ungodly level that hasn't been seen yet. They're hoping for MiniBus, but might get Big Bus. If that happens, commence swim practice!

·
Registered
851 Posts
We will have updates at the Team Dagger - Welcome site starting Saturday. I am headed Friday to do the announcing so I will get a ton of photos and information. I will get way more then just about our team but rather more about Worlds. This is the first one I have been to so im excited to see the whole atmosphere.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks

·
Registered
807 Posts
As was pointed out elsewhere: Stephen Wright is very talented and would have a shot at winning it all, except we ain't on the team...

That right there shows how deep the talent pool is in the US.
it also show how dumb the selection process is when the reigning national champ is not on the team...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Speaking of people who aren't able to compete and would have a good chance of winning. There is this kid, don't know if you have ever heard of him. Patrick Chamblin. Ya. He flushed on one of his rides at Canadian team trials. Didn't make the team. Regardless of all of your EJ, and Stephen talk (Not saying they won't kick ass on this wave) but watch a YGP video and try and tell me with a straight face that you don't think Patrick would win. He tried to get Jamacian Citizen ship just so he could compete on his home feature (You can read a bit about it in the current Kayak Session). The kid owns that wave.

·
Fred Gnarquist
403 Posts
however i see your point, i feel that patrick camblin cannot throw tricks as consistently, and as often as ej or stephen. when you watch a ygp movie, you see just the good tricks, not the entire ride, remember that is what counts, not if you can throw one huge trick. it will be interesting to see how ej and stephen adapt to buseater, the point that it is pat camblin's home wave is very valid, i agree

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I was just wondering how much $ goes to the winner of this. Braggin rights + how much cash = a national champ.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sorry how much $ + braggin rights = Champ of the World.

Also from the YGP video that I saw that Pat kid allong with everyone else in the video is shootin for 2nd place. That Yap guy kills it - best part in the video by far.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well then my dear friend fred. Have you ever personaly watched Stephen surf bus eater. If not the same thing applies. All his videos that he posts are very well edited also. Points will come with amplitude and the ability to stick the move. No one goes a consistantly big as Patrick.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yea it is shitty that Patrick can't compete.

Ever hear the quote "to be the best you have to beat the best". I would think that the new world champ would want to be tested against the best.

It seems as if this is not the case.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Stephen didn't make it either... Tough for both he and Camblin, but bottom line that how the cookie crumbles. They will have the entire competitive season around the US this summer to re-prove themselves as consistent winners, but I waned to mention someone that hasn't been commented here yet.

Nick Troutman is a Jackson Team member but is on the Canadian Team. He lives with the Jacksons and trains with EJ every day. The kid is 18, and basically I would put my money on him for at least top 3. First off, he was born raised on Bus. He trains litterally every day on either it or Rock Island and just got off of 5 weeks of training with EJ in Uganda on the Nile Special. Again (my opinion) but I have never seen a better more relaxed BIG wave rider than he period. He pushes EJ limits of big wave arial moves, but EJ instills in him the consistency it takes to be the top dog. On top of it all he is a very cool, mellow kid.

You can check him out in the new Hotel Charley flick. Blonde haired kid in the green mega.

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
416 Posts
My two Cents: Even though Patrick and Stephen aren't competing, I have seen them both surf up there last Nov when I was up there. Patrick is actually very consistent.... anyone who thinks its just the video is mistaken. I think the first ride he had that I saw was two bread and butters, a clean blunt, and one or two flashbacks..... That is a very consistent ride on mini bus. Stephen also would have a good chance as well. he has some dialed moves.... But patrick has also been surfing that wave for over 5 years....he knows it pretty well:But they both arent competiting so it doesnt really matter~

But back to some people that haven't really been mentioned. Moe Kelleher, out of Ireland was up there for a month training this winter. He goes as big as anyone, and has multiple competitions under his belt! Also Peter Csonka out of Slavakia! This guy is a terminator! He was also in Africa training as well, and has done well in numerouse competitions.... I personally think this will be a super tight competition... There are soo many talented athletes....Marlow long also has a good shot as well!. He had the highest scoring ride at team trials in pre-lims... He also has been surfing in WV a lot of this spring on the dries, and other waves! Anthony Yap would also be a person I'd put some bets on! Hes a super ninja! Im curious to see how it all actually rolls out! Should be super fun to keep track of!

Well, theres my 2 cents :D

Ben Guska

1 - 17 of 17 Posts