Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here in Colorado SAR CAN bill you, but you also can buy an SAR card, the proceeds of which support SAR teams, and you won't get a bill. Being past SAR and a current firefighter and EMS, I can tell you that donations are ALWAYS appreciated, even if the agency is in a tax district, which I'm sure the Poudre agency is in. Firefighters as well appreciate pastries as much as LE appreciates donuts LOL.

I seem to remember something about fishing and game harvest licenses having an SAR component built in, but I'm not sure about that.

Incorrect - Backcountry Search and Rescue is not billed for in Colorado.

In Colorado, sheriffs have an unfunded statutory mandate to provide backcountry search and rescue services, and they generally opt to do so through the use of volunteer teams. Most counties have a single team, some have multiple teams. Some sheriffs delegate almost all of their duty to the non-paid professionals; some have paid sheriff positions overseeing SAR; and others combine fire, EMS, and SAR personnel.

Colorado SAR teams do not charge for their services, and most receive little or no public funding. SAR team members are all volunteers.

The postion of CSAR is that backcountry search and rescue services are a public good. Lost or injured people in the backcountry who fear being charged may delay calling for help, resulting in greater risk to themselves and the rescuers. The CSAR position is in line with the US National Search and Rescue Plan as well as the positions of the Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) and the National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR). Please be aware, however, that if an ambulance or medevac helicopter is involved, there would be charges for medical transport.

·
Registered
AIRE Jag
45 Posts
This video literally has the best commentary of any rafting video on the internet. I just sent this to a buddy the other day. A true classic!

Isn't idaho class 3 class 6 lol ? Around here people say shite like ,"oh it's idaho class 4 man...rowdy!" Like Hawaii size waves lol!!! Funny! Here's a video of a idahoan (sp) who don't care what class it is he's going and the kids are too!!! "Shut up and get in the boat, it's class 2 (idaho class 2) bwahaa...

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Incorrect - Backcountry Search and Rescue is not billed for in Colorado.

In Colorado, sheriffs have an unfunded statutory mandate to provide backcountry search and rescue services, and they generally opt to do so through the use of volunteer teams. Most counties have a single team, some have multiple teams. Some sheriffs delegate almost all of their duty to the non-paid professionals; some have paid sheriff positions overseeing SAR; and others combine fire, EMS, and SAR personnel.

Colorado SAR teams do not charge for their services, and most receive little or no public funding. SAR team members are all volunteers.

The postion of CSAR is that backcountry search and rescue services are a public good. Lost or injured people in the backcountry who fear being charged may delay calling for help, resulting in greater risk to themselves and the rescuers. The CSAR position is in line with the US National Search and Rescue Plan as well as the positions of the Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) and the National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR). Please be aware, however, that if an ambulance or medevac helicopter is involved, there would be charges for medical transport.
Interesting, I haven't been involved with SAR here in Western Fremont county for many years, but we were all volunteer, and to my knowledge never sent a bill to anybody for anything, but I was hardly in charge of it

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
What's your fascination with keeper holes lol

Couple of things that got me about that whole thing, number one obviously they had no reason to be as far left as they were, and two once the boat flipped neither one of them swam back to it... That's your ticket down the river dude!

·
Premium Member
14' Expedition Rigged RMR
1 Posts
I walk my dog up the Poudre canyon several days/week, and I've been seeing some rigs and behavior on the river over the past couple of weeks that's had me scratching my head (and pulling over to gawk, if I'm honest). The river came up really fast a few days ago with the rain, I honestly wasn't surprised to see that someone had required a rescue.

I think that one of the things that makes the Poudre prone to silly behavior is that it's so easy to access, there's no real buy-in cost to getting on the water. Well, obviously you need a boat, but there's enough $ rolling around in Fort Collins that there are certainly folks who can splash for a nice new boat, then haul it up the canyon and toss it in the water even though they have no experience.

Glad nobody got hurt, hope that it was a lesson the oarsman remembers...even if it's just to wear a dry suit when the water is 35 degrees!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Watching some of the videos, I don't think they were wearing PFDs, and definitely not dressed to be in the water, and it just melted that morning, so its COLD! All in all, I'm glad they got out of it ok. While it is easy to get a little dumbfounded given it is Mad Dog, but under the circumstances, i think it could have turned deadly incredibly fast. Hope they learned a few things to make the next time a bit more successful. And if I had died, everytime I did something dumb, I'd be on more lives than most cats by now. I'm grateful for the lucky times too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Watching some of the videos, I don't think they were wearing PFDs, and definitely not dressed to be in the water, and it just melted that morning, so its COLD! All in all, I'm glad they got out of it ok. While it is easy to get a little dumbfounded given it is Mad Dog, but under the circumstances, i think it could have turned deadly incredibly fast. Hope they learned a few things to make the next time a bit more successful. And if I had died, everytime I did something dumb, I'd be on more lives than most cats by now. I'm grateful for the lucky times too.
Both had PFDS.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good to know, it was hard to pick ck them out of the video between the camera angles and identity bubbles.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Good to know, it was hard to pick ck them out of the video between the camera angles and identity bubbles.
Glad for the positive outcome
PFDs could be seen, however, they looked very similar to ski vests, not Type III

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Glad for the positive outcome
PFDs could be seen, however, they looked very similar to ski vests, not Type III
As close as I could see, they looked like fishing vests, not what one would prudently use on whitewater..

Reactions: 2tomcat2
41 - 57 of 57 Posts